Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
E30 Dolly Towing

Thread: E30 Dolly Towing

E30 Dolly Towing

I need to tow a 5-speed E30 about 70 miles at highway speed. My truck's towing capacity isn't quite high enough for a rental trailer + car, so I'm thinking about towing with a dolly.

The U-Haul web site recommends disconnecting the drive shaft. I'm wondering if this is really necessary or just a precautionary disclaimer. I'm hesitant to put the rear wheels on the dolly (lock the steering or not?). Would rather tow from the front.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?
    Scott Lowrey

Banned
    Cost of a new drive shaft installed is about $1000.00. Mine went at around 220miles..

Dave Apker

Really. What causes the strain on the shaft? Seems to me it would spin free, just like it would if the car were coasting at speed with the trans in neutral.
    Scott Lowrey

Nevermind. I found my answer in the Bentley 3-Series manual:

"The cars coverd by this manual can be towed either flat, on all four wheels, or by a tow truck using wheel lift or flat bed equipment."

And, further:

"NOTE - There are no speed or distance restrictions when towing a car with a manual transmission provided the transmission lubricant is filled to the correct level."

Looks like I'm good to go!
    Scott Lowrey

Thread Information