In yesterdays excellent weather, the SCCA hosted the first NE National at Summit Point.
There were 8 races and they all made for great watching.

My race was with the T1, T2, T3, SSB, and SSC crowd. Unfortunately, Saturday qualifying was in the wet. This resulted in a lopsided grid. For example. the two T2 STI's were gridded on the pole and in 2nd. Many FWD SSB and SSC cars were ahead of many RWD T1 Corvettes.

The grid augured a scary start, so more than a few racers appealed to the Stewards for a split grid, which would put all the "T" cars in front of the Showroom Stock cars, but the request was denied.

If you saw the start, you saw some serious bumping and jockeying for position. It was chaotic.

In my class there were 9 SSC cars and I started 6th. Joel Lipperini had the pole and John Heinracy was second in a new Cobalt. Both drivers have won multiple national championships. On a very early lap John and Ken Payson (another former national champ) came together in the carousel and John suffered a tire blowout which put him out of the race. The tire carcass, however, remained on the track at the apex of turn 10.

Joel won. Ken was 2nd, and I wrestled my way up to 4th. Despite the carnage, it was a great race, and I had fun.

Anyone see it?

Barry