Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Winter Garaging Options?

Thread: Winter Garaging Options?

Winter Garaging Options?

Been a member of BMW CCA for the longest time but now am FINALLY an owner of a BMW. Unfortunately I do not have a garage at home.

While I do have a cover for my M3 - I was considering looking for a garage for winter. Definitely DONT want to park it any friend/relative's garage. So I was wondering do there exist commercial places where you could park your car and feel secure that you arent going to get any dings or dents?

Just wondering if it would be a financially viable idea.

Just FYI - Am in the Centreville Area. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pranu
    Been a member of BMW CCA for the longest time but now am FINALLY an owner of a BMW. Unfortunately I do not have a garage at home.

While I do have a cover for my M3 - I was considering looking for a garage for winter. Definitely DONT want to park it any friend/relative's garage. So I was wondering do there exist commercial places where you could park your car and feel secure that you arent going to get any dings or dents?

Just wondering if it would be a financially viable idea.

Just FYI - Am in the Centreville Area. Thanks!
    Yes, it is possible but I believe it can get expensive. Please remember that it is better to drive a car a couple times a month than store it for the winter. There are some places that offer climate controlled vehicle storage spaces for rent but I don't know any price ranges. A cheaper option is to rent a space in an office parking garage. I frequently see cars being stored in those garages. They just pick a corner spot that is somewhat out of the way where most people won't want to or be able to park next to them. Getting a car cover is still something to consider in this situation. Some of them are made for indoor use with extra padding to help reduce door dings.

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

A friend was telling me of some place - but apparently the rules are you have to drain the car of fluids - and I sure as hell am not getting into all those complications.

Rather than being over cautious I think my corner spot in my community with a car cover should do fine.

Besides the urge for taking it out on a good day might be a little too much - so I may as well have it sitting right next to me!

Quote Originally Posted by pranu
    A friend was telling me of some place - but apparently the rules are you have to drain the car of fluids - and I sure as hell am not getting into all those complications.

Rather than being over cautious I think my corner spot in my community with a car cover should do fine.

Besides the urge for taking it out on a good day might be a little too much - so I may as well have it sitting right next to me!
    Yes, some storage places have issues about 'volatile' chemicals - Gas, oil, etc... If you keep looking, I'm sure you can locate a place that allows vehicle storage (without draining all fluids).

It is better for the car if you drive it a couple times a month anyway.

Here are some generic storage tips:
    Inflate tires by a couple pounds - drive car whenever possible to avoid flat spots
    Get an oil/filter change before winter storage - some say old oil gets acidic so why let it sit all winter eating away at things?
    Add gas stabilizer - even if you are driving it, you probably won't drive enough to use up all the gas.
    Wash/vacuum car - dirt holds moisture and you don't want rust/mold...
    Disconnect battery - your accessories will drain it over time otherwise
    Cover all openings - to keep rodents from getting in
    Park on plywood - concrete will release moisture up into your car
    Cover car - keeps it clean and protects from dings

---Eric

Just find one of those places that rent out 10x20 ground level storage units and drive it in. should be under $50/mo

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    Yes, some storage places have issues about 'volatile' chemicals - Gas, oil, etc... If you keep looking, I'm sure you can locate a place that allows vehicle storage (without draining all fluids).

It is better for the car if you drive it a couple times a month anyway.

Here are some generic storage tips:
    Inflate tires by a couple pounds - drive car whenever possible to avoid flat spots
    Get an oil/filter change before winter storage - some say old oil gets acidic so why let it sit all winter eating away at things?
    Add gas stabilizer - even if you are driving it, you probably won't drive enough to use up all the gas.
    Wash/vacuum car - dirt holds moisture and you don't want rust/mold...
    Disconnect battery - your accessories will drain it over time otherwise
    Cover all openings - to keep rodents from getting in
    Park on plywood - concrete will release moisture up into your car
    Cover car - keeps it clean and protects from dings

---Eric
    Eric, I am impressed!!! Whats the deal with the concrete releasing moisture, I don't quite understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000_328ci
    Eric, I am impressed!!! Whats the deal with the concrete releasing moisture, I don't quite understand that.
    Concrete is naturally porous. It will absorb and release moisture. If you tape down a square of plastic and leave it for a while you might notice condensation on it. I don't quite understand why they recommend parking on plywood. When I'm storing my car in the past, I've just dropped down a plastic painter's tarp.

---Eric

Banned
    So is plywood. So why would you park on plywood?

Dave apker

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan
    So is plywood. So why would you park on plywood?

Dave apker
    That's why I use plastic... I'm not quite sure why people recommend plywood. My guess is the concrete is more of an issue depending on what is happening below it (water runoff, spring thaws, etc...). I guess the plywood will hold back some of the water. Maybe it's pressure treated/water sealed or mabe the wood simply releases the water slower than concrete so it has time to evaporate rather than condense within the car's body. Who knows? It's just one of those things that I've seen recommended over and over.

Personally, I just do it to save the garage from oil leaks.

---Eric
    Last edited by AlfaEric; 03-26-2006 at 06:32 PM.

Thread Information