Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
What helmet to buy?

Thread: What helmet to buy?

What helmet to buy?

I want to get into autox. I watched the event the club just hosted at Ripken Stadium and I am pumped for the upcoming season.

I know I need a helmet, are there any restrictions as to what kind I need? I plan to use my daily driver in the events so I would imagine that I would be in the stock classes with my e36 328is. There are no performance modifications whatsoever, yet...

www.ridegear.com has some helmets for ~$100 but I don't want to buy something I can't use. Any ideas? I want to go cheap so there is room in the budget for tires too.

Thanks,
    Bill

You really need to try own helmets in person.
    If you are only going to do autocross you can use an M rated helmet.
    If you think you might be doing driving schools, I'd suggest a SA helmet.

M and SA are Snell Foundation ratings.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Banned
    It is your brain. Buy the best helmet you think your brain is worth. Stuff happens. Brains injuries are serious. Take it from someone who has fallen on their head way too many times. How else do you explain me getting a
    a crazy collie puppy with winter starting!

Dave Apker

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan
    It is your brain. Buy the best helmet you think your brain is worth....
    I don't think they will let me autocross with a paper mache helmet.

Here is an old thread with some helmet recommendations:
    http://www.nccbmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

Good thread, I'm in the same boat you're in.

Get the one that fits. Do not mail order a helmet.

-- Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jkuper
    Get the one that fits. Do not mail order a helmet.
    I ordered mine over the internet. Of course, I borrowed a friend's and tried it on first.

---Eric

Take a Saturday morning drive out to Dulles and try on a bunch of helmets at O.G. Racing. Different helmet manufacturers fit better on some shapes of heads than others, e.g. I've got a "Bell" head, whereas a friend of mine has more of a "Simpson" head.

And after you've picked up a good, comfortable helmet, you can mosey over to All-Sports Grand Prix and take it for a test run (just don't crash test it).

I second Dan's recommendation. Go out to OG and try on a variety of helmets. The folks out there are very helpful. I went in thinking I was going to buy a particular Bell helmet, but after trying on a number of helmets. I found that the Simpson helmets fit me the best.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Banned
    If enough club members are interested someone can organize a club buy with OG for helmets especially if folks want a SA 05.

I am looking for a good buy on bambi bones for the pups.

Dave Apker

Does anyone know if OG sells M rated helmets?

---Eric

They do not. If you really want an M helmet, Coleman PowerSports in Falls Church has a big selection.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3
    They do not. If you really want an M helmet, Coleman PowerSports in Falls Church has a big selection.
    Thanks Woody.

---Eric

Thread Information