Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Inspection I - Check and adjust valves

Thread: Inspection I - Check and adjust valves

Inspection I - Check and adjust valves

I recently had an Inspection I completed on my '04 M3 which has 27K miles.

There is a line item on the checklist that states "Check and adjust valves." How is "check" supposed to be defined?

I have heard many schools of thought on this and I am concerned because when I asked my SA, he said the engine sounded good so they didn't need to pull the valve cover off to check the specs.

Thank you for any insight you may have on this matter.
    Last edited by Slpnbyu; 06-09-2006 at 08:35 AM.

that sounds lame.
    the traditional way to check and adjust valves, the only way i know of, is to remove the cam cover and use a feeler gauge to check the valve clearances. spacer discs are used to adjust to spec.
    what else didnt they do?
    did this shop think the M3 has hydraulic valves like most bmws?
    do you have the full inspection I list? can get it if you log into owners circle at bmwusa.com

I do have the full list for Inspec. I from the Bentley Service Manual.

The SA was not able to provide me with a completed list that the Tech used. He said that the techs don't usually complete them. I was not pleased with the response, but I did make sure he stamped that the inspection was completed in my service manual.

But be sure and give them all 5s, of course, when that overly-happy telemarketer calls you! I swear, the lady used the words "great" and "fabulous" more than should be legal in a 3 minute conversation.

Sorry listening is NOT proper. The valve learances can be too small and sound great, but burn the valves.
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
    SCCA Spec Racer Ford Red/White

Turns out there was a miscommunication between the Tech and the SA. The Service Director was able to establish that the work was done correctly.

Thread Information