Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Installing 3 point stock belts after installing race seats

Thread: Installing 3 point stock belts after installing race seats

Installing 3 point stock belts after installing race seats

Hello my fellow BMW Brothers and Sisters!

I recently installed racing seats with 6 point harnesses in my 2012 e92 M3. I need to install my stock belts to pass inspection and am wondering if anyone has done this or can recommend a good way to put my stock belts back in the car. I'm not planning to use the stock belts, they just have to function so that the car passes inspection.

Thanks!

Is the race seat is DOT approved? MD is pretty strict since it's a one time inspection.
    I had to remove my H&R race springs to pass, only later to learn it was not necessary.
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 12-18-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by VikAry View Post
    Hello my fellow BMW Brothers and Sisters!

I recently installed racing seats with 6 point harnesses in my 2012 e92 M3. I need to install my stock belts to pass inspection and am wondering if anyone has done this or can recommend a good way to put my stock belts back in the car. I'm not planning to use the stock belts, they just have to function so that the car passes inspection.

Thanks!
    If you're referring to the biannual MD VEIP emissions inspection, then I really doubt that the Maryland VEIP technicians will care. But to make sure, take the car to a self-service VEIP kiosk and complete the emissions test yourself. It's simple - all you do is plug their OBDII cable into the OBDII port under your car's dashboard and let their machine read your car's computer for emissions-related fault codes. Any car (under 8,500 lbs GVWR) built in 2005 or later can be taken to the VEIP self-service kiosk. See http://www.mva.maryland.gov/programs...kFlyer2016.pdf

Since you already own this car, I presume that it's registered and titled to you and therefore you already had the Maryland safety inspection done when you acquired the car. If you just acquired the car and installed the 6-point harnesses before having the MD safety inspection done (required to register and title the car), then you may have to re-install the factory seat belts to pass the safety inspection.

So, to which inspection are you referring?

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jfraymond View Post
    If you're referring to the biannual MD VEIP emissions inspection, then I really doubt that the Maryland VEIP technicians will care. But to make sure, take the car to a self-service VEIP kiosk and complete the emissions test yourself. It's simple - all you do is plug their OBDII cable into the OBDII port under your car's dashboard and let their machine read your car's computer for emissions-related fault codes. Any car (under 8,500 lbs GVWR) built in 2005 or later can be taken to the VEIP self-service kiosk. See http://www.mva.maryland.gov/programs...kFlyer2016.pdf

Since you already own this car, I presume that it's registered and titled to you and therefore you already had the Maryland safety inspection done when you acquired the car. If you just acquired the car and installed the 6-point harnesses before having the MD safety inspection done (required to register and title the car), then you may have to re-install the factory seat belts to pass the safety inspection.

So, to which inspection are you referring?

Good luck!

Thank for the feedback. I do own the car and it passed inspection 4 years ago when I bought it. I was preparing for possible re-inspection because I may not pass Emissions and as a result, my registration will be suspended. But thank you for bringing up the dreaded Emissions test. My car is heavily modified for the track, tuned, completely catless and I drive 500-750 street miles per year, at most. A couple of weeks noticed the Service Engine light which had never come on before. Knowing that I had to pass Emissions soon, I used my Carly BMW App to clear all of my fault codes but after running the Emissions test in the App, it showed that the following sensors are not in "ready" state (incomplete) - Catalyst, Evaporative, Secondary Air, O2 Sensor, O2 Heat Sensor and EGR/VVT System.

After clearing the fault codes, I thought I could pass Emissions and so I used the self service kiosk in Gaithersburg to test Emissions. The readiness report says that multiple diagnostic systems in my car are not ready, which I didn't expect because I've cleared all the codes from the car's computer. MVA has instructed me to have the car tested at a full service station to and I'm expecting the same result which will result in a 30-day extension to get the car in ready state. I'm aware of the BMW FTP Drive Cycle which is supposed to ready the systems that have issues but trying to execute that on a public road is going to be near impossible. So, I'm wondering if replacing the battery would reset the systems. My battery warning light also came on around the same time as the Service Engine warning.

Any guidance or advice to help me pass Emissions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by VikAry; 12-19-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VikAry View Post
    Any guidance or advice to help me pass Emissions would be appreciated.
    Your ECU "knows" if any fault codes have been recently cleared, and the VEIP emissions test detects this as well. You'll need to put some miles on the car, and start and stop the engine a number of times, before the ECU thinks that it's "ready" for the emissions test.

Here's the good news: under Maryland law, if you fail the emissions test, you're only required to spend a maximum of $450 (with a MD licensed mechanic / shop) to try to address the problem. You'll need your repair receipts showing that you tried to have the emissions issues fixed. If the car still fails the test, you can get a VEIP emissions waiver. See http://www.mva.maryland.gov/programs...veipwaiver.htm
    As long as you follow the guidance on that State of Maryland VEIP web page, you should be fine. I've done this; it worked.

Do you still drive this car on the street? If it's a track-only car that you tow to the track, then you can cancel the registration, return the license plates to MVA, and be off the hook with regards to emissions testing.

Let us all know how it works out! Again, good luck.

Removing/replacing your battery will reset the drive cycle & the monitors won't be ready - recently went through this in VA with an E46. I drove it on the highway & local streets over 2 days (approx. 70 miles) & it was ready for testing. We don't have self-serve emissions here, yet!
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    Removing/replacing your battery will reset the drive cycle & the monitors won't be ready - recently went through this in VA with an E46. I drove it on the highway & local streets over 2 days (approx. 70 miles) & it was ready for testing. We don't have self-serve emissions here, yet!
    Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I read quite a bit in the forums today and found that some people were successful using an approach similar to yours. I'm going to try the BMW cycle thing tonight around midnight when there won't be much traffic. If that doesn't work, then I'll just fail emissions, get my 30 day extension and try the same BMW approach in my garage with the rear lifted end on jack stands. I just hope I don't pull a Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day off!

As I recall, a MD VEIP inspector will walk around the car with a long handled mirror, looking at the underside, presumably for a catalyst. Good luck.

Gentlemen,

It is a good Friday indeed because somehow, some way my car just passed emissions! I was going to execute the BMW Drive cycle around 1AM and I really tried to stay awake but couldn't make it past 11PM. With less than 1 day left to pass emissions, I had to come up with Plan B. I jacked up the rear end of my car on jack stands and executed the BMW drive cycle in my driveway. First of all, thank god I didn't pull a Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. During the drive cycle, the car threw a bunch of warnings which I later discovered were due to the rear wheel sensors freaking out because the the rear wheels were spinning in the air. After completing the drive cycle, I ran the emissions check with my Carly app and was disappointed to see the the systems were still not in ready state. At this point, I was expecting to fail emissions and receive a 30 day extension. Before leaving for the station, I disconnected my battery in hoping to reset the warning lights from the wheel sensors. No luck, the warnings were still there but went away after driving about 20 feet and even better, my car passed emissions.

I can't identify how the issues were fixed but I don't have to think about this for 2 years and can now focus on off-season mods ahead of track season!

Thanks to everyone for your input. Have an awesome weekend.

Thread Information