Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
GC Coilover DIY

Thread: GC Coilover DIY

GC Coilover DIY

I just purchased a ground control coilover kit for my 1989 BMW 325is and am planning on installing myself. I have read on various forums about the installation, and there seem to be some conflicting opinions. Some people say it is a simple, easy installation, others say it is a real pain. When I ordered I specifically asked if there was any welding required and was told that there is not, and that it is a very easy install. Then when I received the stuff today, there was only one sheet of instructions, basically saying I need to cut the housing and weld on the spring perch. I am fairly competent mechanically, and have done brakes, and general engine work, but have not done any work on suspension before. So does anyone have the ground control coilovers on their e30? Any tips on the installation?

Thanks.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by spric116
    I just purchased a ground control coilover kit for my 1989 BMW 325is and am planning on installing myself. I have read on various forums about the installation, and there seem to be some conflicting opinions. Some people say it is a simple, easy installation, others say it is a real pain. When I ordered I specifically asked if there was any welding required and was told that there is not, and that it is a very easy install. Then when I received the stuff today, there was only one sheet of instructions, basically saying I need to cut the housing and weld on the spring perch. I am fairly competent mechanically, and have done brakes, and general engine work, but have not done any work on suspension before. So does anyone have the ground control coilovers on their e30? Any tips on the installation?

Thanks.

Jon
    When I purchased my GC stuff, I has sent them a set of housings and got them shortened, welded, powdercoated and assembled before they sent the kit. AFAIR, it cost me $100 to get it done. They welded sway bar brackets, added a little reinforcement between the strut and the spindle part.

-- Jason

Welcome to the wonderful world of Ground Control "customer support."

Quote Originally Posted by bren
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Ground Control "customer support."
    I donno, I never had a problem with them

-- Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jkuper
    Consider yourself lucky.

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

Removing personal content.
    Last edited by dougmoney; 05-07-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jkuper
    me either. 5 years, two complete gc suspensions with a/d shocks on two separate race cars. never had a customer service problem. quite the contrary, gc hs always been easy to deal with. just talked with them today on some custom shock valving i had done.

if you have an install question, just call them.
    Last edited by mlytle; 02-24-2006 at 09:59 PM.

Did my stuff myself on base and in my garage. 2.5 hours to swap out the whole suspension.

Jason's setup was quite nice. I did not PC my struts, I just painted them.

Welcome to E30 ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle
    me either. 5 years, two complete gc suspensions with a/d shocks on two separate race cars. never had a customer service problem. quite the contrary, gc hs always been easy to deal with. just talked with them today on some custom shock valving i had done.

if you have an install question, just call them.
    And maybe they'll answer the phone. And maybe they'll call you back after leaving multiple messages.

My experience with them has not been good at all.

Having said that, I like their products. I'm in the middle of installing GC coilovers on my e30. To avoid dealing with GC and their awful service (in my experience) I bought them through bimmerworld.

Alex
    Interrobanged.

TeamWTF?!

Quote Originally Posted by BahnBaum
    And maybe they'll answer the phone. And maybe they'll call you back after leaving multiple messages.

My experience with them has not been good at all.

Having said that, I like their products. I'm in the middle of installing GC coilovers on my e30. To avoid dealing with GC and their awful service (in my experience) I bought them through bimmerworld.

Alex
    My car got stuck on a lift with the suspension taken apart for over a week because they sent the wrong part. Then they started saying the suspension would never fit on my car. Eventually they realized they were confusing me with someone else and got everything straightened out.

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

If you are installing the full kit, koni struts, camber plates etc. you should cut down the housing 1" and replace the perch with the gc part. This gives you suspension travel with car lowered. I know that people have re-used the oem perch and left strut unmodded. However, that would defeat the purpose to me. If you have it cut and welded, you need to remove the upper part with internal threads for the cap, then cut out 1" piece that includes the perch to clean strut up. Then weld the upper part back onto the housing...Just find a decent welder. If there is too much weld penetration, you will not be able to reinstall the strut. Too little and the weld will be weak. You will need a spring compressor to remove oem springs from front. Other than that, hand tools and sockets will cover it.
    Good Luck!
    John

Well, I did the rears with no problem, but after removing the front struts I came to the same conclusion that I need to shorten the strut housing. So my car is still on jack stands and now I need a welder. I have called a few places that I looked up on yahoo, but haven't really found anybody. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dougmoney
    Several of the local BMW guys are having an installfest on Sunday, March 5. There will be people out there who have installed coils before, and we're already doing a suspension or two that day. If you want more information on this, give me a call at 571-641-1464.

~Ryan D. Davies

EDIT: Welding....never mind :-/.
    How did the install day go?

I wish I would have known about this ahead of time. I would have liked to stop by.
    My buildup/teardown (ongoing)
    My Seller Feedback
    FOR SALE:

DIY List

Thread Information