Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt... salt, salt, salt
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt... salt, salt, salt

Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt... salt, salt, salt

I have a question... why is it that only salt (and phenomenally huge quantities of it) is used on the roads around here. Where I'm from, salt is a small percentage of the mixture they put down on the road - it's mostly sand - and it seems to work just fine.
    I'm sorry, but I find it rediculous that my black car, after a snowfall totalling ~1" which melted before I was done with my morning coffee, should be completely white with salt after driving less than two miles.
    It's not even nice little salt - it's big friggin rock salt that I'm sure leaves cute salty scratches that will, before long, become rust.
    Am I alone on this???
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Diriclet
    I have a question... why is it that only salt (and phenomenally huge quantities of it) is used on the roads around here. Where I'm from, salt is a small percentage of the mixture they put down on the road - it's mostly sand - and it seems to work just fine.
    I'm sorry, but I find it rediculous that my black car, after a snowfall totalling ~1" which melted before I was done with my morning coffee, should be completely white with salt after driving less than two miles.
    It's not even nice little salt - it's big friggin rock salt that I'm sure leaves cute salty scratches that will, before long, become rust.
    Am I alone on this???
    Because it is cheap.

http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmej/9803/rm980301.htm

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    cheaper than sand...???
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

cheaper than sand...???
    Sand adds traction. Salt melts the snow/ice.

---Eric

My whole point was that there is excessive salt use - we only had one inch of snow - it's all gone now - none of it was sticking to the roads to begin with. Now, there are literally piles of salt on the roadways around here - you could melt a damn glacier with the amount they put down... there's no need for that volume of salt use.
    Now that I'm thinking of it, I think I'll make myself a Margarita...
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

My whole point was that there is excessive salt use - we only had one inch of snow - it's all gone now - none of it was sticking to the roads to begin with. Now, there are literally piles of salt on the roadways around here - you could melt a damn glacier with the amount they put down... there's no need for that volume of salt use.
    Now that I'm thinking of it, I think I'll make myself a Margarita...
    I just got home and the roads were covered in ice (not salt).

---Eric

Banned
    They have been using salt in the DC area for at least 30 years. You have to remember in this area approx 90% of the snow/ice storms happen when the temps are between 28-36 degrees. This is also when snow/ice is the slickest and most dangerous. And the slush refreezes into ice at night. Sand doesn't work well in this area. Salt and sand/salt does.
    Mt Weather and Rt 7 out by Berryville was covered with a fine grit Sunday morning from the snow/sleet storm Saturday night/Sunday morning. Didn't see any evidence of salt. Rt 7 on top of Mt Weather was close to freezing at 1030am Sunday morning. Made for a fun trip down.

We all better hope for an average or below average snow fall winter nothing worse than VDOT and MD whatever running out of money and chemicals.

Word of advice avoid the car washed for a few days many recycle water and their filters dont get out all the fine grit from chemicals on the road.

And its supposed to snow and ice again Thursday night.

Dave Apker

washin' the buggy...

Given the recent weather conditions (and the forecast for more snow Thurs. night)...what's the best way to cope with regards to protecting the paint? Wait for a window of opportunity, then rinse the vehicle off as best you can?

Quote Originally Posted by rwfisheriv
    Given the recent weather conditions (and the forecast for more snow Thurs. night)...what's the best way to cope with regards to protecting the paint? Wait for a window of opportunity, then rinse the vehicle off as best you can?
    Yes. And remember that you can fill your soap bucket with warm water inside.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by rwfisheriv
    Park and wait until spring.

Wash it whenever possible. I usually wait until after the next decent rain so most of the salt has washed off the road. Put a good coat of wax/sealant on the car in the Fall and don't worry about it that much.

You can also research Quick Easy Wash (QEW)/Spray and wash/there are a few different waterless carwash brands out there... I think they are made to wash your car when it is not dirty enough that you need a full wash and too dirty for simply using a quick detailing spray. I haven't tried them but I've heard you need the temp to be at least 40-50 for it to not leave streaks.

Buy a set of dishwashing gloves. You will feel a little silly washing your car with bright yellow/purple gloves on but you would be surprised how well insulated they are. You won't feel the cold water nearly as bad.

---Eric

They dump the beach on the roads here north of Richmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins
    They dump the beach on the roads here north of Richmond.
    Yuck. I would rather have salt than sand. The salt might be in bigger pieces at first but it washes away quickly. The sand stays on the road much longer and pelts my car every time someone drives slightly out of the lane.

---Eric

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    Yuck. I would rather have salt than sand. The salt might be in bigger pieces at first but it washes away quickly. The sand stays on the road much longer and pelts my car every time someone drives slightly out of the lane.

---Eric
    +1.

Colin--

If you want some sand, come to my condo parking lot. When I left for work Tuesday morning, it was fine even for my car (maybe 1" of snow if I'm feeling generous). When I came home Tuesday even, it looked like the Army Corp of Engineers had dumped a month's worth of dredging sand from the Outer Banks in our lot. Thank goodness I splurged for the winter mats for the car this year. If it snows again tonight, maybe I'll host a beach party in the parking lot after they come again.

Thread Information