Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Replacing center stop light on E39 1998 540i 6sp

Thread: Replacing center stop light on E39 1998 540i 6sp

Cool Replacing center stop light on E39 1998 540i 6sp

Hello,

Can someone tell me how to find instructions on changing the center stop light on a 1998 540i (E39)? It appears the access is through the trunk where I was able to pop the plastic cover and access the bulb assembly. However no amount of twisting or prying allowed me to free the bulb socket out of its position so that I could change the bulb. I lost my users manual so I don't have any info on this task.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tawfiq.

If the socket will not come out freely, it's melted into the whole light assembly and will have to be replaced BUT that's a rather involved job. It requires you to remove:
    both C-pillars covers
    rear seat belts
    rear seat bottom, backrest and sides
    then the parcel shelf

It's a about a three hour job depending on your skill level. I can fax you repair instructions if you want to attempt it.

Thread Information