Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
manual transmission fluid for an '87 e30

Thread: manual transmission fluid for an '87 e30

manual transmission fluid for an '87 e30

sorry about all of the postings lately, but i'm in a replace/repair mode.

anyway, i went to the dealership to get a bunch of parts and the one thing that the parts guy couldn't help me with was what fluid to put in the manual transmission. he thought that it was castrol dexron III automatic transmission fluid (one of the mechanics told him this), but he wouldn't sell it to me as he wasn't sure.

anyone know what the correct answer is, for sure?

thanks,
    jim

Red Line MTL is what I put in. Anything that'll cool and lube the moving parts will work to varying degrees, but I think most people agree either on the Red Line stuff, or whatever the Swepco equivalent is.

Banned
    It depends on the trannie. Some take auto trannie fluid and others dont.
    Some BMW manual trannies shouldn't use MTL.

For a stock '87? Yep, Red Line MTL will work fine. Get 2 quarts. You'll only need about 1.5 or so.

thanks for the red line tip. is there anywhere local that i can buy it? i don't feel like paying shipping to get the stuff from bavauto or pelican.

thanks again,
    jim

I get mine from OG Racing. Their store is in Sterling, VA, website is www.ogracing.com.

Greg

Another vote for Redline MTL & O.G.

ok, i went to redline's website and they have a bunch of different products listed. they have the following weights/designations for gear oils listed:

75W90
    75W140
    80W140
    75W90NS
    75W140NS

i guessing the winner is the 75W90. is that correct? (i didn't see anything called "MTL" listed on their website)

thanks again,
    jim

Jim - MTL is described here -> http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...sp?subcatID=18

You're looking at the gear oil stuff, which typically for diffs.

OwnedbyDuncan, you're right about the ATF. According to TMS, trannies made after 1/95 should use Redline D4 ATF.

doh! thanks for saving me from my own stupidity! ok, maybe ignorance would be the correct word. then again...

The lubes you listed are diff lubes, not tranny lubes.

I run MTL in our E36 M3 and M Roadster. I run BMW LTF2 in the E46 M3.
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
    SCCA Spec Racer Ford Red/White

Thread Information