Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
E34 Trans Prog Problem

Thread: E34 Trans Prog Problem

E34 Trans Prog Problem

I finally got around to trouble-shooting my 1995 525i Trans Prog message, and have concluded that the most likely cause is a failed EGS module. I need a volunteer to let me try a computer swap. Here's my reasoning:

1.The Trans Program came on suddenly during a drive and without any prior transmission performance symptoms. Points to an electrical problem.
    2. Selector switch rings out OK and display tracks mode properly, so eliminated switch as contributor.
    3. No codes are displayed, either stomp or using the Peake tool on the diagnostic connector. This probably rules out the trans speed sendor, since it the computer should show it bad if it caused the Tans Prog error.
    I reasoned that even if the speed sensor is bad, the fact that the computer doesn't show a code for it points to the computer being bad.
    4. I cleaned all connections to the selector switch, as well as pulled and reseated the computer connector.

My Request:
    Is there anyone out there that is willing to meet me here and allow me to try their EGS module in my car as a final diagnostic step before I buy a new module? I know it's alot to ask, but I figure it's worth a shot.
    Cheers,
    Dan Z
    Annapolis
    Dan Z, Annapolis, MD
    BMWCCA since 1986
    E30 E34 E39sport E46xit
    JC Sharked

Problem Solved. Cancel Request.
    Dan Z, Annapolis, MD
    BMWCCA since 1986
    E30 E34 E39sport E46xit
    JC Sharked

Solution

After going over all the connections again, and recording all the sensor resistances I could measure, the culprit turned out to be the computer contacts. The second time I reseated the compuer after cleaning the contacts with alchohol the problem went away. It's been five months without a recurrance.
    Dan Z, Annapolis, MD
    BMWCCA since 1986
    E30 E34 E39sport E46xit
    JC Sharked

Thread Information