Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Suggestions Regarding a Torque Wrench

Thread: Suggestions Regarding a Torque Wrench

Suggestions Regarding a Torque Wrench

As some of you may have noted by my posts, I am building up the courage to start doing more of the work on my car ('95 525). I'm a relativley smart guy who has been until now, VERY intimidated to work on my car.

I'm wondering about the purchase and use of a torque wrench (TW). I have an old Craftsman model given to me that is almost as old as I am (it was made in the early 70's!). I'm exploring having it recalibrated if that makes sense.

I am curious what capacity is recommended (e.g, up to 100ft/lbs, 150ft/lbs, more?) and what brand/model would you suggest? I don't see myself doing a lot of hardcore suspension stuff (at least not yet ), so I don't want to end up with a monster wrench that costs $$$ and is more than I'll need. But then again, I don't want to go too small now and be in trouble down the road.

I seem to remember my current wrench goes only up to about 90ft/lbs. I would guess this is too puny and not worth the cost of getting it recalibrated -- if it even works. I know the Bentley guide and other DIY guides are generally very specific about torquing the bolts, so I know this is a good tool investment.

So, I call upon you, my fellow BMW enthusiasts. Please enlighten me once again.

Thanks

George

Just buy a cheap craftsman at sears.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

TireRack sells a halfway decent click-type 10-150ft-lb model for ~$25, IIRC.

I have a "nice" 0-75ft-lb Snap-On for work that requires "precision", but it's not absolutely necessary.

Thanks for the feedback.

I placed my order for the one at TireRack. Ordered it Wednesday morning and it arrived Thursday night.

It was a 1/2" 10-150ft/lb wrench with a 3/8" adapter and 5" extension for $29.99 plus $6.00 shipping. Sounds like this will do the trick and not break my bank.

Now I just need to put it to good use.

George

i'd get a dedicated 3/8's one too. small range will be more accurate for the 25ftlb things. anything you put between the wrench and the socket (adapters, extensions, etc.) degrade the accuracy.

15-90ftlbs is the range of most all normal applications on your car, except for front wheel bearings which require a wrench in the 200+ range.

i have all three to cover the range. 3/8, 1/2 med and 1/2 heav duty.

Thread Information