Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 99

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 103

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Restoration body work

Thread: Restoration body work

Restoration body work

I'm at the 4-year mark in restoring a '73 2002 tii; it's down to the bare tub and ready for the body work. As it is an original East Coast car, there is a "bit" of rust and needs to have new panels welded in, etc., and I plan to do a bare-metal repaint of the original, and rare, metallic turkis.

I haven't found any shops around the metro area that will do this kind of work, that is, welding, sanding, painting, for a reasonable price. Rumor has it that such shops do exist in Va, Pa, etc.

Can anyone provide me some leads on such body shops???
    - John
    Gaithersburg, MD
    2000 Porsche C2
    1972 BMW 2002tii
    1992 Miata (SCCA SSM)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang20878
    I'm at the 4-year mark in restoring a '73 2002 tii; it's down to the bare tub and ready for the body work. As it is an original East Coast car, there is a "bit" of rust and needs to have new panels welded in, etc., and I plan to do a bare-metal repaint of the original, and rare, metallic turkis.

I haven't found any shops around the metro area that will do this kind of work, that is, welding, sanding, painting, for a reasonable price. Rumor has it that such shops do exist in Va, Pa, etc.

I guess you need to define reasonable.
    There is Whitepost Restoration and a place in Williamsport, MD.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Reasonable to me means nice daily driver that looks good from 5-10 feet away, no paranoia in parking lots, etc. Do not want garage queen or concourse-winner. Mainly, do not want to re-repair any rust spots in the next 5 years! $5-8K? If I did it myself and got typically anal about it, there would be less than 1/10-pound of bondo on the whole car.
    - John
    Gaithersburg, MD
    2000 Porsche C2
    1972 BMW 2002tii
    1992 Miata (SCCA SSM)

The I think Whitepost and the place in Williamsport is out.
    I don't think they would let something out of their shop unless it looked good closer than 5 feet. Good luck.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

There's a great shop in CT with tons of '02 experience...

http://www.sports-car-restoration.com/

My tii was done by Robert Hartman, but he has turned down projects I referred to him in the past:
    http://www.rccarcrafters.com/
    Last edited by John in VA; 01-29-2016 at 09:35 PM.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

A

Try AMP.

I don't have direct experience but I have met the owner at a mercedes club event in DC last summer. Seems like a knowledgable guy and a craftsman.

he specializes in restoration repair. Did the floor pans on a 280sl a few years ago on a freinds car for around $4k.

After hearing him speak he seems like a perfectionist but clearly not a White Post counsour type facility.

http://www.amprestorations.com/

Thanks for the responses, I will follow up and let you know how it goes...
    - John
    Gaithersburg, MD
    2000 Porsche C2
    1972 BMW 2002tii
    1992 Miata (SCCA SSM)

Worth a phone call

Thanks for the responses, I will follow up and let you know how it goes...
    Try calling Springfield Auto Body on (703) 569-5055. Ask for either Jim Scott (Owner) or Jim Amery (Shop Manager).

They sponsor my racecar, so be sure to tell them I referred you. They have a very large facility and they can do everything.

The owner has a show car and his shop did the restoration & body work.

Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    =====================================
    2007 328xi Coupe in sparkling graphite
    2007 GT3
    ======================================
    1999 Civic Si: Races in SCCA showroom stock C
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SC...01_04_0067.htm

Up in Harford County is a good shop, Churchbville auto body. Doesn't look like much from the outside, but lots of serious show cars inside. Did a NICE job on my E46 M3.
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
    SCCA Spec Racer Ford Red/White

Master Crafters in Rockville...

Pete

Thumbs up

I am the manager of Globe Auto Body shop established 1946. Now under new management. Power Automotive Center, serving the community of Takoma Park MD with precision body work and paint job. Mechanics on site have over 40 years experience Please stop bye at 8640 Flower Avenue. Takoma park. I will take good care of all your car's restoration need and timely. I am offering discount to all club members for the next two months starting June 1 Call Zak at 301-588-8444

I am looking for a body / paint shop near the DC metro area for my 1972 CSI .Some rust repair and metal work. need good quality paint job.
    thanks for recommendations
    Jahan

Quote Originally Posted by mohandesij View Post
    I am looking for a body / paint shop near the DC metro area for my 1972 CSI .Some rust repair and metal work. need good quality paint job.
    thanks for recommendations
    Jahan
    Did you contact any of the shops listed earlier in this thread? There hasn't been much change in recommendations.

Here's a post from March 2015:
    From - Mhorn0817 - I have a shop in Millersville,MD and we would love to help you out.
    The Reformers LLC
    Hi just wanted to let forum members know that I have a restoration shop in Millersville, MD. We can do body repairs and modifications, paint, and upholstery and specialize in BMW. If you have mechanical work that needs to be done, that can also be done on site at Stauffer Auto which is right next door (Suite E) and specializes in BMW mechanical repair. My painter and body man each have 15 years in the collision repair business and I and my business partners are all BMW owners and CCA members. We are located at 8328 Veterans Hwy, Suite G, Millersville, MD 21108. You can contact us at info@thereformers.biz or 443-994-9302.

D&V Autobody - Sterling VA
    http://www.dandvautobody.com/

Vintage Motorcars - Inwood WV:
    http://vintagemotorcarco.com/index.html
    Last edited by John in VA; 01-29-2016 at 09:36 PM.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Thread Information