Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
e30 antenna grommet removal procedure

Thread: e30 antenna grommet removal procedure

e30 antenna grommet removal procedure

i looked in the bentley manual (i have an '87 e30) for a procedure to replace the rubber grommet on the power antenna. they tell you how to disconnect the antenna, but they don't say anything about replacing the grommet that keeps water from leaking in around the antenna.
    can anyone point me to a procedure to make this repair?

thanks,
    jim

Take the antenna out and then you can get the gromet out. If should come right out once the antenna is out

Jared

i loosened the antenna locking nut and slid the antenna out, but it looks like there is a metal sleeve that fits inside of the grommet and extends down into the trunk area. i imagine that this would be connected to the metal shaft from the antenna motor assembly that penetrates up through the trunk.
    or does this metal piece inside of the grommet just pop out if i pull on it hard enough? i try not to pull on things too "hard enough" anymore. i tend to break stuff when i start really yarding on them.

thanks for the help,
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by beckley
    i loosened the antenna locking nut and slid the antenna out, but it looks like there is a metal sleeve that fits inside of the grommet and extends down into the trunk area. i imagine that this would be connected to the metal shaft from the antenna motor assembly that penetrates up through the trunk.
    or does this metal piece inside of the grommet just pop out if i pull on it hard enough? i try not to pull on things too "hard enough" anymore. i tend to break stuff when i start really yarding on them.

thanks for the help,
    jim
    According to this site, you just pry the old grommet out:
    http://zoso.no-ip.org/318i-antenna.html

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

i cut mine out. It was a pain to get back in but use some soap and water and in time it will go back. I dont remember any metal piece

Jared

well, i figured out the smart way to do it. pushing and shoving that piece of rubber into that hole was just NOT working.
    1) follow the bentley procedure for removing the antenna from the antenna motor (this is done outside of the car).
    2) pop open the trunk and remove the felt liner that covers the antenna motor. you'll have to remove the jack, lug wrench, and left tail light cover (it pops right out with a twist of 2 knobs) to get access to the motor.
    3) slide the motor off of its mounting rails and drop the assembly down about 3 inches. this allows you access to the old grommet. pop it out. pop in the new one. reverse the order of disassembly.

i know this might sound like a lot of work. however, it only took about 5 minutes. no joke.
    i had been monkeying with trying to push the grommet into the hole for about 20 minutes. live and learn, i guess.

jim

Thread Information