Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
M5 Brake Pads
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: M5 Brake Pads

M5 Brake Pads

I'm looking to run my stock 2001 M5 a few more times at Summit Point this year. I recently found out how quickly brakes can fade on a 4000lb car, so I am going to replace the fluid with Super Blue and install new pads (I wasted my current OEM set my first time out). I don't intend to buy a new brake system, since I'm not going to race it.

My question is: What are the best street/track pads that I can get that won't chatter on the road or destroy the finish of my wheels or paint?

I don't intend to track the M5 much, but when I'm there I'd like to make the most of it. Useful replies appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: M5 Brake Pads

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart.Levy
    I'm looking to run my stock 2001 M5 a few more times at Summit Point this year. I recently found out how quickly brakes can fade on a 4000lb car, so I am going to replace the fluid with Super Blue and install new pads (I wasted my current OEM set my first time out). I don't intend to buy a new brake system, since I'm not going to race it.

My question is: What are the best street/track pads that I can get that won't chatter on the road or destroy the finish of my wheels or paint?

I don't intend to track the M5 much, but when I'm there I'd like to make the most of it. Useful replies appreciated.

Thanks!
    How aggressive are you on the track?

The most dedicated track pads are going to chatter and dust. You're not going to truly find a suitable dual purpose street and track pad that is going to excel at either.

The best thing I can think of in terms of a compromise, and I am sure there is going to various opinions on this, is the Axxis Ultimate. It's not going to perform as well as a more dedicated track pad like a Hawk HP Plus, but it's not going to throw corrosive dust or sound like a garbage truck when slowing down. It is still better than an OEM pad.

I've used them at BeaveRun and Summit Point and they were ok more or less... But I was very aggressive (braking deep into the zones and trailbraking) on them at Summit on my sessions and used up a good amount of the pad by the end of the day. They were only 2 months old with 2 autoxes and 2 sessions at BeaveRun and they were down to about 50%.

One friend used them last year in his M3 for track and autox and loved them, but this year has gotten more aggressive with his track driving and now is going beyond the capabilities of the Axxis.

Again, it's not the ideal track pad, but a good compromise that is better than OEM for what you are looking for.

Jed - That's the answer I'm looking for! Just something better than OEM that won't be a problem to run on the street.

In answer to your question: "How aggressive are you on the track?" - Why bother going if you're not going to tear it up when you're there!

Thanks for the info!

Just keep in mind, you might fade them-maybe not as quick as an OEM pad-in aggressive driving. Especially in a heavier car like the M5.

I personally am getting a more aggressive pad-either the Porterfield R4S or Hawk HP Plus (also am running Super Blue), but this isn't my daily driver either.

Enjoy!

If your M5 is under warranty you should seriously reconsider using Super Blue. One of our other members had his brake warranty voided because he used it. Just a heads-up.

Also, I thought the Ultimates were not recommended for track use?

Quote Originally Posted by bren
    If your M5 is under warranty you should seriously reconsider using Super Blue. One of our other members had his brake warranty voided because he used it. Just a heads-up.

Also, I thought the Ultimates were not recommended for track use?
    Ultimates are a good autox/street pad. But based on what Stuart was requesting, that is the only thing that I could think of that would meet what he was looking for. Though not a dedicated track pad, it's still going to be better than an OEM pad.

Bren - Thanks for the heads up on the warranty. How would BMW know that I install Super Blue?

Also, have you had good experience with another pad that crosses over from track to street that isn't corrosive? Jed's suggestion of Ultimates made sense to me. I did a bit of looking around and I found similar feedback in other forums. So unless someone thinks i'm making a massive mistake, I'll give them a try and will see how they do.

Thanks!

Bren - Thanks for the heads up on the warranty. How would BMW know that I install Super Blue?

Also, have you had good experience with another pad that crosses over from track to street that isn't corrosive? Jed's suggestion of Ultimates made sense to me. I did a bit of looking around and I found similar feedback in other forums. So unless someone thinks i'm making a massive mistake, I'll give them a try and will see how they do.

Thanks!
    OEM fluid is probably not blue. (not meant to be a smart remark)

duhhh - good point. Didn't know that it was actually blue. I'll just do my own brake work (though its been a while for me) or have Excluservice in Rockville take care of it so i won't have problems with VOBustmya$$allthetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed

Thanks!
    OEM fluid is probably not blue. (not meant to be a smart remark)
    Jed is correct, BMW DOT4 fluid is clear/yellow. Our dealership is mod friendly but sometimes, if a BMW NA Service Rep happens to be here, they can look at a car and tell if a car has been tracked or not. It has happened a couple of times. I believe I e-mailed with you about your clutch. Still having problems? Have you had someone look at it?

I did have a problem with my clutch about a year ago. I bought my car with 15k miles when it was a year old from VOB. I'm certain that the previous owner of a test driver smoked the clutch - and tried to get it addressed before I bought it. VOB told me it was fine (I spoke to the Chief Mechanic), so I bought it.

It become obvious fast that I was right, they were wrong - so after a bit of fuss with BMW NA it was replaced. No problems since - and I'm good with both VOB and BMW since they both stepped up. Thanks for any help you provided while I was going through this - I'm amazed at your memory. I've already forgotten who I sent email to yesterday.

Thanks for any help you provided while I was going through this - I'm amazed at your memory. I've already forgotten who I sent email to yesterday.
    I'm Bill Schofield at BMW of Towson. Glad I could help.
    You also inquired about Dinan. I have several happy Dinan M5 owners, one of which is on this board

LOL! Thanks anyway Bill. I'm not going to go that far with my M5, though if you know someone who wants to sell a race modified Z06 I might have a spot in my garage for it!

A track pad is going to dust, sqeak, squeal, etc... A street pad is going to suck for throwing out an anchor for 4000lbs. How about just swapping a track pad on at the track?

And there are 2 versions of Super Blue... one is gold in color.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby
    And there are 2 versions of Super Blue... one is gold in color.
    The gold color version is called TYP 200

Thread Information