Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Pictures from April DE at Jefferson
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pictures from April DE at Jefferson

Pictures from April DE at Jefferson

I just put up my pictures from this weekend's drivers' school:
    http://gallery.dinomite.net/main.php?g2_itemId=3467

Why isn't there a picture of your car?
    - I hate you
    - You hate me
    - I hate your car
    - You were at the beginning of a pack and therefore to fast (read: awesome) for my camera to capture

Why are there so many pictures of car X?
    - The car is awesome and the owner should give it to me
    - That car is my car and, I am awesome, ergo it is awesome
    - That car is my brother-in-law's car
    - Wagons on the track are funny, in a good way

Anyone else have pictures?
    Drew
    1997 Boston Green ///M3 Coupe

omg, all that blue painter's masking tape on the red m3 is hilarious!!!

Wink

yeah that is my newb friend who was a poseur Manny

I give him credit for finally succumbing to doing a DE.

In our group of friends it was me (yellow turbo, B group), Bill (silver STi, A group), Romella (blue 350Z, B group), and Manny (red m3 with tape, C group).

Here's what we thought of the event:

http://www.karljay.com/main/index.ph...iewtopic&t=691

Manny was a bit scared but I hope he was not scared off doing other events in the future.. i think he had fun tho.

I even made a goofy video found in that link... got video clips of a bunch of people including that speeding Mini ;-)

Had fun, but I'm probably done with Jefferson for a while.. back to Shenandoah and hopefully VIR or other tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ
    Had fun, but I'm probably done with Jefferson for a while.. back to Shenandoah and hopefully VIR or other tracks.
    Jefferson is a funny track. I usually do not look forward to it the way I look forward to the Grand East. But at the end of the day the Jefferson is a ball. I like the repetition of a short track.

lap times?
    Don't worry so much about lap times. Focus on driving.
    We could use a nice little article for the dB if someone is inclined.
    It's probably too late for this issue unless you really hurry up.

I was concerned about that tape flying off and distracting another driver.
    There really isn't the need for that much tape.
    There are more chips on the drive to the track.
    Our paddock is paved so there really not that many rocks flying at you like at VIR sometimes.
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 04-03-2006 at 10:31 PM.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

the lap times are unofficial and just for fun...it does give an idea of improvement. Believe me I focus on what my instructor says, his word is law :-)

As for an article, I would love to. I did a writeup on my first event (at Jefferson as well with this club) that a lot of people enjoyed including my instructor then Adam Konrad:

http://www.karljay.com/cars/forum.php?postid=3566

I'm not sure what you're looking for but that's just a sample I made for fun. We can talk more later...

(edit) for the tape thing, we made fun of my friend Manny plenty... including his stalling out. He's a newbie, but at least he is eager and willing to go out there. I am trying to encourage him...
    Last edited by KJ; 04-03-2006 at 10:33 PM.

I'm glad everyone had a good time. It was a good event.
    I think people soon find out that there is more to driving than just flooring it on the straight. Wait until you do a few schools in the rain. That is when you really appreciate car control. Especially when everyone is tip toeing through the course and you just drive your line around everyone.

Driving schools are a slippery slope.
    You start going further and further to look for new tracks.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

yeah I know, I'm slowly getting sucked in.. that was my 4th event, 2 at Jefferson, 2 at Shenandoah.. now i'm looking at VIR and OHIO..

i started DEs just to get better at driving these fine cars. Now I'm grabbing friends to join in.. currently at 7. I even got a friend to buy a sports car so he can join in haha.

As for control, yeah that's one thing I love about these small tracks.. it doesn't reward power. I find myself maybe making up a half a second on acceleration only to lose it on the turns..

I have now started to look for less powerful, but lighter cars. :-)

now i'm looking at VIR and OHIO.
    Mid-Ohio is only 7 hours away.
    Northern Ohio BMW CCA has a school every Memorial Day weekend.
    I like that one since I stay Sunday night and drive back home Monday morning. This will be my 5th time at Mid-Ohio.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

I have now started to look for less powerful, but lighter cars. :-)
    Heh, you've got a great car there, but I feel the same thing. As you do more driver's schools, it's a lot more gratifying to become faster by your own skill than through mods.
    Drew
    1997 Boston Green ///M3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti

Driving schools are a slippery slope.
    You start going further and further to look for new tracks.
    oh boy, de's WERE a slippery slope. a slope that led to a cliff for me! stay on that nice blue square trail folks, avoid the double black diamond sign...

keep working on manny in the red m3....i hope he comes back for more de's with a huge grin on his face....and no more blue tape...

Quote Originally Posted by dinomite
    Heh, you've got a great car there, but I feel the same thing. As you do more driver's schools, it's a lot more gratifying to become faster by your own skill than through mods.
    that and I'm really afraid of crashing it... looking for something a lot less expensive but still competent.

that and I'm really afraid of crashing it... looking for something a lot less expensive but still competent.
    There is always a risk but if you drive within your comfort level you will be fine. I like the fact that I drive my daily driver and I must drive it to work on Monday.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

yep but I'd rather have a more dedicated track car.. and once in a while take the Turbo out too.. lessen the risk but still maintain knowing ur car.

I was planning to post in-car video from Sunday's race on the Shenandoah, but the battery in the camera died in the false grid... (I doubt any of you really want to suffer through video of lap after lap of 3-car leapfrog passing drills).

For those just beginning to feel the effects of Track Addiction (warning signs may include: tire marks on forearms, permanent helmet-hair, irritation at minivan drivers who don't give early point-bys on the beltway, obsession with finding the ideal corner entry speed for your driveway, etc.), spend your money on seat time and safety, not 'performance' -- you'll become much better, much faster.

And I'll agree with Marshall, HPDE's are a slippery slope... three years ago, I signed-up for the HSS/DS to learn how my 635CSi handled... last year I bought an E30 so that the 635 could be saved from the stress and potential for damage of track time... this year, I've bought a trailer, am looking for a tow-vehicle, go through tires and brake pads like water, have to practice yoga to actually get into the car and I'm agonizing over shedding 190 lbs off the already stripped E30. Soon, I expect that I'll be wearing my HANS device and racing shoes 24 hours a day.

Edit: One last thing -- be very careful about "lap times", especially if you have some sort of in-car timing mechanism. If something (bad) happens and your insurance company even hears a rumor that you might have been timing your laps (and they do check public message boards), not only will you probably not get any money, but you're likely to be dropped. A Traqmate without a display unit is a grey area... but on the whole, the risk to your insurance just isn't worth it to try and time laps during an HPDE. The best way to figure your progress is an instructor in the passenger seat, and if you're solo'd, your relative position versus a similar car in your group.
    Last edited by SharkD; 04-04-2006 at 02:33 PM.

yep but I'd rather have a more dedicated track car.. and once in a while take the Turbo out too.. lessen the risk but still maintain knowing ur car.
    I agree. If I had a dedicated track rat I wouldn't be sorry worried about lowering it and driving it in winter. Plus I wouldn't have to swap brake pads as often.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Thread Information