Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
VA: HB 314 DMV; assessment of fees on certain drivers.

Thread: VA: HB 314 DMV; assessment of fees on certain drivers.

VA: HB 314 DMV; assessment of fees on certain drivers.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...=bil&val=hb314

Summary as introduced:
    Assessment of fees by Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) on certain drivers; use of fees collected. Requires the DMV Commissioner to impose and collect fees on drivers who have accumulated more than four net driver demerit points or have been convicted of reckless driving, aggressive driving, driving on a suspended or revoked license, DUI, or any other misdemeanor involving operation of a motor vehicle. Annually, minus the cost of collection, the funds shall be deposited into the state treasury and credited to the county, city, or town where the assessed person resides according to his address on record with the Department and, in consultation with the Commonwealth Transportation Board and the General Assembly, shall be used to pay for residential and secondary road improvements. This bill has been incorporated into HB 527.

Visit http://conview.state.va.us/whosmy.nsf/main?openform for your state senator’s contact information.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...=bil&val=hb314

Summary as introduced:
    Assessment of fees by Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) on certain drivers; use of fees collected. Requires the DMV Commissioner to impose and collect fees on drivers who have accumulated more than four net driver demerit points or have been convicted of reckless driving, aggressive driving, driving on a suspended or revoked license, DUI, or any other misdemeanor involving operation of a motor vehicle. Annually, minus the cost of collection, the funds shall be deposited into the state treasury and credited to the county, city, or town where the assessed person resides according to his address on record with the Department and, in consultation with the Commonwealth Transportation Board and the General Assembly, shall be used to pay for residential and secondary road improvements. This bill has been incorporated into HB 527.

Visit http://conview.state.va.us/whosmy.nsf/main?openform for your state senator’s contact information.
    Gee, what a great idea. Now when you get pulled over, you get to pay a ticket, probably court and laywer fees (if you decide to argue it), increased insurance and now the MVA will bill you. Knowing the MVA, they will harrass you whether you owe the fine or not.

Right now they are trying to fine me over $1200 for insurance compliance. I've faxed them the required form multiple times, mailed it a couple more times over the past 2 months and yet they still sent me 2 more letters THIS WEEK threatening to confiscate my plates. Hopefully VA's MVA is better than MD's.

It isn't bad enough that Montgomery county is getting automated speed cameras. Yes, that garbage was approved. But don't worry, it isn't meant for revenue, it's for "safety". The fine is "only" $40 and is limited to school zones and residential areas 35 mph or less. I'm just wondering if that means an $80 ticket since those areas are frequently marked for double fines.

http://www.gazette.net/stories/01250...11_31909.shtml

Edit - sorry for the rant. These transportation bills are pissing me off!
    ---Eric
    Last edited by AlfaEric; 02-25-2006 at 04:21 PM.

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    Edit - sorry for the rant. These transportation bills are pissing me off!
    ---Eric
    Eric,

You should be pissed.

The answer to this "problem" is to write to your elected representatives informing them of your opinion on the legislation. A written response goes a long way because most elected officials keep track of comments and will actually base their official position on the comments they receive. I'm not being sarcastic - it's really true. However, just because you write a letter, that doesn't mean that you're the only one or that all the comments they receive will be like yours. So, they may take a position opposite of yours. Which leads to the next thing you can (and should) do - vote!
    Rafael Garces
    NCC Street Survival Coordinator
    NCC Past President (2003-2005)
    '16 BMW 340i - Estoril Blue, M-Sport, Track Handling Package
    '13 Porsche Boxster S, Amaranth Red

You know the traffic rules don't bother me. It's the excessive billing for no reason what's so ever. They of course are going to say that the city/county needs to pay their staff and the revnue generated by this will help offset the extra costs.

Man does this state sound just like the Communist wealth of Massa-2-shits.

Some days I can't stand be a military spouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafgar
    Eric,

You should be pissed.

The answer to this "problem" is to write to your elected representatives informing them of your opinion on the legislation. A written response goes a long way because most elected officials keep track of comments and will actually base their official position on the comments they receive. I'm not being sarcastic - it's really true. However, just because you write a letter, that doesn't mean that you're the only one or that all the comments they receive will be like yours. So, they may take a position opposite of yours. Which leads to the next thing you can (and should) do - vote!
    I've hit the point that I'm beginning to think there are too many nut-jobs out there that overwhelm my vote. I still vote (whenever possible)...

I wouldn't be as pissed about these things if the MVA wasn't pissing me off right now. I'm hoping I don't have to take a day off of work because someone "working" there isn't competent enough to do their job.

