Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
May (Shenandoah) School - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: May (Shenandoah) School

Quote Originally Posted by VA 330Ci
    Hi all. I am a new member, but will be at the DE (got my confirmation ). Question...Is driving to the track in the morning doable? Or do most stay at a close by hotel? I will be coming from Alexandria.

Other than that, just wanted to say hi and see everyone there!

Steve
    I have done it both ways. It's a pretty leisurely 1 1/2 hour ride from my home so its not so bad. I usually get to the hotel so late on Friday night that its more of a convenience thing vs. being more rested. Saturday night is the more desirable night to have the hotel room.
    Tom Buchanan
    BMW CCA Instructor
    ============================================
    1999 M3 (Track Rat)
    2002 540i 6-speed (My Car)
    1999 Acura 3.2 TL (Wife's Car)
    2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali (Family Mobile and Tow Vehicle)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ob325
    Quote Originally Posted by VA 330i
    Hi all. I am a new member, but will be at the DE (got my confirmation ). Question...Is driving to the track in the morning doable? Or do most stay at a close by hotel? I will be coming from Alexandria.
    If you want to get to the track at 7 when it opens, just leave Alexandria around 5:45am.
    Living in Pentagon City, taking the GW -> Sprout Run -> I-66 -> Dulles Toll Road/Greenway -> VA Route 7 -> Crums Church Rd/VA-632 -> Old Charlestown Rd/Hardesty Rd -> Summit Point Pike (and hitting the Shell station on Route 7 just after I-340/Berryville) would consistently get me to Summit Point at 6:55am, if I left at 5:40 am.

Personally, I preferred driving to the track over staying the night in Winchester or Charlestown -- the hour or so of driving made sure I was awake and I could be certain that the car was running fine -- you might not even be able to find a room, with the Jeff 500 going on at the same time.

A couple of tips:
    • Make sure you top off your tank at one of the gas stations (either the Shell or the ??? station on the other side of VA-632 from the turn to the track) -- you won't be able to get to the Main Circuit pumps and even if you could, you'd have to sell some vital organs to pay the total.
    • Take your numbers off your car before you leave the track -- Charlestown's finest go on revenue patrol alert during big race weekends.
    • Don't speed when you leave the track -- it'll feel so slow going the speed limit, but it's not worth it for the aforementioned reason.
    Last edited by SharkD; 05-07-2006 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joenationwide
    i am so bummed i have to miss this. if only it were 1 week later. have fun guys. i really want to check out shenandoah. i think its probably the perfect DE venue. (Ive heard its a little tight for racing).
    I survived racing on it. (2 days of practice, qualifying and full-on racing during my comp eval) It's not as tight as it looks, so long as you don't have a mechanical failure. I even had a Legends car push out and bump into me at the top of the rollercoaster (T14) and didn't even leave the track.

BTW, I'll make my triumphant return to NCC BMWCCA HPDE for the SP Main school. (Last milestone to qualify for IA.) If anyone's going to be down at VIR at the end of July, I'll make my 'official' racing debut on the North Course during the last weekend in July.

And you'll get to see the new Scuderia Smith paintjob.
    Last edited by SharkD; 05-07-2006 at 01:46 PM.

is registration still open for this? sorry for being late but i jsut found out about this and since my m3 wont be ready for the club race at Lime Rock id like to do a track dy between events. Is it still open, or can i register late? Ill be looking to run with the advanced group if not with instructors. if that matters at all. Also i probably wont need an instructor. Have a BMW Comp License and SCCA Regional Comp License. And ive driven Shenandoah before. with NJ Chapter

I am going to drive to the track both mornings. Is there anyone that is also driving from the Arlington/Alex area and would like to drive out together? Let me know.

