I finally got around to trouble-shooting my 1995 525i Trans Prog message, and have concluded that the most likely cause is a failed EGS module. I need a volunteer to let me try a computer swap. Here's my reasoning:

1.The Trans Program came on suddenly during a drive and without any prior transmission performance symptoms. Points to an electrical problem.
2. Selector switch rings out OK and display tracks mode properly, so eliminated switch as contributor.
3. No codes are displayed, either stomp or using the Peake tool on the diagnostic connector. This probably rules out the trans speed sendor, since it the computer should show it bad if it caused the Tans Prog error.
I reasoned that even if the speed sensor is bad, the fact that the computer doesn't show a code for it points to the computer being bad.
4. I cleaned all connections to the selector switch, as well as pulled and reseated the computer connector.

My Request:
Is there anyone out there that is willing to meet me here and allow me to try their EGS module in my car as a final diagnostic step before I buy a new module? I know it's alot to ask, but I figure it's worth a shot.
Cheers,
Dan Z
Annapolis