Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Is there any value in Racing simulators?

Thread: Is there any value in Racing simulators?

Is there any value in Racing simulators?

Does anyone have any thoughts about using racing simulators to learn how to race a little better? reading the line/ apex, etc? I just bought this incredible racing simulator with a Momo (Logitech) steering wheel. The program is called GTR and it sounds realistic...and outside of feeling the G Forces, I gotta say it seems pretty realistic to me. If any one else has a setup maybe we can race on-line against each other.

Check out the link, I just bought it to see wether it was worth it or not.
    http://www.10tacle.com/gtr-game/

Any one have any thoughts?
    Last edited by unclehumble; 11-24-2005 at 04:38 PM.

IMHO... um... save up your video game money and go to the track...
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

Banned
    IT can give you idea of the track layout and the turns but it isn't your car. Also it doesn't give you any of the sensory inputs that let you knwo what the car is doing etc and when you are about to lose it.

It can't duplicate track conditions such as the difference between driving Summit Point the first morning session in March or April compared to a session after lunch.

Dave Apker

ok, fair enough...

I won't be sitting in front of the simulator in the stead of track time...you will be seeing me out there again next year.

Just asking if it had any value in addition to the track...obviously "running your Bimma in its power band around a track at the limits of adhesion: Priceless.

I was want eventually make my E36 a Sunday racer (once I win the lottery) just wondering if using the simulator will "teach" me any more about real racing versus trying to pick it up via word of mouth or otherwise.

V
    "Great Spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds."

Quote Originally Posted by unclehumble
    just wondering if using the simulator will "teach" me any more about real racing versus trying to pick it up via word of mouth or otherwise.

V
    sorry, nope.
    I play GT4 and Forza Motorsport like a fiend. They are both very precise in using 'simulation' effects (i.e. shock settings, sway-bar adjustment, tire pressure, gear ratios, differential ratios, etc.) - however, they are nothing, NOTHING, like being on the track. Unfortunately, they are just what they are - games. It's like saying that playing DOOM3 will make you a battle-hardened warrior... not gonna happen.
    My advice; enjoy the game, but realize that's all it is - and, do what I'm doing right now; dreaming about that first warm spring day when I can get back on the track.
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

I disagree. I had a FATT student who spent a lot of time on simulators. And it did translte to a much quicker learning curve. Can it substituto totally, absolutely not, but they can help.

Years ago I used to runa group trip every year to play laser tag withreal airplanes. Most of the participants had NO real flying experience, but had lots of sim time. Those who were good in the sims were good in teh airplane. Good enough to make me work to beat them. And I had teh benefit of a couple of million dollars worth of training in real fighters.
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
    SCCA Spec Racer Ford Red/White

in the words of Doc Holiday, "...I stand corrected..."
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone
    I disagree. I had a FATT student who spent a lot of time on simulators. And it did translte to a much quicker learning curve. Can it substituto totally, absolutely not, but they can help.

Years ago I used to runa group trip every year to play laser tag withreal airplanes. Most of the participants had NO real flying experience, but had lots of sim time. Those who were good in the sims were good in teh airplane. Good enough to make me work to beat them. And I had teh benefit of a couple of million dollars worth of training in real fighters.
    i agree terry. while sims won't teach you how to race you car better, they will:

1/ teach you the layout of a new track. a couple of hours on a sim running the new to you track you will be on next weekend will make a huge difference in your track awareness.

2/ teach you the concepts of vehicle dynamics and car control. play with the car adjustments and see what they do in the sim. won't exactly replicate what you will actually feel in your car, but understanding the concepts will get you further up the learning curve.

i wasted a bazillion hours flying apache helo's in the ah-64d longbow game. then i had the opportunity to fly one of our coast guard hh-65 helo's. the real pilot in the other seat was shocked at my piloting capability since i had never actually flown one before. when i explained all my "logitec sticktime", he understood.

sims ain't a substitute for the real thing, but they help with some basics. and they are a fun way to spend the winter while the race car is in a million pieces on the floor of the shop for winter maint!

Well, you are definately rigth, I don't think there is any replacement for actual seat time on the track...but I guess i was looking for more along the lines of what Pinecone suggested, that at least it will bring about a greater "awareness" of what vehicle dynamics are all about.

I gotta tell you this game GTR is pretty freakin cool though. When your tires start to scrub going around a corner, you will start to feel the jitters in the wheel, letting you know to back off or loose it. The other nice thing is when you do loose it, you never get black flagged by the corner works, telling you gotta jump into the pits to check and see if you broke/ tore something on the underside of your car.

Any of you have this GTR game online?

I must say for the $100 steering wheel/ pedal kit...it is a lot of fun...even if you just race Spa and then Donnington and then eat dinner. I would call that a full day.
    "Great Spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds."

Thread Information