Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Lotus Elise ok in driver school?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lotus Elise ok in driver school?

Lotus Elise ok in driver school?

I was wondering about the Lotus Elise. It is called a convertible, but I think it is really just a removable top, isn't it? Is it ok only with the hard top on? Or not allowed at NCC driving schools at all?

Quote Originally Posted by spric116
    I was wondering about the Lotus Elise. It is called a convertible, but I think it is really just a removable top, isn't it? Is it ok only with the hard top on? Or not allowed at NCC driving schools at all?
    They are not accepted in NCC schools, sorry. Not even with the hardtop.
    Being that they are not considered convertibles and would not require a roll bar,
    they are allowed in other chapters. Some organizations require the hardtop.
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 07-05-2006 at 07:33 AM.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Talking

Doh, Guess I will have to request a refund on my deposit from my Lotus dealership!
    Tom Buchanan
    BMW CCA Instructor
    ============================================
    1999 M3 (Track Rat)
    2002 540i 6-speed (My Car)
    1999 Acura 3.2 TL (Wife's Car)
    2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali (Family Mobile and Tow Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB_540i
    Doh, Guess I will have to request a refund on my deposit from my Lotus dealership!
    That wouldn't stop me. NCC is not the only game in town.
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 07-06-2006 at 07:02 AM.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Nope. Won't stop me either. It is unfortunate though. Oh well.

just wondering if you guys are worried about damaging an elise on the track..I came extremely close to getting one but I saw some pictures of various elises with damage that ordinarily I would think was minor, actually totaled the elise given the cost to replace the fiberglass shell pieces.

So i just pictured a runoff where I damaged the fiberglass costing me $10,000 and I backed off..

Its a great car though, Spric116 did you find one locally ? used ?

Jeff

I have been talking with the only dealer in the area i know of, Criswell in Gaithersburg. I went and drove one on saturday and am pretty much sold, just have make sure they can get the colors I want.

As far as damaging it, I have been a little worried about damaging my car anytime i have been on the track. I hadn't considered the potential for much higher repair costs on the elise, but I don't think that should be a factor in buying a car like this. It is quite possibly the most impractical (non-practical?) car in the world, but is so fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by spric116
    It is quite possibly the most impractical (non-practical?) car in the world, but is so fun to drive.
    Ray Korman, sometimes known as "Mr. BMW", has an Elise and was driving it at the Tarheel school at VIR this past weekend. I was talking to him about the car and he told me that he and his wife recently drove it from Greensboro, NC to Lime Rock, Connecticut to participate in a Club Race (not in the Elise), then drove on to Rochester, NY to visit relatives, and then back to Greensboro. He said it was great, and he's not a young as I am. Ray also has several "practical" BMW sedans he could have used.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by JLee
    just wondering if you guys are worried about damaging an elise on the track..I came extremely close to getting one but I saw some pictures of various elises with damage that ordinarily I would think was minor, actually totaled the elise given the cost to replace the fiberglass shell pieces.

So i just pictured a runoff where I damaged the fiberglass costing me $10,000 and I backed off..

Its a great car though, Spric116 did you find one locally ? used ?

Jeff
    why else would you get one other than to track it? that is what it was designed for.....the capabilities are wasted on the street!

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3
    Ray Korman, sometimes known as "Mr. BMW", has an Elise and was driving it at the Tarheel school at VIR this past weekend. I was talking to him about the car and he told me that he and his wife recently drove it from Greensboro, NC to Lime Rock, Connecticut to participate in a Club Race (not in the Elise), then drove on to Rochester, NY to visit relatives, and then back to Greensboro. He said it was great, and he's not a young as I am. Ray also has several "practical" BMW sedans he could have used.
    He must travel very light or buy clothes along the way.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Well, with a passenger in the Elise, there is room for maybe two small backpacks, and nothing else. There is as much storage space on my motorcycle with the roll bag on. Without a passenger, you could put stuff in the front seat i guess, but still not much room. That being said, it would be fun for a kind of long trip, but I would keep it to day trips, where you end up where you started.

And Elises have participated in the 8-day long One Lap of America without trailers.

With regards to the NCC policy on driver schools, I think the decision was based on the unknown strength of the Targa top.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Am I the only one here who thinks excluding a strong monocoque car with crush zones, an integral rollbar and a lengthy safe track day record (overseas included of course) is a bit odd?

Quote Originally Posted by mOlson
    Am I the only one here who thinks excluding a strong monocoque car with crush zones, an integral rollbar and a lengthy safe track day record (overseas included of course) is a bit odd?
    I think it's simply easier to make a general rule like 'no convertibles' rather than creating a list of vehicles we will and won't allow... Not to mention dealing with people constantly requesting certain cars get added to the list.

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

I can understand that point of view but am still disappointed to see it applied to arguably the most focused sports car the States have seen in many years. Wonder if the Exige will be allowed even though they are structually identical with respect to the top bits.

Thread Information