Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
8/5/06 autocross... the course - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 8/5/06 autocross... the course

Quote Originally Posted by hoyabmw
    I thought the course was probably a little tight in some areas, especially for some of the larger cars.
    As one for the few (only?) people in a larger car (540), I thought the course was fine - not too tight at all. I liked the start, the sweeper/slalom at the bottom and the finish. Definitely a "different" set up for Bowie but I liked it. Only two comments, echoing what was said elsewhere:
    - There were a lot of pointer cones - I actually found them a bit distracting. Not sure why but I was surprised that even with them, there were so many off course runs.
    - The right turn at the of the downhill slalom was interesting. Watching the first heat/first run, we saw a *lot* of cars shudder left-right-left, as if they were trying to figure out how to set up that right hand sweeper. The best ones seemd to ignore the left cone and just went through straight but many drivers danced their way through. It was awkward.

38 seconds did make for a little bit of a short course, but the full drift into the finish was definitely fun.
    38! Forgive those of us amateurs with "larger"cars that were happy with our 45s!

David

The best part of the course was the fast left, and semi-slalom, after the traffic islands heading out from the start. Quick and technical, rewarding the drivers who read it right. I'd like to see more of this.

It's tough to design a course around the islands, no question. I'd suggest for novices, and over-eager veterans, alike, that in the future you allow at least another five-ten feet for the double cone wall approach to the island (unless the approach is slowed by a very tight turn, as has been done in previous events on the far side of the lot). Just allow a bit more space for the cars to settle before the island curb hazzard. I almost lost the MINI on the semi-slalom approach to the first island (going out from start) on my second run, and it kind of spooked me for my third and fourth runs. (The second move to the right in the slalom was just a little off camber.)

Of course, you can't think of everything.
    2004 Covette ZO6
    2008 Mustang Bullitt

You guys are right. The section of the course going through the curbs (the first time) was a bit over the top. When I drew the course I paper, it looked like there was more than enough room to straighten out before the curbs. When I was setting up the course, suddenly the lot looked a lot smaller. My goal was to allow speed through there, but in a safe way. I didn't 100% achieve that, but hopefully we can get there in the future. I was just so sick of the typical 5-MPH-chicago-box-before-the-curbs thing, I had to try something else. In the future I will try to allow more room before the curbs so people have some additional room to straighten out. It's a challenge because you don't want people going through there at the top of 2nd gear, either. Unless you're in Kevin's car or an STi, where 2nd gear tops out at what, about 43 MPH?

There was definitely an excess of pointer cones. I meant to take the extras away after a final review of the course, and honestly I completely forgot because I was eager to get the thing chalked and get the party started.

Thanks again guys. I certainly had fun and I wish JV was there because I think he would have had a blast as well. I have some more ideas for the next course...
    Ken K.|'03 Boxster

Quote Originally Posted by kenkamm
    You guys are right. The section of the course going through the curbs (the first time) was a bit over the top. When I drew the course I paper, it looked like there was more than enough room to straighten out before the curbs. When I was setting up the course, suddenly the lot looked a lot smaller. My goal was to allow speed through there, but in a safe way. I didn't 100% achieve that, but hopefully we can get there in the future. I was just so sick of the typical 5-MPH-chicago-box-before-the-curbs thing, I had to try something else. In the future I will try to allow more room before the curbs so people have some additional room to straighten out. It's a challenge because you don't want people going through there at the top of 2nd gear, either. Unless you're in Kevin's car or an STi, where 2nd gear tops out at what, about 43 MPH?

There was definitely an excess of pointer cones. I meant to take the extras away after a final review of the course, and honestly I completely forgot because I was eager to get the thing chalked and get the party started.

Thanks again guys. I certainly had fun and I wish JV was there because I think he would have had a blast as well. I have some more ideas for the next course...
    The next event is at Ripken. There should be plenty of room to play.

Just remember to avoid the 'jump'.

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    The next event is at Ripken. There should be plenty of room to play.

Just remember to avoid the 'jump'.

---Eric

Yes, yes. Avoid jump.

In regards to the pointer cones, I'm not all that worried about it as our events should have a novice bias. I rode with one later in the day and it seemed to help her go to the correct side of the cones.

Pete

I didn't have any problems with the gates through the concrete islands. I thought they were pretty much straight aways, no real change in car inputs through them.

In fact, there were so many cones lining the islands, I didn't even think twice about the danger of hitting it, I was focused on hitting the important cones where I had to brake and/or turn.

I liked the course, I agree that if you hit it right, there were 3 straights, and a few offsets, and 2 constant radius sweepers.

Ken,

I enjoyed the course. It seems difficult to design around those islands, but I think you were able to tie them in nicely.

If I could make a suggestion about the finish: I am 100% for a rolling finish, since it means I can put one more worker out on course, and not tending to the stop cone. I would like to see the finish maybe angled in a little more towards the center of that parking lot. This way the lights could be a little farther away from the curbs. That way if someone carries too much speed into the rolling stop, or spins out, they would not be in danger of hitting curbs or possibly timing. They would just be subject to cajoling by the announcer.

Overall, kudos! It was great fun, eventhough seeing Kevin [that bastard] Kenry's 38.too damn quick, made my mind up on not wanting to change tires, and wanting to punish the street tires.

Quote Originally Posted by kenkamm

There is nothing wrong with an "excess" of pointer cones, to be on the safe side. As long as things don't get too cluttered to the point of "sea of cones" confusion. I don't think it was a problem at all, really.
    2004 Covette ZO6
    2008 Mustang Bullitt

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarris
    There is nothing wrong with an "excess" of pointer cones, to be on the safe side. As long as things don't get too cluttered to the point of "sea of cones" confusion. I don't think it was a problem at all, really.
    I agree with Jim; visually there really wasn't any section of the course that got confusing.

Alex
    Interrobanged.

TeamWTF?!

It was a fun course even in my POS Volvo. When will results be posted? It was nice seeing all the E36 and E30 M3's. I owned 2 examples of the former and one of the latter. Great cars.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemd
    It was a fun course even in my POS Volvo. When will results be posted? It was nice seeing all the E36 and E30 M3's. I owned 2 examples of the former and one of the latter. Great cars.
    Results may take a while. Adam is in charge of them. I will start posting parts of his phone number each day then everyone can call him. That should make him hurry. I'll give him a couple more days before I start since there were computer issues.

---Eric

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan
    Overall, kudos! It was great fun, eventhough seeing Kevin [that bastard] Kenry's 38.too damn quick, made my mind up on not wanting to change tires, and wanting to punish the street tires.
    Get it right Booger...it was a 37.8xx

Kevin (HENRY)

Quote Originally Posted by hoyabmw
    Get it right Booger...it was a 37.8xx

Kevin (HENRY)
    He had it right... Your 38 second run made him not want to change tires... the 37 second run made him want to switch classes for next season.

---Eric

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    Results may take a while. Adam is in charge of them. I will start posting parts of his phone number each day then everyone can call him. That should make him hurry. I'll give him a couple more days before I start since there were computer issues.

---Eric
    I talked to Adam yesterday and he is trying to have them done by Wednesday. I think everyday afterwards, you should post a part of his cell number.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    I talked to Adam yesterday and he is trying to have them done by Wednesday. I think everyday afterwards, you should post a part of his cell number.

Pete
    Well, since he thinks he will have it done that soon....

---Eric

Thread Information