Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Refinishing Rims

Thread: Refinishing Rims

Refinishing Rims

I picked up a set of 4 MK Motorsport rims at the last swap meet at RRT. These rims look decent, but have a thick (and now chipping) coat of hazy, yellowing clearcoat on them. My intention is to remove this clearcoat layer myself, polish the aluminum as needed and re-clearcoat.

I was curious if any members out there have done this themselves and have advice for the DIY'er. I know I can have this done, but I'd rather do it myself and save some $$$ (even if this does take me all winter long).

Any suggestions or links to good resources? I've Googled a bunch of stuff but I feel more comfortable taking advice from local club members versus some unknown website on the Internet.

Thanks in advance,

George

Do it slowly. Use a chemical that will not abuse the polished section of the wheel. I would get a junk wheel to practice with. I did my two sets of BBS RS but I split them when I do the removal of clear coat. That way the center does not need to be refinished.

Check with Keith Lambert of Goose Creek Finishing, in Waterford VA (outside Leesburg). He does powdercoating, which entails stripping before the coating. 703-728-6847.

www.goosecreekfinishing.com
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Thread Information