Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Questions: Sykesville, the MINI Classes
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Questions: Sykesville, the MINI Classes

Questions: Sykesville, the MINI Classes

Two questions:

1. What is the lot like at Maryland State Police, Sykesville, where we have event number 2? This is where they train the MSP in defensive driving and so forth, right? Is it most like Ripken, Bowie, or Manassas in terms of size and quality? (I'll show up anyway, but I am hoping it's a nice lot, and of course it's always nice to drive a new venue to see what it's like.)

2. Is it possible to either abolish the MINIMOD and MINI classes or allow us MINI drivers to register in the X Class if we wish? Last event I "won" the MINIMOD class and Al "won" the MINI class against no competition whatever. This is kind of pointless, isn't it? I would have been happier finishing second to John V in the X Class, honestly (no shame in that), and then plotting how to beat him next time (which I may or may not ever accomplish). Anyhow, I miss the X Class, which was a lot of fun last year. Can I register in the X Class in future events if I want? Seriously.

Thanks. (BTW: I enjoyed the last event, despite the weather, and kudos to the guys for bringing it off so well.)

Jim Harris
    2004 Covette ZO6
    2008 Mustang Bullitt

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarris
    Anyhow, I miss the X Class, which was a lot of fun last year. Can I register in the X Class in future events if I want? Seriously.
    I believe you can register yourself in X next time. Eric or Pete will be able to confirm.
    Having a class with one car is not very competitve, although that's how I ended up getting a trophy one year.
    The MINI class is an experiment for this year.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarris
    Two questions:

1. What is the lot like at Maryland State Police, Sykesville, where we have event number 2? This is where they train the MSP in defensive driving and so forth, right? Is it most like Ripken, Bowie, or Manassas in terms of size and quality? (I'll show up anyway, but I am hoping it's a nice lot, and of course it's always nice to drive a new venue to see what it's like.)

2. Is it possible to either abolish the MINIMOD and MINI classes or allow us MINI drivers to register in the X Class if we wish? Last event I "won" the MINIMOD class and Al "won" the MINI class against no competition whatever. This is kind of pointless, isn't it? I would have been happier finishing second to John V in the X Class, honestly (no shame in that), and then plotting how to beat him next time (which I may or may not ever accomplish). Anyhow, I miss the X Class, which was a lot of fun last year. Can I register in the X Class in future events if I want? Seriously.

Thanks. (BTW: I enjoyed the last event, despite the weather, and kudos to the guys for bringing it off so well.)

Jim Harris
    After all the years of people arguing for the MINI class and you want to drop them?

The MINI classes are experimental and could disappear if there is a lack of activity. There were several other MINIs registered for the event but we had a waitlist of around 30 cars (all non-members) and lots of no-shows (90+ pre-registered and less than 70 ran). The waitlist length seemed to be normal for the first event as people from other clubs are trying to get some seat time in. The waitlist gets shorter and sometimes disappears through the middle of the season so there should be more MINIs at future events (hopefully). Normally I would have let more cars in but since it was our first event for the season and we knew we would be rusty setting things up and running the event, we didn't want to push our luck.

I'll have to check with Pete to see if you can register for X-class for the next event. You might piss off the people who fought for the MINI class.

Edit - I emailed Pete and pointed him to this thread.

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    I'll have to check with Pete to see if you can register for X-class for the next event. You might piss off the people who fought for the MINI class.
    That person now has a Z Coupe.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Whoops, forgot to answer your other question. The MSP lot is great. Nice size, good pavement, no light poles or concrete islands.

---Eric

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    That person now has a Z Coupe.
    But still drove the MINI to the event.

---Eric

IIRC, MSP is closer to Manassas in size. The lot surface is nice and there are no poles but the runoff area is lined with large rocks.

You guys should figure out how to incorporate the wet skidpad into the course
    -Hampton

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Ham
    You guys should figure out how to incorporate the wet skidpad into the course
    I'm not sure what they have planned. It could be tough to do that since we need a place for grid.

---Eric

MINI Classes

Actually, Eric, I never argued for a DEDICATED MINI class, the thought among some of us was including the MINI in OTHER classes, along with E30s, M-cars, or whatever. Maybe Prepared Sport? I realize there is no perfect fit, no easy solution, and the MINI isn't quite a BMW. The X Class turned out to be fine, as far as I was concerned. So being taken out of it was a little jarring. (Al may feel differently, of course.) I don't want to be a PITA, though, if you want to leave it as it is.

Anyway, onward and upward, as they say.

Jim
    2004 Covette ZO6
    2008 Mustang Bullitt

After all the years of people arguing for the MINI class and you want to drop them?

---Eric
    I talked to Jim about a Mini class last year and he told me he was not in favor of an all Mini class.

Al Z now has an M Coupe too, but felt obligated to drive the Mini since he had campaigned for the Mini classes. I think he'd rather drive the BMW now.

The SCCA practice event in March had 18 drivers in Minis. I wonder how many of them know they could join the NCC and have another place to play.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I'm not sure what they have planned. It could be tough to do that since we need a place for grid. ---Eric
    Just having the skid pad open for play.. I mean instruction would be great.

I know I could use it.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

It's the closest lot to me, but I can't make event #2. Grrr... I'll have to get a few more practice events in with other clubs until event #3.

MINI class

The thought was to encourage other MINI owners, in the DCMM club for instance, to run with the club with a dedicated class. X class implies ANY car, stock or otherwise - hence the idea for a MINI class.

Regardless of whether I have purchased an ///M Coupe, I felt compelled to autocross the MINI, after requesting the Club consider the MINI class. Jim has a Corvette but chooses to bring the MINI. Either car could be registered in "X". Or is there an obligation to register in the MINI class?

If the DCMM had not had a tour I wonder how many would have come. (Eric, how many MINIs where waitlisted?) I know you admitted all of the club members. (Thanks!)

The MINI class is on a trial basis. By the looks of its popularity after one event perhaps it'll end up like the Edsel.

Quote Originally Posted by agzavala
    If the DCMM had not had a tour I wonder how many would have come. (Eric, how many MINIs where waitlisted?) I know you admitted all of the club members. (Thanks!)
    My guess is DCMM is much like any other club. They have their core group who do social/tour events. Probably a group that does SCCA autocrosses. With few crossing over. NCC has their autocross group with a few doing driving schools or tours. The tour group with a few doing concours. There are a few exceptions of course, but on a whole I think most people stick to one aspect of a club.

Unless DCMM are members they are going to be on the waitlist for every event.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Thread Information