Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Newbie Here!

                  
   
  1. #1
    Member ErikT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bethesda
    Posts
    75

    Newbie Here!

    Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum & a new owner. Just thought I'd say Hi & introduce myself. I recently purchased my first Bimmer: E30 325i (1990).

    So far I love the car. It handles like a go-cart due to H&R Springs & Billstein Shocks. Other than an ANSA cat-back exhaust it's mostly stock. Also a member of the 200K club.

    I plan on trying to attend a few events in the future and may ask stupid questions from time to time. Question one being...does anyone want to look over my shoulder while I reset my "Inspection" light on the dash? I've read instructions, but am a little hesitant to start connection wires.

    If any gearheads in the area are performing surgery on their E30's let me know and I'll lend a hand if there is something I can learn. My mechanical experience is limited to tinkering with a '74 landcruiser I used to own so I'd like to get a little more familiar with the mechanics of my "new" car.

    Cheers,

    -Erik
    Last edited by ErikT; 08-08-2006 at 11:24 PM.

  2. #2
    Member ErikT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bethesda
    Posts
    75
    Almost forgot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	selle30 015.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	201  

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lorton, VA
    Posts
    191

    Welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by ErikT
    Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum & a new owner. Just thought I'd say Hi & introduce myself. I recently purchased my first Bimmer: E30 325i (1990).
    So far I love the car. It handles like a go-cart due to H&R Springs & Billstein Shocks. Other than an ANSA cat-back exhaust it's mostly stock. Also a member of the 200K club.
    I plan on trying to attend a few events in the future and may ask stupid questions from time to time. Question one being...does anyone want to look over my shoulder while I reset my "Inspection" light on the dash? I've read instructions, but am a little hesitant to start connection wires.
    If any gearheads in the area are performing surgery on their E30's let me know and I'll lend a hand if there is something I can learn. My mechanical experience is limited to tinkering with a '74 landcruiser I used to own so I'd like to get a little more familiar with the mechanics of my "new" car.
    Cheers,
    -Erik
    Welcome! Like your car.
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    =====================================
    2007 328xi Coupe in sparkling graphite
    2007 GT3
    ======================================
    1999 Civic Si: Races in SCCA showroom stock C
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

    http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SC...01_04_0067.htm

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ft. Belvoir
    Posts
    363
    Another welcome to the DC world and I like your 4 door wench. I thought Delphin died out in 89?

    Reset your inspection lights and oil lights is not that bad, or ask some local memebr to you if they have a peake rc5. I have one but you are on the north side of DC and I am on the south.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Zchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    561

    Cool

    Welcome aboard dude, glad to see high mileage late model bimmers still have a place in the world. I'm also part of the 200K club however your bimmer is a full ten years older than mine. Come to some of the meetings and get involved, it only makes the experience all the more special. See ya around the block. Happy Motoring...
    Last edited by Zchild; 08-10-2006 at 12:20 PM.
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

  6. #6
    Senior Member AlfaEric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    N. Potomac, MD
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikT
    Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum & a new owner. Just thought I'd say Hi & introduce myself. I recently purchased my first Bimmer: E30 325i (1990).

    So far I love the car. It handles like a go-cart due to H&R Springs & Billstein Shocks. Other than an ANSA cat-back exhaust it's mostly stock. Also a member of the 200K club.

    I plan on trying to attend a few events in the future and may ask stupid questions from time to time. Question one being...does anyone want to look over my shoulder while I reset my "Inspection" light on the dash? I've read instructions, but am a little hesitant to start connection wires.

    If any gearheads in the area are performing surgery on their E30's let me know and I'll lend a hand if there is something I can learn. My mechanical experience is limited to tinkering with a '74 landcruiser I used to own so I'd like to get a little more familiar with the mechanics of my "new" car.

    Cheers,

    -Erik
    Welcome to the forum.

