Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
The dB - An Electronic Distribution Option?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The dB - An Electronic Distribution Option?

Lightbulb The dB - An Electronic Distribution Option?

I was just wondering if the chapter was considering giving its members the option of receiving an electronic (PDF, presumably) subscription to der Bayerisch in lieu of the mailings?

Either way (download or email attachments), assuming a large enough number of members participate, I would assume that this could save the NCC a decent chunk of change between the smaller print run and the reduced postage cost.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    I was just wondering if the chapter was considering giving its members the option of receiving an electronic (PDF, presumably) subscription to der Bayerisch in lieu of the mailings?

Either way (download or email attachments), assuming a large enough number of members participate, I would assume that this could save the NCC a decent chunk of change between the smaller print run and the reduced postage cost.
    I don't think we'd get rid of the print copy of the dB. It is also currently a requirement I suppose that could be an option in the future.

Someone had given Roy lots of back issues that I would love to get them scanned and pdf'd so I can upload them.

We use pdfs to proofread the current dB but due to the nature how it is laid out, some ads are not there until it goes to print. That can be remedied though.

We do spend a fair amount of money on postage.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    I don't think we'd get rid of the print copy of the dB. It is also currently a requirement I suppose that could be an option in the future.

Someone had given Roy lots of back issues that I would love to get them scanned and pdf'd so I can upload them.

We use pdfs to proofread the current dB but due to the nature how it is laid out, some ads are not there until it goes to print. That can be remedied though.

We do spend a fair amount of money on postage.
    I was thinking about that a while back. My concern about posting the back issues it that there is the potential that a lot of people would hit them right after you posted them and our bandwidth usage might skyrocket. Posting current issues wouldn't have the same problem since people would already have the printed copy.

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    I was thinking about that a while back. My concern about posting the back issues it that there is the potential that a lot of people would hit them right after you posted them and our bandwidth usage might skyrocket. Posting current issues wouldn't have the same problem since people would already have the printed copy.

---Eric
    We have 50Gb of bandwidth/month. I could post them in the middle of the month since our allotted bandwidth restarts on the 1st. We generally use less than 3Gb a month.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

We have 50Gb of bandwidth/month. I could post them in the middle of the month since our allotted bandwidth restarts on the 1st. We generally use less than 3Gb a month.
    I just check the file size of one of the proofs and noticed it was only about 1.5 megs. For some reason I was thinking they were much larger. My concern wasn't about posting the new issues as much as the back issues. If you posted a years worth of back issues, there will be some people who will download them all at once.

---Eric

I just check the file size of one of the proofs and noticed it was only about 1.5 megs. For some reason I was thinking they were much larger. My concern wasn't about posting the new issues as much as the back issues. If you posted a years worth of back issues, there will be some people who will download them all at once.

---Eric
    I could always post a limited number of issues over time. Roy is going to make some phone calls regarding the past issues. I'll email Raine about upcoming issues.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

I could always post a limited number of issues over time. Roy is going to make some phone calls regarding the past issues. I'll email Raine about upcoming issues.
    Will this be a members only feature/area?

---Eric

Will this be a members only feature/area?

---Eric
    Right now I don't have a way to make a members only area. But I wouldn't want to restrict downloads. it's a good way to show off what we do and have done.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Right now I don't have a way to make a members only area. But I wouldn't want to restrict downloads. it's a good way to show off what we do and have done.
    Do you check membership #'s for the forum? Could you simply build an area within it where you attach the issues (sorry, I know I'm creating more work )? Many clubs only offer a sample of the current issue. If people want more or access to back issues they could then join.

---Eric

dB online back issues

Guys,
    I have electronic files of all issues (at least I think) that I have worked on for the past several years. These can easily be made into PDF docs without involving any scanning. The only thing is that, as Steven mentioned, some of the ads are not there. (Some are so old they can't be scanned and are stripped in from the previous issue.) We can always leave blanks for all the ads that are in these docs. It would also make the file sizes a lot smaller.
    -Raine

I still think we should just have the current issue available as a section of the CCA's site. Under dB, there should be a "click here" link to review the current issue

Past issues? You mean like "der Bayerische" April 1976?
    8 pages. Typed.
    Treasurer's Report - $516.27 balance as of April 1.
    Let's see, there's the spring tour from Annapolis to St Michaels, an announcement that BMW of North America's racing effort includes The Peter Gregg Racing 3.0 CSL. The chapter held monthly meetings at the Diamondhead Restaurant in Bethesda (long since burned down if i remember correctly). And... some familiar names... committee chair... still involved in the BMW community - roach, riblett, toy

Quote Originally Posted by jhm5
    Past issues? You mean like "der Bayerische" April 1976?
    8 pages. Typed.
    Treasurer's Report - $516.27 balance as of April 1.
    Let's see, there's the spring tour from Annapolis to St Michaels, an announcement that BMW of North America's racing effort includes The Peter Gregg Racing 3.0 CSL. The chapter held monthly meetings at the Diamondhead Restaurant in Bethesda (long since burned down if i remember correctly). And... some familiar names... committee chair... still involved in the BMW community - roach, riblett, toy
    I think those would be great to have. I'm waiting to hear back from Roy about scanning past magazine versions.

Raine, how hard would it be to insert the missing ads?
    I think they should be included. We have the space.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

I can scan them (quality may not be perfect) and place them into the Quark docs and create the PDFs. It's no big deal, I only need to look for and locate the ads in the proper issues.
    -Raine

Quote Originally Posted by BMW0299
    I can scan them (quality may not be perfect) and place them into the Quark docs and create the PDFs. It's no big deal, I only need to look for and locate the ads in the proper issues.
    -Raine
    I that that would be great. Then I would copy the covers and maybe copy the table of contents for each issue. Plus with John's dB that will really date us. Can aprchment be scanned? I think this will be pretty cool. Plus once you have the ads scanned it will be much easier to upload future issues.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Thread Information