Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Known defect - but not covered if out of warranty

Thread: Known defect - but not covered if out of warranty

Known defect - but not covered if out of warranty

So my car started misfiring badly and I lost all power and the "Service Engine Light" came on.

On diagnosis it turned out that one of the ignition coils was bad and this is covered under the TSB SIB 12 08 03. Apparently the coils made by Bremi with a certain manufacture date used in the E46 cars of that year were known to have some problems with the insulation cover or something and BMW recommends that IF one goes bad then all should be replaced.

Unfortunately for me - the car is a few months out of the warranty period - so despite it being a known defect (from the manufacture time) I had to pay to have this fixed.

I guess you can only have recalls for known defects only if they affect safety - but I would have thought that BMW - a premium segment product - would take care of such issues too.

It was just a little disappointing.

But on the other hand my question is - how long are ignition coils supposed to last anyway? Could it be that the natural life itself is about 40k miles? I was planning on writing to BMW expressing my displeasure - but I want to make sure I know for sure that it was due to the known defect and not perhaps a regular wear and tear item.

Sometimes a dealer will offer a courtesy warranty.
    I probably would have asked the dealer to work with me.
    I think this is where bringing the service advisor and techs a little something whenever you bring the car in helps. That could have made the difference between warranty and not warranty.

How long do coil packs last? My have lasted +214K miles.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

- Yup - I guess this is one of the drawbacks of not being an original customer of the dealership... i.e. buying a used car.

I tried to speak with BMW of Fairfax - a referral through the folks at Curry's but that led nowhere.

But since 40k is not the life expectancy of the coils - I guess I will shoot a letter out to BMW anyway.

emissions warranty

the government required emissions warranty is longer than the bmw warranty, 80,000 miles i think.
    bmw is doing an emissions recall now (Campaign # 05E-A01) for many 2002-2004 model cars to replace the coils.
    even if you vehicle is not involved in this recall, you should insist on coverage under the emissions warranty - if bmw na doesn't like it contact EPA.
    failing bremi coils have plagued all the european manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by jhm5
    the government required emissions warranty is longer than the bmw warranty, 80,000 miles i think.
    bmw is doing an emissions recall now (Campaign # 05E-A01) for many 2002-2004 model cars to replace the coils.
    even if you vehicle is not involved in this recall, you should insist on coverage under the emissions warranty - if bmw na doesn't like it contact EPA.
    Govt. warranty info from the EPA website:
    http://www.epa.gov/obd/warranties.htm

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

Wow! Thanks for the good information folks.

Since I have already had this problem fixed over at my mechanic's (Autohausweb over at Manassas - great guys!) I think I will use this information in my letter to BMW NA.

I was reading through the details of this warranty from Eric's link - and I guess the warranty might have been valid if the car had failed an emission's test when the coils went bad - but unfortunately that was not something I even thought of and hence have no way to show that now.

Anyways I will definitely be writing to BMW NA and will let you know what or rather IF I get a response.

Quote Originally Posted by jhm5
    Coils are not covered under the 8/80 Federal Emission Performance Warranty, they are covered under the Federal 2/24 warranty, see pages 35-36 of the 2001 Service and Warranty Information book for 2001 325i, 330i, M3. Recall S.I.B 12 13 05 does not include S54, M3 models.
    Not to say you acted like a jerk, but what Steven said is correct. Try to see if your dealer will work with you. We do have some "goodwill warranty" if needed. NOW......, if you come into a dealer demanding this and that, telling the Service Advisor "I read on the internet...." and have the attitude that you know more about BMW then they do (which you might), you're not going to make many friends that could maybe help you out.
    Just a few words from "the other side of the counter"

My question is this: If this was a known defect, why was it not repaired during the warranty period? My wife's 2003 Z4 had the same recall on the coils and Tate BMW replaced them the same day [we happened to have the car in for brakes in Nov.] I got the letter in our mailbox. I think I'm missing something.
    Tom
    Last edited by tgmeyer; 01-13-2006 at 04:55 PM.
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Quote Originally Posted by tgmeyer
    My question is this: If this was a known defect, why was it not repaired during the warranty period?
    Quote Originally Posted by schosports
    Recall S.I.B 12 13 05 does not include S54, M3 models.

Do we really need a minimum character limit on posts?

Quote Originally Posted by tgmeyer
    My question is this: If this was a known defect, why was it not repaired during the warranty period? My wife's 2003 Z4 had the same recall on the coils and Tate BMW replaced them the same day [we happened to have the car in for brakes in Nov.] I got the letter in our mailbox. I think I'm missing something.
    Tom

From what was explained to me by both Curry's and BMW Fairfax - "There is a chance that the coils can go bad. Hence the TSB. But if it doesnt go bad - there is nothing to do."

All the "recalls" that were issued for the car have been taken care of. But this wasn't a recall as I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by pranu
    From what was explained to me by both Curry's and BMW Fairfax - "There is a chance that the coils can go bad. Hence the TSB. But if it doesnt go bad - there is nothing to do."

All the "recalls" that were issued for the car have been taken care of. But this wasn't a recall as I understand it.
    Correct and correct. We service many M3s that still have the same, from the factory, Bremi coils with no problems at all. Not ALL of the S54 coils were bad.

Quote Originally Posted by pranu
    Ahhhh!
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Thread Information