Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
5 Series and Drifting

Thread: 5 Series and Drifting

5 Series and Drifting

Hello,

I am looking into buying a 2001 BMW 528 and was wondering if they have limited slip diffrential and if you can turn off Traction Control. Are they easy to drift? Please let me know.

Thank you
    Feras

No LSD.
    You can turn off ASC-T.
    Drifting a 5 series?
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Worst car possible for drifting. I also wouldn't want to learn to drift on a car like that, with so much possible monetary loss. Pick up a 240sx, or another inexpensive RWD car.

I would think you would be much better off with an M3, rather than a 5er.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

I think you'd be better off not drifing.... imho
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

When I had my 540 on the skidpad instructors would always comment on how well balanced it was. Even with an open diff you can get the rear end to come out pretty easily. No, it's not an m3, but it can still be fun.
    -Hampton

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    Drifting a 5 series?
    Bud tried a drift contest once and from what I hear he did pretty well.

It's the archer, not the arrow.

Yes, but Bud was driving his M5, which has MUCH more power than a 528. Think about my car, 323is 170 hp, non-LSD compared to an E36 M3, 240+, and LSD. It does make a difference. When I did the drift contest at HypRfest in 2004, I ran on 225 R's on the front and some crappy Visa 195's on the back. It snapped loose on turn-in, and I just floored it and countersteered. I was getting too cocky when I hit the wall on the inside of Turn 8. Get something with an LSD for control, and better power-to-weight. Although, non-LSD can be better for smokey burnouts, think Bill Brochu.

Bimmer 3

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer3
    Yes, but Bud was driving his M5, which has MUCH more power than a 528. Think about my car, 323is 170 hp, non-LSD compared to an E36 M3, 240+, and LSD. It does make a difference. When I did the drift contest at HypRfest in 2004, I ran on 225 R's on the front and some crappy Visa 195's on the back. It snapped loose on turn-in, and I just floored it and countersteered. I was getting too cocky when I hit the wall on the inside of Turn 8. Get something with an LSD for control, and better power-to-weight. Although, non-LSD can be better for smokey burnouts, think Bill Brochu.

Bimmer 3
    Yeah, but you're a ricer.

Thread Information