    I haven't done the service light myself but it should be pretty straight forward. I've had the Jiffy Lube (yes, I realize a lot of people hate Jiffy Lube) just north of you on Nicholson Ln reset my E30's light a few times.

    http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacg...042&Section=02

    ---Eric


    Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

  7. #7
    Senior Member SharkD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    519
    Looks good, Erik.

    If the Delphin paint is factory original (check the shock tower for the label), you want to wax it every 3 months with a good wax and wash it every couple of weeks, or else it will look like this before too long.

    Is the 'iS' trunk lid spoiler an OEM part or a Zender aftermarket. (The BMW part has a part number in an oval depression on the left rear of the spoiler.)

    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    ...I've had the Jiffy Lube (yes, I realize a lot of people hate Jiffy Lube)...
    JiffyLube (when I was 16) managed to put a softball-sized dent in the middle of my 1965 Mustang's hood -- they left the (metal) oil filler cap on top of the air cleaner assembly, slammed the hood down and then drove it around the block. That was the last time I let anyone that wasn't me (other than a trusted mechanic on occasion), change my oil. (According to a high school a friend of mine, they gave her her car back after filling the engine before replacing the drain plug, but I didn't witness that firsthand.)
    Last edited by SharkD; 08-09-2006 at 09:17 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member AlfaEric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    N. Potomac, MD
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    JiffyLube (when I was 16) managed to put a softball-sized dent in the middle of my 1965 Mustang's hood -- they left the (metal) oil filler cap on top of the air cleaner assembly, slammed the hood down and then drove it around the block. That was the last time I let anyone that wasn't me (other than a trusted mechanic on occasion), change my oil. (According to a high school a friend of mine, they gave her her car back after filling the engine before replacing the drain plug, but I didn't witness that firsthand.)
    That's why I wrote "I know a lot of people hate them". I've never had an issue with that one myself (I have had issues with other ones) but I do watch what they are doing and verify they put the cap and plug on before I leave (I've heard too many horror stories).... When you live in an apartment, you are limited on what maintenance you can do on your cars.

    ---Eric


    Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

  9. #9
    Senior Member BahnBaum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Havre de Grace, MD
    Posts
    172
    Welcome!

    I have always reset the oil and service indicators on my e30's with the simple wire method that you see on the internet. Never had a problem.

    Alex
    Interrobanged.

    TeamWTF?!


  10. #10
    Member ErikT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bethesda
    Posts
    75
    I think everyone has had some bad experience with a quick-lube place at some point. Jiffy lube used to tell me I needed new transmision fluid on every visit because it "looked dirty". It was funny to watch them backpedal when I told them THEY had changed it recently. Years ago I bought an 87 celica GT with a fresh engine, the PO had the oil changed and the tech didn't replace the drain plug...doh! I also live in an apartment where you are forbidden from repairing your car in the parking lot...which leaves me at the mercy of local shops. I've done some research and will probably take a drive to see Dan Martin in Gaithersburg if I have any major issues.

    I just got confirmation I'll be at the DIY event in Manassas later this month. I'll be resetting those service lights and replacing a reverse light switch.

    I suspect the paint may not be original, plus it looks like it has been run through the carwash a few too many times. I wasn't too concerned with the body when I bought it, I was more interested in finding a solid driver. It has an extensive service history with lots of the major wear items replaced. The interior was also swapped from tan to black by the PO.

    At point in the future I may think about an engine swap & new body panels.

    I think the rear lip is a Zender due to the fact that the paint is a slightly cracked on it. It also has E36 sideskirts, which makes it a little tricky when putting it on a lift

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Springfield, VA
    Posts
    135
    For the lights, if you want to come out to Rockville on a Friday evening, I'd be happy to reset with the Peake Tool.

  12. #12
    Member ErikT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bethesda
    Posts
    75
    Cool. I'll send you a PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Att. 2002 Owners...
    By jgm in forum Service
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 04:01 PM
  2. What does everyone do for a living?
    By Jed in forum Off topic
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 08:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •