Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
winter prep?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: winter prep?

winter prep?

My wife and I just bought a 2005 X3. I was wondering what I should do in terms of car wash, wax, etc. I've seen all kinds of detailing hints on bimmerfest, but was really wondering if I need to "clay" the vehicle, or just wash it and throw a coat of wax on....

At a minimum I think I will put a coat of wax on the rims...they tend to collect brake dust.....

Thanks!
    -R

Quote Originally Posted by rwfisheriv
    My wife and I just bought a 2005 X3. I was wondering what I should do in terms of car wash, wax, etc. I've seen all kinds of detailing hints on bimmerfest, but was really wondering if I need to "clay" the vehicle, or just wash it and throw a coat of wax on....

At a minimum I think I will put a coat of wax on the rims...they tend to collect brake dust.....

Thanks!
    -R
    Wash the car and run your hand across the paint. If it feels rough then you should consider claying it. If it feels relatively smooth, then I wouldn't worry about it and would wait until next spring. My personal preference is to do a good detailing in the spring (clay/polish/wax) so I can enjoy it all summer and I just add some additional protection (sealant/wax) in the fall to make it through the winter. Cars around here get filthy pretty fast in the winter so I don't see much point in giving them a showroom shine until the spring (plus I get lazy and don't want to do a full detail more than once a year ).

Throw a coat of wax on the rims AND the rest of the car and do a full detail in the spring when it is warmer.

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

I do the exact same thing Eric just mentioned.

I'm getting prepped for the winter as well. I'm planning to do a full detail (Claybar, six coats of Zaino on the body and three coats for the wheels). You don't HAVE to clay, but if you're obsessive like me and imperative that you get the best level surface for your wax to bond...do it. Otherwise, a wash and wax should be adequate for the winter, and like AlfaEric said, you can wait until the spring to do a full detail.

Zaino

I'm leaning toward a good wash and a coat of wax, and leave the detailing until the spring. With that in mind, would a couple of coats of Zaino Z2 Pro work or would it be better to use something like Klasse AIO?

I'm leaning toward a good wash and a coat of wax, and leave the detailing until the spring. With that in mind, would a couple of coats of Zaino Z2 Pro work or would it be better to use something like Klasse AIO?
    Klasse AIO is a chemical cleaner. It will provide *some* protection but I would follow that with a coat (or a couple coats) of Klasse SG (Sealant Glaze). I'm not really familiar enough to comment on Zaino although I've known plenty of people who like it. I'm a Klasse AIO/SG fan at the moment.

---Eric

Zaino offers excellent protection, unmatched imo. If you're using the ZFX additive, you could probably do three coats of Z2 (or you could mix a coat of Z5 there instead) in a couple of hours. Make sure to use Z6 or Z8 between every coat as well. I don't know if you're familiar with the Zaino system or not. If you need more info, just ask.
    -David

Zaino system

From what I've seen I'll just have to try Zaino and Klasse to see which works best in my hands. For the time being, I think I'll go the Zaino route. I'll order some Z2 Pro, Z6, and ZFX and hope for a relatively warm day in the near future.

From what I've seen I'll just have to try Zaino and Klasse to see which works best in my hands. For the time being, I think I'll go the Zaino route. I'll order some Z2 Pro, Z6, and ZFX and hope for a relatively warm day in the near future.
    I'll just give you a quick list of introducing your car to the Zaino system:
    (There are more detailed instructions and information on Zainostore.com)
    (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...de=APPLICATION)

1. Wash your car with liquid Dawn (or any other hand dishwashing liquid)
    -This removes any wax left over to prep the car for Zaino.

2. Dry your car thoroughly! (After you dry the exterior, you should open the doors and trunk to clear the jams of water, I found that while you're waxing water magically appears out of nowhere, better to prep for that ahead of time)
    -You should invest in some large cotton towels (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...S&Store_Code=Z)
    -OR some good microfiber towels (I purchased mine from pakshak.com)
    -Either route, you'll need them for drying and buffing
    -I just purchased a cheap electric leaf blower to dry the car quicker and get rid of the water in the jams without opening the doors. But I'm obsessive. (I'll let you know how it works out)

3. Waxing with ZFX: If you want to both Z2 and Z5, use two of the 2ounce bottles provided.
    -Fill half of one bottle with Z2 and half of the other bottle with Z5 (one ounce in each bottle) and put 4-5 drops of ZFX into each bottle. Follow the directions on the Zaino website.
    -2ounces of Zaino will do FIVE coats, so remember a little goes a LONG way, I can't stress this enough (I used so much the first time, because I was confused) You'll have 2.5 coats in each bottle at this point then.

4 Waxing procedure:
    -Another reason why it's so great is that it takes nearly no effort to apply it, you're basically just glazing it on.
    -This is from the site:
    Applying ZFXâ„¢ Enabled Show Car Polish
    Follow these easy steps:
    1. Apply Zaino Show Car Polish enabled with ZFXâ„¢ with a 100%, made in the USA, cotton applicator. Use the polish sparingly. A small amount goes a long way, and you will be applying multiple coats.
    2. Squirt a dime size dab of polish on your applicator and rub it into your paint using circular hand motions. Then, go over the same area using a straight back and forth motion on top panels and an up and down motion on side panels. Allow the polish to haze over (20 minutes is sufficient).
    3. Buff off the Show Car Polish residue with a high quality, 100%, made in the USA, cotton detailing towel.
    4. After buffing, spray the car with a light mist of Z-6 Ultra Cleanâ„¢ detailing spray. Z-6 will help buff away any remaining residue and enhances the brightness of the finish. Using Z-6, the next coat of Zaino Show Car Polish will apply even easier.
    -That pretty much says it, just work in small panels.

Make sure you read all the tip and tricks, and product info too (there's extra info there)

I probably missed some things, so if you have any more questions feel free to ask. Have fun!
    -David

I use Zaino z2/z5 on top of Klasse AIO. Works like a charm. SG is Klasse's equivalent of z2, and zaino doesn't really have anything the equivalent of AIO. I've never used SG myself, but I've seen other cars with it and they look great. Between Zaino and Klasse SG it's really just personal preference in terms of looks. Zaino however, lasts longer from most accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Ham
    I use Zaino z2/z5 on top of Klasse AIO. Works like a charm. SG is Klasse's equivalent of z2, and zaino doesn't really have anything the equivalent of AIO. I've never used SG myself, but I've seen other cars with it and they look great. Between Zaino and Klasse SG it's really just personal preference in terms of looks. Zaino however, lasts longer from most accounts.
    I've heard of a couple people topping AIO with Zaino. AIO is a great product. I top it with a couple coats of Klasse SG and repeat about every 6 months. They claim AIO will last 6 months and SG will last a year. I wouldn't expect that. I have had it last easily that long on my Alfa but that car is rarely driven in the rain, never in the snow, sits under a car cover in a garage.... Not exactly the proper test scenario for durability. I did my truck early this fall and it still clearly has plenty of protection. It is parked outside every day and I'm not worried about it until Spring. My BMW is not a good test subject for anything other than extreme polishes or paint.

Both Zaino and Klasse are great products that should last 6 months (when properly applied). The only reason to go one direction or the other is personal preference. Some might find one easier to apply than the other or they might like the way one brings out the shine differently. For protection, both are good.

---Eric

For those of you who are not anal-compulsive detailers, Rejex is an EXCELLENT alternative. You get 98% of the Zaino shine, and protection that lasts a LONG time. I last rejexed my M3 in November. November of 2004, to be precise, and my paint is STILL beading well. Best of all, rejex is an easy on/easy off SINGLE STEP process.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
    For those of you who are not anal-compulsive detailers, Rejex is an EXCELLENT alternative. You get 98% of the Zaino shine, and protection that lasts a LONG time. I last rejexed my M3 in November. November of 2004, to be precise, and my paint is STILL beading well. Best of all, rejex is an easy on/easy off SINGLE STEP process.
    Are you sure that is still Rejex beading? What kind of carwash are you using? Is your car normally garaged? You might want to consider applying another coat just to be safe... Their website says it should last from 6-8 months but they have had "numerous reports from customers who say it lasted well over a year". They recommend re-applying every 4-6 months for optimum protection.

http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

Rejex doesn't contain any cleaners (chemical nor abrasive). I think it is more like Klasse SG or Zaino z2.

---Eric

I can't recall what I'm using, but the unwaxed track car does not bead AT ALL, so I think it's safe to say that my car wash is not doing it.

Yes, the car's garaged.

And yes, it'll get a new coat on it. I just haven't had time. More to the point, it's been parked at the dealer for over six weeks now.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
    I can't recall what I'm using, but the unwaxed track car does not bead AT ALL, so I think it's safe to say that my car wash is not doing it.

Yes, the car's garaged.

And yes, it'll get a new coat on it. I just haven't had time. More to the point, it's been parked at the dealer for over six weeks now.
    Ouch, that sux. The garage definately helps. Some dealers will wash your car before they return it - assuming it is dealer maintained. They could be using a carwash with wax (just a thought). Then again, a garage kept car can have its wax/sealant last a VERY long time.

---Eric

Thread Information