Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Sealing NPT Connections?

Thread: Sealing NPT Connections?

Question Sealing NPT Connections?

My mechanic and I are having a bear of a time trying to plug leaks on my newly-installed Accusump. The AN fittings on the hoses are sealing fine, but the NPT fittings between the valves and input adapters and the hoses are not.

He's tried the teflon tape and permatex teflon pipe thread paste independently and together to no avail.

Does anyone have any advice on what to try?

All of the fittings are quality parts, manufactured by Canton, Aeroquip and Earl's.
    Last edited by SharkD; 02-13-2006 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    My mechanic and I are having a bear of a time trying to plug leaks on my newly-installed Accusump. The AN fittings on the hoses are sealing fine, but the NPT fittings between the valves and input adapters and the hoses are not.

He's tried the teflon tape and teflon pipe thread paste independently and together to no avail.

Does anyone have any advice on what to try?

All of the fittings are quality parts, manufactured by Canton, Aeroquip and Earl's.
    I would use Form-A-Gasket for applications where there is contact w/ fuel or oil. Teflon, in my opinion, is for water jacket stuff.
    Tom
    Last edited by tgmeyer; 02-13-2006 at 03:52 PM.
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

The leaks are coming through the NPT threads on the (M) NPT-to-AN (M) adapter fittings on the Remote Oil Filter Mount and the remote oil filter adapter, as well as the (m) NPT-to-NPT (m) fitting that connects the accusump to the electric valve fitting. (The only NPT that isn't leaking is the 90° elbow M-to-F directly out of the accusump.

The AN-to-AN connections are holding tight.

The fittings are being tightened (on the bench) to the point where they will no longer turn.

Here is a PDF of the plumbing diagram, and a picture of a similarly installed system (without the remote oil filter mount).

Quote Originally Posted by tgmeyer
    I would use Form-A-Gasket for applcitions where there is contact w/ fuel or oil. Teflon, in my opinion, is for water jacket stuff.
    Tom
    That may be what we try next -- or as one guy suggested on R3Vlimited, green loctite.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    The fittings are being tightened (on the bench) to the point where they will no longer turn.
    Be careful! By design, the NPT seals b/c the thread is tapered. If you go too tight the female thread portion will split or strip. The sealant is just to fill in where the metal-to-metal contact is not perfect. I think you already know all this...
    Last edited by tgmeyer; 02-13-2006 at 04:10 PM.
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Thread Information