Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Short shifter--yes/no?

Thread: Short shifter--yes/no?

Short shifter--yes/no?

Been reading about short shifters and related driving benefit by replacing the OEM shifter. Looking to replace in a 2004 E46 sedan and was reading about Rogue Engineering's Octane Short shift kit and associated Weighted selector rod (see www.namototrwerks.com). Anyone have experience with the product? Comments/feedback appreciated. I don't have facilities to install myself but presume reputable BMW service centers like Towson or Passport should have no problem. Many thanks to the community for past advice, its a whole new year!

I can't comment on the short shifter, although it is something I have considered as a future mod.

However, I think you will find that BMW dealers will not install anything that is not OEM. You probably will need to look at another shop in your area to do the work.

They'll probably do something like a short shifter. I used a short shift kit from http://www.understeer.com. for my E36. They actually document making a weighted selector lever by wrapping solder around a stock selector. Mine seems to work fairly well.

Overall, short shifters and clutch stops improve the ergonomics a lot, though effort does increase a bit on the shift throw. I suggest you subscribe to the UUC digest to track down someone who can let you try one out.
    Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4
    Vienna, VA

The UUC Evo 3 on my e30 is just about perfect. The UUC Evo 3 on my e46 sucks. It's super notchy and sings like an American Idol contestant. Many think the Autosolutions is a much better ssk for the e46.

Alex
    Interrobanged.

TeamWTF?!

dealership (Sterling) had no problem offering to install my aftermarket parts. (shortshifter, control arm bushings and brake rotors and pads) they just quoted me ridiculous amount of money to do it.

everytime, i ended up doing some research on DIY. and complete the job myself.

btw, UUC's SSK is excellent. i have no reason not to recommend it. everytime you shift, you'll be grinning.

D.J.
    E46, E53, UZJ100

www.autosolutions.net End of story.

-- Jason

Banned
    I got mine through Dwight Derr many years ago from someone in OH. Cant remember the name of the company. They used to advertise in the Roundel 10 or so years ago. Have approx. 180K miles on it with no problems. It resembles the ones from Autosolutions and was a lot better than the crap offered by Authothority at the time.

Dave Apker

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    I don't have facilities to install myself but presume reputable BMW service centers like Towson or Passport should have no problem.
    We will not install U U C products anymore.
    Anything else, no problem.
    BTW...I still have a U U C Evo II (fits non-M E36s & non-M E46s) for sale.

If you want to stay in the BMW parts bin, you could always look for an OEM alternative. The Z8 shifter is a short throw version that will work on several other models. I have a z4 2.5 shift lever in my E30 M3 and it works great without notchiness and vibration. I have tried the UUC Evo 3 and a bavauto kit in this same car with poor results. The E30 M3 is notorious for shifter buzz and I have not found an aftermarket kit that worked as well as OEM parts. I even used the fancy bushings and rebuild kits with no success.....

Good Luck!
    ~Willy

I've got a UUC Evo 3 (at the tallest setting) in my E30 and a blonde motorsports (IIRC) kit in the E24.

Stock replacement shifter.

I heard of someone in a similar car to mine, 1998 323is, using a stock M Roadster shifter. I found one in the classifieds of the dB, cheap, and bought it. I did not have it installed for over a year, but finally had RRT install it. The selector rod had to be modified slightly to keep the shifter from being offset far to the right. I works great, and after a few weeks of high effort to shift, it felt like a stock shifter, but with very short throws. I am not sure if the E46 would work the same, but try a stock Z4 or Z8 shifter, or UUC, Rogue Engineering, etc. See what's available and works on the E46.

Brian H.

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan
    I got mine through Dwight Derr many years ago from someone in OH. Cant remember the name of the company. They used to advertise in the Roundel 10 or so years ago. Have approx. 180K miles on it with no problems. It resembles the ones from Autosolutions and was a lot better than the crap offered by Authothority at the time.

Dave Apker
    Blonde Motorspsorts (Mark Francis) - the first to advertise a SSK as far as I know. They've been out of business for many years.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Banned
    Woody,

Thanks. Couldn't remember the name to save my life. Bill Shook installed and also replaced the rear trannie seal which was just weeping a little.
    He replaced it with a brand new seal that leaked big time. Only time I have ever had to return after Bill did some work in 25 years of using Kraftwagen. We still joke about it.

Shame they went out of business they made a a great shifter.

Too much on my mind with a new pup and looking for a new vehicle to haul collies to herding trials.

Dave Apker

2003 M5
    Dinan Exhaust
    Dinan Stage 2 Software
    Dinan CAI
    E60 Shift Kit

Updated results

Your feedback was awesome. Also interesting article from m3.madrussian.net on the shortshifter debate. I had Blue Ridge Sports in balt. install the Rogue Engineering Octane shifter with the weighted rod (WSR) from NAmotorwerks.com. Its tremendous. I highly disagree with the "mad russian". (I also didn't pay what he quoted either). The added weight with the WSR does not, to me anyways, make it more difficult to shift, in fact it is significantly easier than the stock OEM shifter. From neutral at a light, the shift into first will feel like your brain thought "shift" and with literally a couple of fingers on the shifter it's in first gear with clean feedback. Also, there is no noise or vibration out of the shifter. My E46 is that much more fun in traffic.

Thread Information