Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Brake caliper covers
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brake caliper covers

Question Brake caliper covers

[thumb] Hey gearheads and bimmer dreamers how do, this year... I have a question concerning caliper covers that I recently purchased at Bavarian Auto Sport. It seems that the covers need to be attached with an adhesive making them impossible to remove it I need to replace the pads and or rotors. I was at a shop contemplating the installation trying to figure out how in the world I'm going to get these off if I put them on... I would like to build a bracket that clips to the caliper cover to the caliper that could be tightened securely and removed when repair work needs to be accomplished. I'm wondering has anyone else encountered this problem, secondly has anyone any knowledge of where I might go to find someone who could build such a device as I have described. Securing the covers in the way the manufacturer indicates is sheer stupidity in my opinion because it removes my ability to do any brake work without ripping off the covers and figuring out how to re-attach them periodically. Thanks in advance for any and all input, Happy Motoring.
    [driving2]
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

If you MUST dress them up, why not just get some caliper paint?

Quote Originally Posted by bren
    If you MUST dress them up, why not just get some caliper paint?
    werd.

caliper covers? ugh.

Why paint your calipers when you can cover them? Painting calipers is a slow and messy process. (And the results don¹t always look like the pictures on the box.) These patented, powder-coated aluminum covers go on faster and make your calipers look as nice as your wheels! Combine with our performance rotors and stainless steel brake lines to get that "big brake kit" look. Set of four. Mounting kit included. $234.95
    For that kind of money I would powder coat them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tap003r.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	113  
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Banned
    Wouldn't these wondereful covers also prevent the calipers from dissipating heat and lower the point at which you boil your brake fluid?
    Its all Porsche's fault if they hadn't have come out with their colored calipers people wouldn't be covering or painting them. They did the same thing with their drilled rotors.

Dave Apker

and add unsprung weight...

put these in the same category with those "clean wheels" things....

Don't forget to buy some X-Dots, Stainless Cross-Drilled Lines and a PFD (on-track action shots) to go with your caliper covers.

(In other words, send the covers back to BavAuto for a refund... ...and remove your Membership # from your sig, since someone could use it to modify all your member info with BMWCCA.)
    Last edited by SharkD; 01-09-2006 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    Don't forget to buy some X-Dots, Stainless Cross-Drilled Lines and a PFD (on-track action shots) to go with your caliper covers.

(In other words, send the covers back to BavAuto for a refund... ...and remove your Membership # from your sig, since someone could use it to modify all your member info with BMWCCA.)
    ah crap, now i gotta clean all the coffee off my screen.....those mods are CLASSIC!!!

At LEAST get some (plastic) "Brembos"!!

Last edited by John in VA; 01-09-2006 at 07:03 PM.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Come on. The guy asked a legit question.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Well fella's I guess I don't fit your basic BMW box... I'm into a certain clean look and style for my bimmer. Don't get me wrong I'm not into spinners, strange abominations and out right deranged mods. I just don't want the first thing seen through my beautiful triple-chrome hub-centric BMW wheels to be the rusted, faded and dull calipers. No, I have not and probably will never track this particular car, I'm going to buy a car for the track. Based solely upon the heat issues that the covers could cause I have decided to paint the calipers rather than cover them... Based on some information from a couple of other websites, they brought to my attention the possiblity of heat transfer problems, brake fluid heat up problems and wear problems with the brake system. Thanks for your jokes and half serious inputs. I appreciate the interest in my inquire. Peace out...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

If you don't mind removing the calipers, i would strongly recommend powder coat over paint. Powder coat looks awesome!
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Quote Originally Posted by Zchild
    Well fella's I guess I don't fit your basic BMW box... I'm into a certain clean look and style for my bimmer. Don't get me wrong I'm not into spinners, strange abominations and out right deranged mods. I just don't want the first thing seen through my beautiful triple-chrome hub-centric BMW wheels to be the rusted, faded and dull calipers. No, I have not and probably will never track this particular car, I'm going to buy a car for the track. Based solely upon the heat issues that the covers could cause I have decided to paint the calipers rather than cover them... Based on some information from a couple of other websites, they brought to my attention the possiblity of heat transfer problems, brake fluid heat up problems and wear problems with the brake system. Thanks for your jokes and half serious inputs. I appreciate the interest in my inquire. Peace out...
    that same heat problem information was in this thread in post #5......

some would put triple chromed wheels in the deranged mod category.....

Zach,

Sorry if I caused any offense -- I guess I got a little carried away with the 'performance-look gizmos that can potentially cause damage' theme.

The point that I should have made more clear is that you could get the same 'look' for a lot less money & get a lot more functionality out of it by painting/powder coating your calipers.

While you're at it, not knowing what model/series you're driving, upgrading to a bigger bolt-on caliper set might be worthwhile, too.

Lastly, please please please remove your membership number from your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    That's some of the funniest stuff I've seen in a while - thx for the laugh
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

Thread Information