Thanks Dax

Quote Originally Posted by Ball325
    is registration still open for this?
    Sorry. Registration is closed and the event is full. We have around 60 students each day plus a wait list.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

what about non-students?
    1987 E30 BMW 325is - LeMans Blue
    1990 E30 BMW 325is - Delphin Gray
    1988 E30 BMW M3 - White/Orange #044 -JP/ITE

what about non-students?
    Nope. It is not an open track day.
    All students are assigned instructors, including advanced and those with CR and SCCA licenses.
    Instructor sessions are for our instructors.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

oh well, theres always next time. Thanks for the quick response

Steve, or anybody,
    Will we be using the dedicated Shenndoah access road, or how will we get onto the track? I may have guests coming out at lunchtime (maybe with something for the grill), and don't want them paying for Jeff 500 access. Will this be possible, or are we "locked in"?
    Are we gonna have access to the BMW corral on Sunday? and what about guests? My Pop should be a defacto member by now.
    Actually, I'd be surprised if anyone has this all figured out already.
    Thanks for any info.
    Certainly nobody's gotta tell you to-
    enjoy your BMW.
    - Joel B.
    Joel Bossard
    ---------------------------------------------
    1998 M3/4, Silver driver
    2002 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 6-speed hauler
    2006 VW Jetta TDI commuter

Quote Originally Posted by slantsixm3
    Steve, or anybody,
    Will we be using the dedicated Shenndoah access road, or how will we get onto the track? I may have guests coming out at lunchtime (maybe with something for the grill), and don't want them paying for Jeff 500 access. Will this be possible, or are we "locked in"?
    Are we gonna have access to the BMW corral on Sunday? and what about guests? My Pop should be a defacto member by now.
    Actually, I'd be surprised if anyone has this all figured out already.
    Thanks for any info.
    Certainly nobody's gotta tell you to-
    enjoy your BMW.
    - Joel B.
    From what I understand we will be using the Shenandoah entrance up until a certain time. Then they will close the gate and move a security guard to the access road between the Shenandoah and the main track. I don't know the specific time but I would think everyone attending the school should be there my 9:00 am. After that people will need to use the main entrance.

Currently the plan is to forbid vehicular traffic between the Shenandoah and main track. Primarily we don't unnecessary people in the paddock since the skid pad will be hot.

We will have a BMW parking area at the main track across from the access road to the Karousel between the bathrooms and road.

We'll have to play it by ear. My primary concern is traffic coming down off the bridge into our paddock.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

oh well, theres always next time. Thanks for the quick response
    Our schools fill up pretty fast. This one was full in 3 days. Priority goes to NCC members, then outside chapter members and finally non-members.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

I understand. NJ and DelVal do it that way. but they dont have as many events.

Drivers' School: BBQ Grills

The Chapter rents BBQ grills for use by all participants at our drivers' schools--thanks to the Board and Steve for this amenity. Here are some guidelines:

As mentioned, they're there for everyone's use but the caveat is that nothing else is provided--no food, charcoal, utensils, plates, etc.--everyone must fend for her/himself. Ergo, bring whatever you want to cook/eat but keep in mind that you're best served by quicker-cooking items (12-hour slow cooked suckling pigs are not really a good idea, cooking-wise; half-frozen chicken takes just about as long), especially at lunch time where time is limited. Bring along some charcoal and some fluid to contribute to the cause, too; one or two people shouldn't always be supplying (and buying) these items for everyone. Same thing with plates/forks...Think about bringing along a cooking utensil, too. Most importantly, Bring something for your Instructor--you do want a good evaluation, don't you? And, a volunteer or two might be needed to fire things up an hour beforehand to handle the lunchtime crush.

You can disregard the above if you'd rather just go eat the SPR silage...

Also, keep in mind that a bunch of us are staying and cooking out on Saturday evening--same things apply: bring whatever you want to eat and drink (don't forget the wine glass and corkscrew) and pay homage to your Instructor with a good bottle of wine--82 Bordeaux, DRC, Colgin cabs, Grange, any Montrachet, Gaja Barbaresco, Dom, will almost do nicely...

Quote Originally Posted by dderr
    Big Snip:
    bring whatever you want to eat and drink (don't forget the wine glass and corkscrew) and pay homage to your Instructor with a good bottle of wine--82 Bordeaux, DRC, Colgin cabs, Grange, any Montrachet, Gaja Barbaresco, Dom, will almost do nicely...
    Gee, I was thinkin' more along the lines of "Boone's Farm...........!"
    Chuck Grafton
    '90 ///M3
    '99 ///M3
    '05 X3
    Springfield VA

Thread Information