Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
No heat

Thread: No heat

No heat

I have a 94 325 which will not produce heat unless the rpms are above 1500. It is fine when it is working. Anyone have this problem?

Banned
    Had an old girlfriend who a 95 325i with a similar problem. Thermostat was failing. If I remember correctly Bill replaced thermostat, housing and water pump all at the same time.

Dave Apker
    Last edited by OwnedbyDuncan; 12-13-2005 at 09:20 AM.

I replaced the thermostat/houseing and pump in 2000. It better not be failing already, but that was the only thing i was thinking of too. the car does get to "normal hot". the last time this happened it did not warm up all the way in the winter.

I don't know about the E30s, but did you bleed the cooling system?
    Heater bypass valve?
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

We are talking about an M50 car, it's a 94 325is correct? Water pump failing? How is the engine temps? But I would have suggested the thermostat also.

Quote Originally Posted by M-technik-3
    We are talking about an M50 car, it's a 94 325is correct? Water pump failing? How is the engine temps? But I would have suggested the thermostat also.
    I forgot it was an E36. The bypass valve has two hoses going to it. Once water is circulating and the heat is on, both hoses should be warm.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

I am going to try the thermostat. Everything else seems to be OK. I think this car is just a lemon. my wife bought the car from her aunt and we have had to replace, water pump, radiator, engine fan x2, spark plug at 60,000, and more i don't want to spend money on. It seems like anything plastic breaks. I am just used to old faithful.. 87 325is which is a rock.

Jared
    Last edited by 87325is; 12-14-2005 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 87325is
    I am going to try the thermostat. Everything else seems to be OK. I think this car is just a lemon. my wife bought the car from her aunt and we have had to replace, water pump, radiator, engine fan x2, spark plug at 60,000, and more i don't want to spend money on. It seems like anything plastic breaks. I am just used to old faithful.. 87 325is which is a rock.

Jared
    You've had it for at least 5 years and only done that?
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

the normal shocks/mounts, battery, front ball joints/control arm bushing, gibo(sp?). Should replace power steering hoses, front and rear window seals rotten,

o AND the fuel sender gasket failed and housing cracked making me high for a month and i am sure i lost a few brain cells. Bet that had never happened to anyone else

i love BMW's but feel it is ridiculous all of this broke. The e30 never had(and hope not) many issues and my fathers e46 is great.

the e36 was a big change from my e30

Not sure it's the water pump, thermostat, etc.

I'm experiencing the same problem with my `97 328i. I replaced the water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, and both coolant hoses this past summer (the pump had gone bad so I figured I might as well do most everything else while I had it apart). Replaced the radiator in 2002. I've tried bleeding the system, but with no luck - I can't get hot air without giving the engine some gas. Ever since I replaced the water pump and thermostat my engine temperatures have been right where they should be. Sounds like I should check the bypass valve next.

As for the reliability of E36's, well, I've been happy. At nearly 150K miles the amount of work I've had to do has been quite moderate. Things seem to degenerate according to type; most of my problems were electrical at first, now I've moved on to the heating and cooling system.

You may have a bad heater control valve. Sounds like not enough volume of coolant is passing through the heater core at idle. Also if you have a lot of miles on the car, I would back flush the heater core to clean out any debris. I have an e-36 and a e-30 and love them both. Good luck!

Thanks for both suggestions. I hadn't thought of back flushing the heater core, but that makes sense. It looks like Bavarian Autosport has the heater valve for ~$130. Does that sound about right?

Quote Originally Posted by BenRaty
    Thanks for both suggestions. I hadn't thought of back flushing the heater core, but that makes sense. It looks like Bavarian Autosport has the heater valve for ~$130. Does that sound about right?
    Call either BMW of Towson or Tischer and ask their price. Be sure to mention you are a BMW CCA member.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Tisher has good cca pricing. Most of the time they have givien me and or matched web prices. they are closer to me and i dont have to pay shipping.

Thread Information