Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
The SCCA National

Thread: The SCCA National

The SCCA National

In yesterdays excellent weather, the SCCA hosted the first NE National at Summit Point.
    There were 8 races and they all made for great watching.

My race was with the T1, T2, T3, SSB, and SSC crowd. Unfortunately, Saturday qualifying was in the wet. This resulted in a lopsided grid. For example. the two T2 STI's were gridded on the pole and in 2nd. Many FWD SSB and SSC cars were ahead of many RWD T1 Corvettes.

The grid augured a scary start, so more than a few racers appealed to the Stewards for a split grid, which would put all the "T" cars in front of the Showroom Stock cars, but the request was denied.

If you saw the start, you saw some serious bumping and jockeying for position. It was chaotic.

In my class there were 9 SSC cars and I started 6th. Joel Lipperini had the pole and John Heinracy was second in a new Cobalt. Both drivers have won multiple national championships. On a very early lap John and Ken Payson (another former national champ) came together in the carousel and John suffered a tire blowout which put him out of the race. The tire carcass, however, remained on the track at the apex of turn 10.

Joel won. Ken was 2nd, and I wrestled my way up to 4th. Despite the carnage, it was a great race, and I had fun.

Anyone see it?

Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    =====================================
    2007 328xi Coupe in sparkling graphite
    2007 GT3
    ======================================
    1999 Civic Si: Races in SCCA showroom stock C
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SC...01_04_0067.htm

How?

BTW, how did I get to be a "Senior Member" of this Forum?
    Did someone figure out my age?
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    2007 GT3
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

Quote Originally Posted by Barry
    BTW, how did I get to be a "Senior Member" of this Forum?
    Did someone figure out my age?
    Barry
    Probably based on +100 posts.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Barry, I think I was talking with you outside of registration. I was sitting with Elizabeth and Steve. We all race SRFs.

I had a pretty bad weekend up to the race. Handling problems on Fri which we finally solved, then serious lack of power problems in the rain for qualifying. Ended up 26th out of 34 for the start.

Had a great start and hooked up with Steve by turn 2, and chased him around until he took a ride though the gravel in turn 3. I went on to a 15th place finish. I was happy, my first National and not really any meaningful sessions prior to the race.
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
    SCCA Spec Racer Ford Red/White

Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone
    Barry, I think I was talking with you outside of registration. I was sitting with Elizabeth and Steve. We all race SRFs.
    I had a pretty bad weekend up to the race. Handling problems on Fri which we finally solved, then serious lack of power problems in the rain for qualifying. Ended up 26th out of 34 for the start.
    Had a great start and hooked up with Steve by turn 2, and chased him around until he took a ride though the gravel in turn 3. I went on to a 15th place finish. I was happy, my first National and not really any meaningful sessions prior to the race.

Terry,
    I'd say you had a successful weekend. Nationals are tough, but they make you a better driver. On top of that we had lots of rain.

My race group includes T1, T2, T3, SSB, and SSC, which makes for interesting racing because of the speed differentials. At Summit Point the T1 cars lap us twice. We had a total of 40 cars but there were only 9 in my class, and I finished 4th. I was pleased with that.

I think you should be pleased with your result as well.

It was chatting with you at registration.
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    2007 GT3
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

Yeah, differing speeds makes life interesting. Last Oct and this March I ran the ECR and CCPS races at VIR. ITS, SRF, IT7, ITA, ITB, ITC, SM, SSM, and I think SSB and SSC, but no SS cars (other than Miatas) ran. Over 30 seconds between fastest and slowest. LOTS of passing.

Sounds like we had a simliar weekend, just above half way point in our classes.

I had fun, once we got through all the problems. The handling problem on Fri was a suspension bracket with the holes ovaled, so that the right rear would change toe under various forces. The toe out under braking entering Turn 3 was especially fun.
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
    SCCA Spec Racer Ford Red/White

Sounds Like Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone
    Yeah, differing speeds makes life interesting. Last Oct and this March I ran the ECR and CCPS races at VIR. ITS, SRF, IT7, ITA, ITB, ITC, SM, SSM, and I think SSB and SSC, but no SS cars (other than Miatas) ran. Over 30 seconds between fastest and slowest. LOTS of passing.
    Sounds like we had a simliar weekend, just above half way point in our classes.
    I had fun, once we got through all the problems. The handling problem on Fri was a suspension bracket with the holes ovaled, so that the right rear would change toe under various forces. The toe out under braking entering Turn 3 was especially fun.
    Sounds like you had fun. What sanctioning body hosted those races??
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    2007 GT3
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

Thread Information