Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Questions about Running Winter Wheels and Tires on E46 M3

Thread: Questions about Running Winter Wheels and Tires on E46 M3

Question Questions about Running Winter Wheels and Tires on E46 M3

Ok I am not sure if this is appropriate for the DIY forum - but I wasnt really sure on where to put it.

Last week I had a minor accident in my VW Jetta which was my primary car and the insurance has decided to total it - although the damage wasn't much the car wasnt worth much either - it was 1996 and had 141k miles on it.

So now I am in a situation where I am not going to get enough money to buy a replacement car so I was wondering if it would be enough for me to buy a spare set of wheels and tires for my M3 for the winter.

As much as I have been against the idea of running my M3 in the crappy winter - I will have to do the following
    1. Get the Car Raised
    2. Get New Set of wheels
    3. Get Winter tires on new wheels
    to use it over the winter.

But the big question if I have is - does that as a winter setup actually make the car driveable by a novice driver such as myself? And by driveable I mean in the crappy ice/sleet/snow mix kind of winter that we get here.

As you can see - the current wheel and tire setup is not going to make winter driving easy. http://www.pranu.com/pictures/2005-1.../target20.html

Actually on second thoughts this post should have probably gone in the Lounge - steve/mods if you would like to move it there then please do go ahead and do so.
    Last edited by pranu; 12-20-2005 at 11:09 AM.

Banned
    Take the money from the Jetta and the money you would spend on snows and wheels and buy another beater.

Dave Apker

OBD's advice is good, but if you decide otherwise, I have a set of 18's with tires that I am not using that I would sell if you are interested. I am in Chantilly also. They are almost perfect, and i got them earlier this year as a spare set. now I have 2 spare sets and want to thin the herd. Let me know if you're interested.Dave

With a decent set of snow tires and judicious driving the M3 can be perfectly fine in the winter. I'm not sure you'll want to drive in snow deep enough to warrant raising the suspension though.

Thanks guys - I think I will stick to the safer plan and get myself a beater as Dave suggested.

I guess its time to go car shopping yet again!

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan
    Take the money from the Jetta and the money you would spend on snows and wheels and buy another beater.
    Dave Apker
    I agree. Why ruin a very nice M3 in the winter snow? No salt on the undercarriage is a good thing. Now, if I could only get my wife to stop driving her Z4 in the snow...
    Tom
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Unfortunately with the situation I am in now I cant afford to spend the cash on a daily driver - will have to ride out this winter in the M3 with spending a little money on a rental whenever a storm is expected - would end up costing me around 3-400$ for this winter I guess. Or perhaps work from home on those days.

Given that I work just 3 miles from home - shouldnt end up making that much of a difference. Definitely wash the car every now and then for the salt and sand.

Hopefully later this year I would be in a better situation where I can buy a daily driver before the next winter.

Currently having it raised at Curry's so as to actually be able to drive it over bumps and stuff.

Thread Information