Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
E39 Tension Strut Replacement

Thread: E39 Tension Strut Replacement

E39 Tension Strut Replacement

I need to replace the left tension strut, I am going to replace the front left rear control arm at the same time. I have the parts but the problem I am running into is separating the ball joint from the steering knuckle without causing the bushing to come out as well.

I have tried a three finger press and found that the one I have isn't big enough, a pickle fork doesn't work either. I am in need of a 31 2 240 special tool. I found one online for about $160 which is kind of steep for a tool I will probably use once or twice.

Does anyone have one I can borrow or rent for a reasonable fee? I need to get this done because I am afraid the strut will break one of these days, and that would be bad.

Dave

Dave
    This is the one I have and works great. Another friend is borrowing it right now but after he is done I am willing to let you use it.
    Or for $50 you can get one.
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...958sch01a~sch/

2001 750iL DD74441
    Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
    H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

I ended up buying one from ECS tuning and hopefully will be doing the work this sunday. As long as the weather holds anyway.

Excellent and hope it goes smoothly.
    It will be interesting to see if any neighbors ask about or report “gun shots” when you do it. Ha!

2001 750iL DD74441
    Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
    H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

Thread Information