Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Rim Question
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rim Question

Rim Question

After a long day at the track, using Hawk Blue pads in front, my rims are coated with caked-on brake dust. It's REALLY caked on and lots of cleaning is not making much of a dent.

Anyone got a suggestion for something that works to remove caked-on brake dust??
    TIA,
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    =====================================
    2007 328xi Coupe in sparkling graphite
    2007 GT3
    ======================================
    1999 Civic Si: Races in SCCA showroom stock C
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SC...01_04_0067.htm

No. Hawk Blue dust does not come off once it gets wet. I strongly recommend using a different pad.

Just hope it's not on your paint, because the only way I've ever heard of to get it off is to strip the car and repaint.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Have you tried Eagle One A2Z? I've found it to be one of the stronger wheel cleaners.

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    Have you tried Eagle One A2Z? I've found it to be one of the stronger wheel cleaners.

---Eric

Eric,
    Thanks for the tip.
    Where do you get it??
    I looked at www.eagleone.com and saw other wheel-cleaner products, but not A2Z.
    TIA,
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    2007 GT3
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

Track Auto sells the stuff. Or maybe Auto Zone.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Barry
    Eric,
    Thanks for the tip.
    Where do you get it??
    I looked at www.eagleone.com and saw other wheel-cleaner products, but not A2Z.
    TIA,
    Barry
    A2Z doesn't do crap. I've used it. I can't even cut through the dust of OE pads.

If scrubbing won't do it, nothing will.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
    A2Z doesn't do crap. I've used it. I can't even cut through the dust of OE pads.

If scrubbing won't do it, nothing will.
    I used A2Z on some old E30 wheels I bought. These wheels looked like they hadn't been washed in years. I tried several different products and even tried using a pressure washer. A2Z (with a little scrubbing) was the only product that seemed to work.

---Eric

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    I used A2Z on some old E30 wheels I bought. These wheels looked like they hadn't been washed in years. I tried several different products and even tried using a pressure washer. A2Z (with a little scrubbing) was the only product that seemed to work.

---Eric
    *shrug* Hawk Blues are famous for their corrosiveness. Even among all the other corrosive track pads out there, Hawk Blues are almost universally reviled for their ability to ruin wheels and destroy paint jobs. If the dust got wet, it's pretty much too late.

*shrug* Hawk Blues are famous for their corrosiveness. Even among all the other corrosive track pads out there, Hawk Blues are almost universally reviled for their ability to ruin wheels and destroy paint jobs. If the dust got wet, it's pretty much too late.
    Ouch, that sucks. There isn't much you can do about corrosiveness other than maybe waxing your wheels before an event and cleaning them immediately after but if you are just trying to get baked on dust, I've found A2Z to be very effective - just be careful, it's pretty strong.

---Eric

Cleaning

No. Hawk Blue dust does not come off once it gets wet. I strongly recommend using a different pad.
    Just hope it's not on your paint, because the only way I've ever heard of to get it off is to strip the car and repaint.
    The brake dust was only on my rims. I spent a lot of time cleaning them and I got them 90 to 95% clean. The residual brake dust will come off, but it's taking a lot of elbow grease. I've used soaps, paint thinner, brake cleaner and several wheel cleaners. None of this stuff has harmed the rims. It's just been a lot of work.
    I think I'm going to try an oven cleaner next.
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    2007 GT3
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

It sounds funny, but I use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pads to get the Hawk Blue dust off of my TD Pro-Race 1 wheels. (My basketweaves are a lost cause.)

Quote Originally Posted by Barry
    The brake dust was only on my rims. I spent a lot of time cleaning them and I got them 90 to 95% clean. The residual brake dust will come off, but it's taking a lot of elbow grease. I've used soaps, paint thinner, brake cleaner and several wheel cleaners. None of this stuff has harmed the rims. It's just been a lot of work.
    I think I'm going to try an oven cleaner next.
    Barry
    Try using an old piece of claybar. It should pull some of the embedded stuff out.

---Eric

Depending on how much you like the wheels, you can go to Oven cleaner to get the crud off. If you're using Hawks you're probably also using dedicated track wheels Performance Friction pads are similar. I've had good luck with Carbotech pads as an easier to clean alternative.

MarcPlante
    Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4
    Vienna, VA

NOXON from Home Depot, it is in a green bottle, it is a Stainless Steel cleaner for sinks and such. It has some fine abrassives in it. Works wonders on wheels. I had the same Hawk Blue dust in my wheels, never again.

http://www.carbotecheng.com

Promising

Quote Originally Posted by white_2kgt
    NOXON from Home Depot, it is in a green bottle, it is a Stainless Steel cleaner for sinks and such. It has some fine abrassives in it. Works wonders on wheels. I had the same Hawk Blue dust in my wheels, never again.
    http://www.carbotecheng.com
    This sounds promising.
    I'll get some today and try it.
    Thanks,
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    2007 GT3