Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
e92 M3 burring oil

Thread: e92 M3 burring oil

Threaded View

e92 M3 burring oil

While driving my car home last week, a biker who was following me, flagged me to tell me that he could smell oil burning from my exhaust. I have owned this car for 2 1/2 years and this is the first time I have heard of this issue. I'm hoping that someone on this forum can provide some insights into what might be happening. I bought my car in January 2016 with 14,800 miles. This is not my daily driver and I have tracked it regularly, ~25 track days in the last 2 1/2 years. Today, the car has 33,000 miles. I change the DCT fluid (BMW genuine fluid) and engine oil every March, before the start of track season with Liqui Moly 2024 Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10W-60 Motor Oil.

I have made the following modifications to the car. After changing the coolers, DCT Pan, VAC Oil Pan with Baffle and Rod Bearings, this past May I noticed the low engine oil warning. There are no visible oil leaks underneath the car or on my garage floor and I have never noticed the smell of burning oil on the street or track. I thought maybe the oil sensor didn't get along with the VAC Oil Pan with baffle but VAC told me that none of their e92 customers had reported any issue. Then I thought that maybe the oil sensor has gone bad but now this new issue of burning oil has me wondering whether the oil sensor is correctly reporting low oil level and that there is a larger issue brewing. I also noticed that even with the upgraded coolers, my engine temps ran very hot this past summer; although I am relying on the OEM Oil temp gauge and have no way to confirm how accurate it is.

I have read where other e92 owners have reported having to add oil (1 quart or so) in between oil changes but none of those posts were for a car that is primarily tracked and occasionally driven on the street. So, I wasn't able to determine whether this is an issue in cars that are tracked a lot and possible resolution.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Engine/Chasis
    * Tune
    * BE Bearings with upgraded bolts
    * Active Autowerke Under Pulley
    * DO.88 Oil Cooler
    * DO.88 Power Steering Cooler
    * VAC Oil Pan with Baffle
    * Bimmerworld X Pipes - primary and secondary cat delete with resonators
    * Agency Power Exhaust

Transmission
    * DO.88 DCT Cooler
    * Gintani Aluminum DCT Pan
    Last edited by VikAry; 09-24-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Thread Information