Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Change in Carbotechs Treatment of BMW Club Members

                  
   
  1. #1

    Change in Carbotechs Treatment of BMW Club Members

    So, I've been a BMW club member for over a year now, mainly just to keep up with current BMW trends (via the free rags) and so I could register early for the autocrosses (SCCA is getting to time consuming and demanding). As a side benefit Carbotech has been giving me 10% off brake pads for my cars, Mustang, Mazda, etc. I called up this week and was informed that if I am going to use my BMW Club discount to order pads the pad HAD to be for a BMW, otherwise the discount didn't apply. Also, the discount is only good for certain things....they would not apply to to the rear pads I was ordering for my Mazda (they gave me the discount this time, but for future purchases they would not).

    I'm not sure who works up these sort of things between vendors and the club but I think it needs to be spelt out more clearly in the membership benfits (either on the BMW site or Carbotech, since they are using BMW Club as a promotion) how the discount applys and should be good for the term of that membership. It's sort of the old bait and switch saying I'd get 10% off pads from vendor X then be told I'm not getting that anymore. Oh and if you think 10% is pocket change I pay $150 for a set of FRONT pads that last about 2 weekends. I do about 8 weekends a year, plus testing, plus rear pads. With a 10% discount that was MORE than paying my BMW membership. Guess I'll be looking for another club to join so I can keep the discount. (I'm still sticking w/ BMW, for the autocross ).

    Just wanted to give you guys and FYI and see if there was anyone to contact about talking Carbotech out of this. They make a great product, but treat their customers like shit sometimes (I have other examples but that wasn't the point of this thread).

  2. #2
    Senior Member 1996 328ti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    3,438
    As far as I know, the BMW CCA does not work deals with vendors.
    If a vendor is offering a discount, that's great.

    BMW dealers vary from 10%-%20 off list which varies from MSRP to markup list. They are independent businesses and free to run their business they way they want.

    So let me get this straight, you want to use your BMW discount for parts that are not on a BMW? Vendors set their own policy.

    You are going through brake pads in 2 weekends?
    I think that is a whole 'nother issue.

    Does Larry still own Carbotech?

    Edit:http://www.carbotecheng.com/main.html doesn't list BMW CCA but it does SVT Cobra Mustang Club
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 03-16-2006 at 01:03 PM.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

    318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    As far as I know, the BMW CCA does not work deals with vendors.
    If a vendor is offering a discount, that's great.

    BMW dealers vary from 10%-%20 off list which varies from MSRP to markup list. They are independent businesses and free to run their business they way they want.
    That's fine, but I don't see how they can just up and change policy like that, while companies can do what they want, they need to take the customers into consideration when doing so.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    So let me get this straight, you want to use your BMW discount for parts that are not on a BMW? Vendors set their own policy.
    Yea, why not? It is still a benfit of membership right, what difference does it makes what I do with it? I could be making art work out of BMW parts. Hell, we have guys running p-car brakes on mustangs.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    You are going through brake pads in 2 weekends?
    I think that is a whole 'nother issue.
    Pretty much, they aren't totally done, but close enough,

    Summit Pt

    Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    Does Larry still own Carbotech?
    Edit:http://www.carbotecheng.com/main.html doesn't list BMW CCA but it does SVT Cobra Mustang Club[/quote]

    I do not think Larry still does. The guy on the phone mentioned this was the 'new owners' policy.

    Well, it use to list BMW club there's another

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Springfield, VA
    Posts
    135
    I think it would be taking too much advantage of a BMW CCA membership to get a deal on parts for a non-BMW car, when you aren't an owner of said car, especially.

  5. #5
    Senior Member 1996 328ti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    3,438
    Quote Originally Posted by white_2kgt
    I do not think Larry still does. The guy on the phone mentioned this was the 'new owners' policy.
    I've been buying directly from Carbotech for several years. I never even knew about a discount. A couple years ago Larry was looking to sell to some Mazda guys in Ohio. I don't know whatever happened. Contact magnetic1. He sells Carbotech locally.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

    318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    I've been buying directly from Carbotech for several years. I never even knew about a discount. A couple years ago Larry was looking to sell to some Mazda guys in Ohio. I don't know whatever happened. Contact magnetic1. He sells Carbotech locally.
    I'll do that. Thanks.

    I wonder what they will say when someone from Tarheel Sportscar Club wants their discount, I guess you have to attend so many of their events to get it. If they didn't make such a kick ass pad I'd say f-it. But damn they stop something good.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. NJ DE and Club Race at Summit Point August 14-15
    By 1996 328ti in forum HPDE sponsored by Specr53.com
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 10:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •