Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Ready to take the leap...

View Poll Results: R Compound or Street Max performance

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • R compound (Toyo Proxes RA-1s)

4 57.14%
  • Max Street (Michelin Pilot Sports)

3 42.86%

Thread: Ready to take the leap...

Cool Ready to take the leap...

I have kept my car (99 E36 M3) stock for the last three drivers schools, and I get a pretty much consistent tone/ sound response from the all-seasons that I have on my car. The car comes with 17's 225 in front 245 in back.

Well, based on advice from my instructor, I am thinking I need to step up to dedicated tires for driving schools. I'm think about increasing wheel size (18's), going from teh Kumho ASXs to possibly Michelin pilot's or Proxes RA-1s? Also probably a new set of wheels to go with it. Any thoughts/ advice on what is reasonable? Upsizing from 225/245 to 235/255? Does that make any sense?

Thanks,
    unclehumble

Do your suspension before you put R-tires on. Lots of stick makes the stock suspension twitchy at the limit--the massive weight transfer allowed by R-tires can make oversteer rather frightening.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Have you been in B-group, yet? The reason I ask is the no-brake and off-line exercises -- R-Comps make them much more interesting, but also a lot more of a handful if you've never done it before.

Also, how have your skidpad sessions gone? Have you effectively been able to induce and correct for both understeer and oversteer, yet? If not, making adjustments to your suspension and/or tires will make mastering them that much more difficult.

A lot of instructors will tell you that they've never used anything other than streets on the track. (Although, personally, I think the Pilot Sports are waaaay too expensive -- go for something like the Yoko AVS ES100; cheap and 90% of the MPS performance.)

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    Have you been in B-group, yet? The reason I ask is the no-brake and off-line exercises -- R-Comps make them much more interesting, but also a lot more of a handful if you've never done it before.

Also, how have your skidpad sessions gone? Have you effectively been able to induce and correct for both understeer and oversteer, yet? If not, making adjustments to your suspension and/or tires will make mastering them that much more difficult.

A lot of instructors will tell you that they've never used anything other than streets on the track. (Although, personally, I think the Pilot Sports are waaaay too expensive -- go for something like the Yoko AVS ES100; cheap and 90% of the MPS performance.)
    I disagree strongly. Modern Bimmers are MUCH more of a handful with stock suspensions than they are when modified. The newer suspensions grip and grip and grip, until they let go... And when they go, it can be pretty ****ing scary.

Emphasis on modern. The E30s that I've driven didn't have this tendency.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
    Do your suspension before you put R-tires on. Lots of stick makes the stock suspension twitchy at the limit--the massive weight transfer allowed by R-tires can make oversteer rather frightening.
    My car rolls like mad with RA1s. I think Nick is right on this one. If you are driving your car to the limits on street tires and stock suspension, I might opt for working on suspension first but I would use a dedicated set of street tires though.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Plus, a decent suspension will save you a hell of a lot of money in tires. My tires last about three times as long with adequate camber.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
    I disagree strongly. Modern Bimmers are MUCH more of a handful with stock suspensions than they are when modified. The newer suspensions grip and grip and grip, until they let go... And when they go, it can be pretty ****ing scary.

Emphasis on modern. The E30s that I've driven didn't have this tendency.
    Since both my bimmers are old enough to vote in the next election (and my Mustang turned 40 in April), I'll defer to Nick's familiarity with the quirks of the E36/E46 families.
    Last edited by SharkD; 10-12-2005 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    Since both my bimmers are old enough to vote in the next election, I'll defer to Nick's familiarity with the quirks of the E36/E46 families.
    IMHO, the worst part of it is the way the stock suspension builds overconfidence. You're a lot more careful in a car that moves around a little.

I pretty much agree with Nick (scary isn't it ).

I would look into dedicated street tires for track. I used a set of Sumitomo HTR Z IIs for awhile. Not a bad tire, but pretty cheap and still usable as a rain tire. Pretty good life also. It would make a nice step up from all seasons.

Then some minor suspension upgrades, moving along as you gain experience. I would say shocks and some more negative camber int eh front to start. BimmerWorld and Turner sell kits that can increase the front camber, and you can swap the hats on 96 and later M3s for more negative camber. Later, springs and sways.
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
    SCCA Spec Racer Ford Red/White

Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone
    I pretty much agree with Nick (scary isn't it ).

I would look into dedicated street tires for track. I used a set of Sumitomo HTR Z IIs for awhile. Not a bad tire, but pretty cheap and still usable as a rain tire. Pretty good life also. It would make a nice step up from all seasons.

Then some minor suspension upgrades, moving along as you gain experience. I would say shocks and some more negative camber int eh front to start. BimmerWorld and Turner sell kits that can increase the front camber, and you can swap the hats on 96 and later M3s for more negative camber. Later, springs and sways.
    You're just sucking up since I'm working on your car this weekend. :neener:

Actually I do agree with you at times.

And thanks for the help. I did track down the brake problem, seems the left front bleeder screw did not get fully tightened.
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW

Reponse to all..

Hey, well thanks to all for the replies, I have pretty much come to the same conclusion anyway, based on all my readings. Tires first, next is springs...

I gotta tell you I love getting this thing out on the track and there really aren't too many better things then getting your car out on the track.

Thanks for all the time and comments.

Funny, reading the thread I thought teh concensus was shocks, springs, sways, THEN tires?

Having just done the suspension on my E46 m3. And running it on street tires at Summit, the suspension makes mroe of a difference than the tires do. And the car is much better behaved on a modded suspension on street tires than on R-comps (Michelin Pilot Sport Cups) on a pretty much stock suspension.

Suspension FIRST.
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW

yep, that's what I meant...what you said.

Springs first, then tires.
    "Great Spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds."

Thread Information