Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
history of turbocharged gasoline engine?

Thread: history of turbocharged gasoline engine?

history of turbocharged gasoline engine?

Hello:
    I was just reading about the new twin-turbo E90.
    Other than the turbocharged diesel engines, does BMW have history of making turbocharged gasoline engines in the past?
    I know they built one back in late 70s for 2002.
    Does anyone know??

I'm just curious. ^^

D.J.
    E46, E53, UZJ100

I believe the MINI is going to be turbo too.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

In mid '70s, BMW made a turbo 2002, which was not imported to the US, although there are a few around.
    In the '80s, BMW made a turbo charged 3.5L 7-series, which was called a 745i. It also was not officially imported, but some gray market examples made it here.
    Other than the diesels, also not sold here (for a couple more years anyway), BMW has not used turbo chargers. The new 335 (which is actually a 3 liter) sounds very interesting. It uses an aluminum block, not the same aluminum-magnesium used in other current BMW sixes. Current turbo technology seems to have eliminated, or vastly reduced, the turbo lag of the old days.
    Yes, the Mini will go to turbocharging in its new generation, not from Brazil but from Peugeot.

Anyone for a 335d?

Oh, and in racing, BMW made an outrageous turbo 4 cylinder, used in the 320 turbo David Hobbs raced in the US and in the IMSA GTP class and when it won the championship with Nelson Piquet in F1, an outrageous 1.4L 4 cylinder with about 1100 horsepower, in qualifying trim.
    Last edited by jhm5; 04-27-2006 at 08:19 AM.

Thread Information