Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Cheap way to find out why Service Engine Soon coming on...

Thread: Cheap way to find out why Service Engine Soon coming on...

Cheap way to find out why Service Engine Soon coming on...

My 2001 M3 Service Engine Soon light came on during run-of-the-mill spirited driving last week. Not the filler cap (topped off gas tank and double checked) and no strange sounds, power loss, etc. Went out of warranty in June, and a sensor was replaced under warranty during its last visit (June 8th).

Any recommendations on a good independent mechanic near Fairfax/Chantilly to take a look at it? I feel like every time I drive near the dealer I get 200 dollars sucked out of my wallet.

Thanks!

I have two suggestions. 1) Find someone who has a Peake OBD tool that will read. (I have one btw and I work in Chantilly). 2) You could try Ron Willis at Manassas Motorwerks (301-393-1500). He specializes in BMWs. I went to him to have my car inspected for the most recent DE. He is a bit of a 2002 nut, and has several 2002s including one set up for endurance races.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Which sensor was replaced?

-- Jason

Thanks for the help- The sensor they replaced on my last visit was the Pulse Generator on the exhaust cam. Is this a common failure?

Since I work in Manassas, I may just stop by Manassas Motorwerks.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond
    Thanks for the help- The sensor they replaced on my last visit was the Pulse Generator on the exhaust cam. Is this a common failure?

Since I work in Manassas, I may just stop by Manassas Motorwerks.
    The exhaust camshaft position sensor is a pretty common failure on regular E46's. I don't see why the M3 would be any different. Does your SES light go on and off? How many miles on your car?

It's been on steady now for almost a week, and the car has 18.5k miles on it.

Thread Information