Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Local shop for Tire Shaving?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Local shop for Tire Shaving?

Exclamation Local shop for Tire Shaving?

Thanks to some bad advice from the staff at Radial Tire (not Paul, though -- he was too busy to talk to me for four straight hours) and a shift in the weekend forecast, I'd like to shave the treads on the RA-1's that I'm going to run on the Jefferson this weekend.

Is there a shop in Northern VA (preferably Arlington/Alexandria) that can shave tires? (Also, can it be done while the tires are on the rim?)

And Radial Tire isn't an option -- I'm never going back to them again after the 4 hour wait (they apparently forgot about my race wheels since they weren't attached to a car, then balanced them incorrectly... twice), rude treatment and the fact that they quoted me a lower price ($134) on the phone and then refused to honor it ($154). (That was my first and last time as their customer... If only tirerack.com sold Toyos...)
    Last edited by SharkD; 10-06-2005 at 05:45 PM.

Dan,
    I can't comment on the price mis-quote, but your 4 hour wait beats my personal best of 3 hours. It's part of the hassle some of us put up with sometimes when getting all the benefits of Radial Tire.

Tires HAVE to be on rims to be shaved. I'm not aware of any other shop in the DC area that shaves tires, but you might call Alban Tire south of Springfield.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Woody, thanks for the tip, however Alban Tire doesn't shave treads and, according to them Radial is the only shop in the area that does...

...That said, the forecast has changed again to an 80% chance of "heavy" rain on Saturday. So, I think I'll leave the treads intact; if it's sunny and 90°, I'll just leave the PoS street tires on, to avoid chunking the treads.

I think, in the future, that I'll be getting my RA-1's from Eric Wong/www.TireSwap.com, shaved or otherwise.
    Last edited by SharkD; 10-06-2005 at 05:47 PM.

I think I recall either Craven or Merchant, when they advertised in dB, advertised that they offered tire shaving.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    Woody, thanks for the tip, however Alban Tire doesn't shave treads and, according to them Radial is the only shop in the area that does...

...That said, the forecast has changed again to an 80% chance of "heavy" rain on Saturday. So, I think I'll leave the treads intact; if it's sunny and 90°, I'll just leave the PoS street tires on, to avoid chunking the treads.

I think, in the future, that I'll be getting my RA-1's from Eric Wong/www.TireSwap.com, shaved or otherwise.
    You'll love the full tread Ra-1s in the rain and even if it's dry, I don't think you'll be chuncking the tires. I've run sticker RA-1s in the dry many times with no adverse wear.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3
    You'll love the full tread Ra-1s in the rain and even if it's dry, I don't think you'll be chuncking the tires. I've run sticker RA-1s in the dry many times with no adverse wear.
    I drove from MD to Watkins Glen on brand new RA1s. I had no chunking all weekend if that was the concern.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3
    Thanks, Woody, that was my concern -- some of the PCA-centric forums that a google search for "shave tread ra-1" made it sound like it was a problem on full tread RA-1s in the dry.

My Toyo T1S chuncked slightly but not the RA1s.
    I ran a brand new 0 mileage RA1 at VIR and Watkins Glen. It wore fine. Just watch your tire pressure. My other tires are at the wear bars so I only have one full thread tire.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

What pressure do you recommend?

Oh, and the current forecast for tomorrow:
    Quote Originally Posted by weather.com
    Cloudy with periods of rain. High 66F. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph. Rainfall may reach two inches. Chance of precip: 100%
    Anyone have a spare rudder?

I had mild chunking problems with RA-1s in the dry. But I think I had twice the power and nearly a thousand pounds more weight to contend with.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Probably... I guess I shouldn't really worry about my ~150hp (@ wheels), 2,704 lb. E30 tearing up these tires, especially given the monsoon conditions expected.

Not local but prices good? Not sure

http://www.philstireservice.com/

Just a little high, but less expensive (not counting shipping) than Radial Tire.

I've ran Full Tread RA1s all year on a 3400lb 320hp mustang (well they aren't full tread anymore) but I didn't have any problems w/ chunking them. They did get a little hotter w/ the full tread than they do now worn down (and they grip a little better now).

Dan, go through Eric...

-- Jason

Thread Information