Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
New Member in need of some help

Thread: New Member in need of some help

New Member in need of some help

Hey guys, new member here. Just bought a 2004 330i, had it checked out pre purchase by a guy I believed was a reputable mechanic at Prestige Motors in Stafford, and got the thumbs up for purchase. Brought it to BMW for the air bag recall and got a laundry list of repairs so long it made my eyes bleed. Who do you all recommend for independent shops in the DC/NOVA area? I'm in Stafford but am resigned to the fact I'm probably going to have to travel a bit to find a decent shop. If you have any recommendations for the few that are in between Stafford and DC, that would be perfect. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jonfhoffman View Post
    Just bought a 2004 330i, had it checked out pre purchase by a guy I believed was a reputable mechanic at Prestige Motors in Stafford, and got the thumbs up for purchase. Brought it to BMW for the air bag recall and got a laundry list of repairs so long it made my eyes bleed. Who do you all recommend for independent shops in the DC/NOVA area? I'm in Stafford but am resigned to the fact I'm probably going to have to travel a bit to find a decent shop. If you have any recommendations for the few that are in between Stafford and DC, that would be perfect.
    1. Dang...

2. Did you buy the car from Prestige Motors, or just hire them to inspect the car?

3. Either way, do you have legal recourse? If they sold the car can you make them take it back? If they inspected the car can you at least get your money back? (This assumes you don't still want the car after this...)

4. I live in MD and while I have over a decade of experience with these guys and recommend them highly, they're not exactly convenient to your location...

I, too, got a list of items to be addressed when one of the E46 airbags was replaced. Not all are critical or crucial to operation, but I can't say until seeing the list. I don't know any independents on the south-side, but there are some as you get closer (Springfield, etc). Do/can you do any of your own repairs?
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Dang is right! I didn't buy from Prestige, just took it there for the PPI, and back for brakes. Legal recourse probably only against the independent shop that passed the car for safety inspection, but if they aren't legally obliged to pay (which is the way I understand it), I'm not sure it's worth my hassle. The dealer likely knew the car was in the state it's in, but since it was sold as is, and they took it elsewhere to get inspected, I'm pretty sure they're bullet proof.

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    I, too, got a list of items to be addressed when one of the E46 airbags was replaced. Not all are critical or crucial to operation, but I can't say until seeing the list. I don't know any independents on the south-side, but there are some as you get closer (Springfield, etc). Do/can you do any of your own repairs?
    I think I'm going to take a hack at everything. Nothing really crucial, and the car isn't really a daily driver, so I should be able to take care of it all on my own time. If anyone knows someone in Stafford with a lift...I could get it all done really fast haha.

Upon revising, it's not awful. Trans pan leak, shifter seal leak, oil filter housing leak, cracked rear springs (the real bad one that pissed me off), all new belts and pulley, new DISA. Only one I'm considering taking it to the shop for is the shifter seal because it seems like a lot of work to get to, but it's also at the bottom of the list. Also all fluids needs to be changed (standard stuff there).

Quote Originally Posted by jonfhoffman View Post
    I think I'm going to take a hack at everything. Nothing really crucial, and the car isn't really a daily driver, so I should be able to take care of it all on my own time. If anyone knows someone in Stafford with a lift...I could get it all done really fast haha.
    Well... There IS a DIY at BMW of Sterling coming up on May 6th... the registration deadline is April 22nd... Even if you can't get in you can probably get a lot of free advice from the people who did get in... And even in the stunningly unlikely event that none of them have anything to say to you, Cars & Coffee -AND- the New Member Reception are also going on outside at the same time & place...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesAustin View Post
    Well... There IS a DIY at BMW of Sterling coming up on May 6th... the registration deadline is April 22nd... Even if you can't get in you can probably get a lot of free advice from the people who did get in... And even in the stunningly unlikely event that none of them have anything to say to you, Cars & Coffee -AND- the New Member Reception are also going on outside at the same time & place...
    I'm on the waiting list for the 5/6 event. Hoping I can get in because the car needs some work pretty quickly.

Thread Information