Even just reading their justifications for new laws irritates me. I've heard them hail the red light cameras for increasing safety yet I used to walk across an intersection every day for 5 years. Once they installed a camera, I didn't notice a single change in the number of people running the red light. All it did was give me something to do everyday while crossing the street (I would pose for the camera since someone ran it virtually everytime I crossed). After a while they installed the countdown crosswalks. Once they installed those, I RARELY every saw a car run a red light in that intersection. Now, when they look at their statistics for decreases in red light runners at that intersection, which is going to get the credit? The red light camera or the count down cross walk?

Quote Originally Posted by M-technik-3
    You know the traffic rules don't bother me. It's the excessive billing for no reason what's so ever. They of course are going to say that the city/county needs to pay their staff and the revnue generated by this will help offset the extra costs...
    What I'm struggling to understand is I've heard complaints that there are too many people moving into the area and they don't have enough money to pay for the needed upgrades to support the additional people. Aren't these additional people paying taxes? Doesn't more people = more money from taxes.

---Eric
    (future trial by camera victim)

Banned
    Problem is in Fairfax County for every dollar we send to Richmond in taxes we get less than a quarter back in services or funding. Last I heard it was 22 cents. Ever driven in Bath or Highland County great roads. Even Fauqier has great roads and the potholes on little used roads get filled in less than a week.

Only answer is the threat of secession or to secede from the rest of VA.

Dave Apker

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric

What I'm struggling to understand is I've heard complaints that there are too many people moving into the area and they don't have enough money to pay for the needed upgrades to support the additional people. Aren't these additional people paying taxes? Doesn't more people = more money from taxes.

---Eric
    (future trial by camera victim)
    Well us US military don't pay taxes to the commonwealth nor the county unless we own a house and change our resisdency. Oh and you seem to forget the number of illegal imigrants that live here in the region.

This is just the state lobbying for another revenue collection source. It's truely sad.

Quote Originally Posted by M-technik-3
    Well us US military don't pay taxes to the commonwealth nor the county unless we own a house and change our resisdency. Oh and you seem to forget the number of illegal imigrants that live here in the region.

This is just the state lobbying for another revenue collection source. It's truely sad.
    maybe we (active duty military) don't pay income taxes to va when we get transferred into va, but we pay property taxes when we buy houses, sales taxes and our spouses who work pay income taxes...

Banned
    "Oh and you seem to forget the number of illegal imigrants that live here in the region. "

Most illegal immigrants pay taxes and social security but never file Fed or State income tax returns. So the Feds and state actually benefit since many of these illegal immigrants would get refunds and the EIC. Very employers of illegals pay them in cash and under the table.

Nice racist comment though! And do you have a problem with the military?
    US govt pays local jurisdictions to offset the property tax revenue and other revenue losses from having military bases in their area. Remember the military is protecting your way life so you can criticize them and illegal immigrants!

Problem in VA is not the military or illegal immigrants but our tax dollars not returning to NOVA.

Most us wouldn't do the work illegals do and how many of us would put up with the moves, shitty medical care, being assigned to a combat zone and inept senior officers like the members of the US military do!

Dave Apker and the collies

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan
    Most us wouldn't do the work illegals do and how many of us would put up with the moves, shitty medical care, being assigned to a combat zone and inept senior officers like the members of the US military do!
    Moves? I think I average moving once about every 2 years.

Medical care? I can't think of the last time my insurance actually worked. The last time I even tried was for a $600+ checkup and after spending a few hours filling out their forms, they eventually sent me a check for $10 (no, that wasn't a typo).

Combat zone? Does having worked in DC for 5 years count?

Inept senior officers? I think most people can relate to that. Non-military just call them bosses.

---Eric

Dave, what race is "immigrant?" What if I am an illegal immigrant from Sweden or the Ukraine or Poland?

I don't think M-Technic was criticizing the military - he appears to be a member and married to one. I think he was just saying they don't pay income taxes other than in their listed state of permanent residence. But this is a wash, because the same applies to VA military members posted in other states - They still pay taxes to VA no matter where they are. But in any case how is that a criticism of the military or what they do for a living? It is not their choice to be stationed in a particular place. It sounds like a criticism of the "system."

In any case I never thought of what you said about illegal immigrants paying taxes through withholding but not filing for refunds. That's a very good point - I never looked at it that way before.
    Last edited by S38B38Komp; 03-03-2006 at 12:07 PM.
    life begins at 100hp/liter

Thread Information