Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
bad synchros :(

Thread: bad synchros :(

bad synchros :(

Hey guys, my M3 has bad synchronizers thanks to the previous owner who was under the impression that the clutch stop should be all the way out. Of course the clutch was never fully depressed during the shifts. The car only has 85k on it, but the synchronizer issue is fairly obvious. Anything over 4k and you feel/hear the synchronizers "rolling marbles" sound. Mostly apparent in 3rd gear. I am going to change the fluid just to see if it'll help some, but I know that the transmission needs work.

I suppose my options are to:
    1) DIY. (would like to avoid)
    2) get a shop to rebuild it.
    3) buy a used one, with a limited warranty.
    4) buy a rebuilt one, with "extended" limited warranty.

Anyone with some experience in the matter can walk me through my options/costs and what is involved?
    Last edited by ChosenGSR; 08-17-2006 at 08:00 PM.

You might want to use BG SynchroShift II instead of Red Line or whatever your preference is. I found my tranny running through the gears much smoother with the BG.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR View Post
    Hey guys, my M3 has bad synchronizers thanks to the previous owner who was under the impression that the clutch stop should be all the way out. Of course the clutch was never fully depressed during the shifts. The car only has 85k on it, but the synchronizer issue is fairly obvious. Anything over 4k and you feel/hear the synchronizers "rolling marbles" sound. Mostly apparent in 3rd gear. I am going to change the fluid just to see if it'll help some, but I know that the transmission needs work.

Anyone with some experience in the matter can walk me through my options/costs and what is involved?
    before replacing the trans, try using redline 75w90 NS. the ns fluids make synchros come to speed faster. i have played with these fluids to help cold shifts and it works. since the fliud is thicker, it may take a minute ot two of easy driving to get the fluid warm enough (that's only in 40 deg and colder)
    i needed to mix ns fluid because i am using a thicker gear oil to quiet my trans rattle from the flywheel. the ns helped shifting ease when cold.
    easier than removing the trans for the price of two bottles of redline.
    95 M3, 6-speed, 3.73
    Extensive weight reduction
    Website

I hear you guys, I am going to change the fluid pretty soon. Rob from UUC suggested Redline 75W140NS as a heavy fluid which typically helps with reducing the "sound" of the synchros and mixing it with Redline D4-ATF, 1:1 mix. However sooner or later (depending on whether changing the fluid will do anything) I'll need to address the real issue, so I want to be prepared.
    Last edited by ChosenGSR; 08-17-2006 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR View Post

If you do need to replace, find a used tranny, option C.

-- Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jkuper View Post
    If you do need to replace, find a used tranny, option C.
    I am leaning towards that choice as well, however if the price difference is within 2-3 hundred dollars, does it make sense to go for a rebuilt one?

Thread Information