Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Winter Tires?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Winter Tires?

Winter Tires?

I am in the market for winter tires for my 03 530i sport. Does anyone have any recommendations? I live in Baltimore, MD where snow is not as bad as icy conditions. When it does snow, it is not unusually to get 2-5 inches.

My primary concerns are tread life and traction. I have heard that snow tires wear fairly fast. This is made worst by the fact that I drive to Washington, DC daily. I intend to use the winter tires from late November to earlier March.

Thanks.

Banned
    Vredsteins from Radial Tire in Silver Spring. Great dry traction and handling. Get wet handling. Excellent in the snow. I put my on around the first week in December depending on the weather and remove Mid March.
    They can also set you up with a set of cheap wheels for the snows. You haven't lived in DC/Balt area all that long have you. We usaully get 15-24 in snow storm every 3 years or so. 6" isn't that unusual.

Vredsteins last. Blizzaks can be scary in the wet and dry. Michelin Alpins are the only snow tire out there that may be slightly better than Vredstein but not for the difference in price. I have been using Vredsteins for snow tires since approx 1990 and they have always performed well on a variety of cars.

Be careful getting tire from Tire Rack or Discount Tire. Sometimes the mounting and balancing negates any savings or ends up costing you more than at Radial Tire. Radial Tire last Mar $10 per tire for mounting and balancing. Some of Tire Racks recommended shops charge $30 to 40 a tire.

I've also been very happy with my Vredsteins. Snow tires will typically wear MUCH faster if you use them in warmer weather. I probably won't be putting mine on until sometime late in December.

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

I recommend the Vredsteins over Blizzaks for our area. The Blizzacks where better in snow but sucked on dry. The Vredsteins are great on dry, not as good as Blizzacks in snow. Everything is a tradeoff. For the amount of snow we get, get the Vredsteins.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Thanks guys...I will check out the vredsteins!

Guess we'll be splitting the comission.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Folks:

I have seen these recommendations from all you folks for the Vredsteins all over the place.

With my current situation of being a wheel down (due to a cracK) I have been looking at various options and have just spotted some 18" wheels that I like. I was thinking of getting a winter setup done on these wheels, while I try to get the crack repaired or for someone to be selling my wheel on ebay.

Now for a E46 M3 do you recommend
    1. A Winter setup on 18" wheels?
    2. Have any idea of how much the Vredsteins might run?

Thanks!
    Pranu

Quote Originally Posted by pranu View Post
    Folks:

I have seen these recommendations from all you folks for the Vredsteins all over the place.

With my current situation of being a wheel down (due to a cracK) I have been looking at various options and have just spotted some 18" wheels that I like. I was thinking of getting a winter setup done on these wheels, while I try to get the crack repaired or for someone to be selling my wheel on ebay.

Now for a E46 M3 do you recommend
    1. A Winter setup on 18" wheels?
    2. Have any idea of how much the Vredsteins might run?

Thanks!
    Pranu
    1. I ran Dunlop Wintersport M3s on 18" OEM wheels. If I knew about Vreds at the time, I would have selected those.

2. Call Radial Tire and ask.

-- Jason

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    Vredsteins from Radial Tire in Silver Spring. Great dry traction and handling. Get wet handling. Excellent in the snow. I put my on around the first week in December depending on the weather and remove Mid March.
    They can also set you up with a set of cheap wheels for the snows.

Vredsteins last.
    What he said. I used one set of Vredesteins for 7 winter seasons averaging over 3,000 miles each winter. They never let me down, even on ski trips to the north of Quebec City. They're quiet and handle well in the dry. I'll only be replacing them this season due to a sidewall cut by a sharp limb. If it wasn't for the occasional track day or autocross with my 328 I'd consider using them year-round.
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 09-21-2006 at 10:17 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I am running Dunlop Wintersport M3s on my E46 M. I have heard great things first-hand from a friend who runs them on his E46 M as well as a CLK 430.

My 18" winter setup is:

225/45R18
    245/40R18
    STOCK /// ED '11 E90 M3 : Space Grey/Fox Red/4MY : 2MT : ZPP : ZTP : 6NF : 6FL : 465 : 494 : 5AC : 639 : 655 : 752 ///
    MODS /// Painted Reflectors : OEM Gloss Black Kidneys : VentureShield : 18" Winter Pkg ///

I just spoke to Paul at Radial Tire - he was recommending Toyo's - I have arranged to meet him next week.

He is also going to help me with my wheels - so let's see what I end up doing.

But from all the reading that I have been doing on this forum there are two recommendations that cannot be missed - Vredesteins and Springfield Auto Body

Will update you guys after I go over to Radial Tire.

Thanks for your input.

Banned
    Toyo makes a winter tire?

Dave Apker

I was also a bit confused - was wondering if he heard me right when I was speaking of getting a second setup as my winter setup.

But at the end of the call he did say that he can get me a perfect winter setup when I swing by the shop. So I am guessing he did hear me right.

Will inquire further about it and let you know!

Banned
    Actually Toyo does make a winter tire the Observe. I would still go with Vredstein or Michelin. I need snows on steel wheels for my new Element and need to get rid of the POS Goodyear Wrangler's that came stock on it. So for 3 seasons Michelin LTX M&S or Pirelli Scorpions since the vehicle is on dirt/gravel farm roads at least once a week and then either Vredsteins new designer snow tire or Michelin's new snow tire. I talk to Sam and see what kind of deal I can get. Man Paul needs to have a $10K club for his best customers with a special lounge with live entertainment and food from some of Wheatons and Rockville's best Cantonese restaurants.

Bring singles, 5, 10s and 20s for the live entertainment and a empty stomach. Works for me. Just dont tell your wife Stephen! Honey I have to go Radial Tire for my free balancing. No honey that was on the Mini the E30 needs its tires balanced and rotated. Do you have any singles dear? Oooops.

Dave Apker and the collies
    Last edited by OwnedbyDuncan; 09-22-2006 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pranu View Post
    I just spoke to Paul at Radial Tire - he was recommending Toyo's - I have arranged to meet him next week.
    I think the guys at Radial Tire get kcikbacks from Toyo or something. They are always pushing Toyos.

I bought a set of winter wheels with Dunlop wintersport M2s (the older version of the m3) and they were fine last winter. They are cheaper than the Vredesteins but I can't say which one is a better value in the long run since the Vreds seem to last so long.
    -Hampton

Thread Information