Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
A Weekend that started good and ended up bad - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A Weekend that started good and ended up bad

Fight the ticket. At best they have you for failure to maintain control. If you get an attourney it will really benefit you in the long run. Reckless packs a good bit of points and don't expect to ever get out of a ticket again with that on your record.
    My buildup/teardown (ongoing)
    My Seller Feedback
    FOR SALE:

DIY List

Banned
    Per today's Washington Post Shawn Springs of the Redskins was convicted of Reckless Driving 98 in 65. Sentenced to one day jail and fined approx $500.
    Just FYI. He was driving a Mercedes. I dont think you will get the same consideration or can afford the same legal talent. I am also sure Mr Springs was not in the general population for his day in jail.

But what the heck you meet lots of new friends and have a great culinary experience.

Dave Apker

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan
    Per today's Washington Post Shawn Springs of the Redskins was convicted of Reckless Driving 98 in 65. Sentenced to one day jail and fined approx $500.
    Just FYI. He was driving a Mercedes. I dont think you will get the same consideration or can afford the same legal talent. I am also sure Mr Springs was not in the general population for his day in jail.

But what the heck you meet lots of new friends and have a great culinary experience.

Dave Apker
    Now this stuff probably gets you off, but what good does this post do for SMoody other than to make him worry even more?

If you included where this happened, then at least the original poster would've gotten something useful out of it (like what a 98 in a 65 means in VA/MD/wheretheFever, but that really wasn't what you set out to do, was it?

A-hole.

Glenn Ty

Banned
    No was in a rush. Had to go to a home visit for Collie Rescue. No malicious intent. My bad sorry it was Loudoun County. Or maybe you could have read the WP. Since posters including me have been talking about pleading to a lesser charge I thought it was important info.

Now little boy would you like to discuss this in person!

Dave Apker

Dave,

I think the general issue, and it's been pointed out before in these forums, is that the acerbic, condescending and moderately antagonistic coating tends to undermine your point, which -- given your wealth of experience -- is usually spot-on. Just try dialing it down a few notches.

Anyway, as fun as it is to hypothesize scenarios and consequences, this thread's purely academic until the thread starter has spoken with legal representation and has his day in court.
    Last edited by SharkD; 02-04-2006 at 11:08 PM.

You did have pure intentions, after all. Good man!

Tell you what. I'll start reading the Post if you take "Sharing Your Wisdom Tactfully 101".

Quote Originally Posted by GT
    Now this stuff probably gets you off, but what good does this post do for SMoody other than to make him worry even more?

Glenn Ty
    Glenn,
    I too saw the Post article yesterday morning and meant to post something - not to worry Steve, but to point out that Reckless Driving in Virginia is no trival matter. Unfortunately I learned the hard way.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Well, I thought I should let all of you know the end of this story.

I went to court at my appointed time and my attorney was able to negotiate a good resolution for me. Because I have not had any violations (moving or otherwise) in over 12 years, the Commonwealth's attorney agreed to drop the charges in exchange for me taking an 8 hour Driver Improvement course.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Quote Originally Posted by SMOODY
    ... in exchange for me taking an 8 hour Driver Improvement course.
    bwuahahaha - stupid legal system...

I'm sure you can drive circles around the people who will be teaching this 'driver improvement' course... hell, maybe you can teach 'em a thing or two
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

So of course you told the judge that you didn't need the stinking 8 hour driver improvement course since you were doing the BMWCCA's HPDE at Summit Point - Shenandoah Circuit in 2 weeks. Right???
    Tom Buchanan
    BMW CCA Instructor
    ============================================
    1999 M3 (Track Rat)
    2002 540i 6-speed (My Car)
    1999 Acura 3.2 TL (Wife's Car)
    2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali (Family Mobile and Tow Vehicle)

I wouldnt have turned off the ASC until I got used to the car's handling with the new sways and the Traction control. I know hindsight is 20/20 - but since you never usually drive with ASC off - that probably wouldnt have been my first move. The ASC on these cars actually do a lot of work.

I learned this one day by turning off my ASC on my 99 M Roadster going into a turn only to end up facing the wrong way on Route 7 mid turn! - JT

Quote Originally Posted by TMB_540i
    So of course you told the judge that you didn't need the stinking 8 hour driver improvement course since you were doing the BMWCCA's HPDE at Summit Point - Shenandoah Circuit in 2 weeks. Right???
    No, under the advise of my council, I did not mention that to the judge.

I had already asked my attorney and he said that the BMW school doesn't count.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SMOODY
    I had already asked my attorney and he said that the BMW school doesn't count.
    I think your attorney had it all wrong -- had you simply said, "You Honor, I'm already taking a driving course with the BMW club, so that next time, not only will I not lose control, but I'll be able to take that corner a good 5mph faster... in the wet..." I'm sure the Judge would have released you on your own recognizance -- and maybe even asked for info on joining the 'CCA (which could've netted you a free additional month of membership).

Smoody,
    Glad to hear you were able to get such a reduction. I believe it is time, effort and $ well spent. I stared down the barrel of a reckless once (+20 over), a lawyer didn't have good things to say about the consequences, he was able to get a reduction to "failure to obey traffic sign", which I considered a victory. You did much better, I'd thank your favorite attorney..
    In hindsight, of course, you realize as a driver's school attendee, a. you should've known better that to push it on the street, b. the next school is the *perfect* place to experiment with a new handling gadget like sways. The skidpad will tell the tale, understeer, oversteer, neutral... Most instructors would happily help you review your car's handling and suggest (or even help) make changes. Tire pressures, sizes, alignment, and driver technique often must be changed when the setup changes.
    Don't toss the new 'bars in the dumpster just yet, maybe put them back on before your next school and see how it goes.

As for your incident, you mentioned a constuction site before the turn. This can be a bigger factor than most realize, in damp conditions, the silt can get dragged up the road a long ways, and is not always visible, but very slick. Again, I think there are just too many variables to fool around too much on the street.
    Hope I see you at the track, drive safely, and always -
    enjoy your BMW.

- Joel B.
    Joel Bossard
    ---------------------------------------------
    1998 M3/4, Silver driver
    2002 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 6-speed hauler
    2006 VW Jetta TDI commuter

Thread Information