Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Drivers School Oct 8-9 - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Drivers School Oct 8-9

I would like to thank everyone @ NCC for putting on yet another excellent school. Saturday was an incredible learning experience - but it was fun at the same time. Today was incredibly fun and I also learned a bit. My only regret is that there are no more schools this year
    Thank you again
    ~Colin
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Diriclet
    My only regret is that there are no more schools this year
    Thank you again
    ~Colin
    4 weekends a year are enough.
    Having rain on Saturday is always better than rain on Sunday which is also better than having rain for to days. It's no fun standing out in the rain for 8 hours. Glad there that were no incidents two report.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Banned
    A previous chief instructor loved rain at least for the instructors track sessions. Dave got on my case one time for not getting him out quick enough on the wet rrack after a brief shower.

Dave Bryan always said you learn ten times as much on a wet track than you do a dry one. Always preferred a wet track both days as a student.

Dave Apker

Banned
    BTW I find accuweather.com pretty accurate within about 24 hours. Their hourly forecast by zip code is pretty close especially for Berryville/Summit Point. Need to know what gear to bring to sheep herding trials. Nothing better than driving home from Berryville to Clifton with a wet collie whose coat is covered with mud and smells of Eau Du Sheep Poop! Also like NOAA weather radio. Doug, Bob et al on Local TV just dont cut it. They should be replaced with weather bimbos in short skirts!

I came over and watched some and BSd with some people. What I was wondering was why, on Saturday in th rain, were people driving the dry line? At least over onteh main circuit the dry line was slicker than SNOT. So the only way to get around quickly was to do anywhere BUT the dry line. Looking for traction.

BTW I LIKE the rain, qualified 7th in a field of 26 (was 5th after the first session).
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
    SCCA Spec Racer Ford Red/White

Not Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone
    I came over and watched some and BSd with some people. What I was wondering was why, on Saturday in th rain, were people driving the dry line? At least over onteh main circuit the dry line was slicker than SNOT. So the only way to get around quickly was to do anywhere BUT the dry line. Looking for traction.

BTW I LIKE the rain, qualified 7th in a field of 26 (was 5th after the first session).
    As a racer, I know the wet line on Summit Point's main cirsuit. For example, in turn 10, the outside lane (no where near the apex) has a lot of grip. So, on Saturday we found that turn 5 on the Jefferson, for example, had a ton of grip. Through experimentation I found the wet line in several turns.
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    =====================================
    2007 328xi Coupe in sparkling graphite
    2007 GT3
    ======================================
    1999 Civic Si: Races in SCCA showroom stock C
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SC...01_04_0067.htm

I had a blast for the school. Both the rain and dry day where excellent. I think it was a good thing that we had the wet day first which allowed us to learn the feel of the car when it lets go on both understeer and oversteer.

It gave me more confidence for sunday.

I wanted to thank the NCC for puting on a great event. What a blast. Unfortunately, I think I'm hooked. Anyone want to be the next autocross chair? I might have to divert more time for this.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Unfortunately, I think I'm hooked. Anyone want to be the next autocross chair? I might have to divert more time for this.

Pete
    Funny how this happens. More time indeed (and more money, but well worth it).

Pete, I'll send you those email addresses this evening when I get home.

Todd

Talking

I just want to say that I had a blast -- and to thank all of the instructors, (Bill Shook, Bob Hopkins, Gary Ketner, and Bob Briggs and Pete read, especially) Adil, Steven and all the corner workers for such a good school. I had a few epiphanies and learned significantly more car control this weekend than I think I did all of last year. (Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much.)

I'm also glad to see that Eric, Pete and many other first-timers, not only learned a lot and had fun, but are also hooked (it's like crack, I tell ya). And I was glad to see that Todd was able to resist spending two straight days on the couch, watching football. (J/K)

----

Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone
    Terry, at least in my run group, we definitely played around and found a wet line -- I don't know if it was the wet line, but it seemed to work. BTW, can you send me the website for the DL1 acquisition system that we were talking about? (Thanks)

--

PS -- Apologies to Pete Read for the omission of your shout-out (it's what I get for posting shortly after coming out of hibernation).
    Last edited by SharkD; 10-11-2005 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    And I was glad to see that Todd was able to resist spending two straight days on the couch, watching football. (J/K)
    Hey, the Hokies weren't on TV on Sunday so there was no need to be on the couch that day.

And who knew I'd be able to catch the end of the Astros-Braves game when I got home around 6:30pm? Were you even done packing up by then?

Thumbs up

Just wanted to my thanks as well to NCC staff for another great event! This is only my 3rd school and the learning curve is still quite steep for me. I got more experience with under- and oversteer on Saturday than in all my previous 28 years of driving on the street! I also got to practice some evasive manuvers as well, narrowly avoiding a car that spun right in front of me exiting T7.

Can't wait until the Spring,

--Jim
    2002 M3 6MT

Now people may start to understand when they ask me at an autocross, you having fun? NO. 4 runs at 50 seconds each. Then stand around and go home. I'll tell you what fun it. DEs. Driving schools can be very addictive. There are those you see for a few events then never again. But then there are those who you see everywhere. I opted not to go down to VIR with Audi or Synergy. No more money.

You guys have to experience different tracks. Don't think you need to master one track before going somewhere else. Every track is different but you still use the same techniques elsewhere. A little lift out of the carousel on the main track gets you pointing in the right direction just like a little lift entering snake at VIR. The fun is applying what you use one place somewhere else.

And they real fun is when you are driving with a different club and comfortable going off line or using different techniques. You will be amazed to see the different skill levels at various tracks.

Glad everyone had a good time.

We do need a coordinator for next year. Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to drive but you will get credits for future driving schools. Basically you are there to keep the school on schedule among other things. We need someone familiar with driving schools.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Banned
    Only credits for future schools for being drivers school coordinator. Man, you used to get drivers schools for life!

Dave Apker

Smile

What a great way to spend the weekend! Much thanks to the NCC Driver's School Staff and to the rain on Saturday. I have always asked for more skidpad sessions on my evaluation forms and Saturday I was able to get 5 skidpad sessions.

The NCC Driver's Schools are great to meet other people with a similar addiction. Guess it's a little like group therapy, huh?

Anybody planning on attending the Audi event at VIR in November???
    Tom Buchanan
    BMW CCA Instructor
    ============================================
    1999 M3 (Track Rat)
    2002 540i 6-speed (My Car)
    1999 Acura 3.2 TL (Wife's Car)
    2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali (Family Mobile and Tow Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    Now people may start to understand when they ask me at an autocross, you having fun? NO. 4 runs at 50 seconds each. Then stand around and go home. I'll tell you what fun it. DEs. Driving schools can be very addictive. There are those you see for a few events then never again. But then there are those who you see everywhere. I opted not to go down to VIR with Audi or Synergy. No more money.
    Although I had a great time out there, I still enjoy autocrossing. I can understand why some people complain about the seat-time autocrossing but I think they are missing part of the fun of autocrossing. Notice how many people mention how much they like meeting people with similar automotive addictions or complain about how the costs associated with attending a DE. Autocrossing is much less expensive, more frequent and also has a great group of people out there.

I won't be quitting autocrossing but I will be attending a few more DE's next year. I REALLY enjoyed Sunday. Saturday was simply painful for me. I admit I enjoyed the skidpad in the rain. I had a much more difficult time on Sundays as some patches were started to dry. Some people enjoy driving in the rain. I guess I'm just not one of those people.

I know everyone says you learn soo much more in the rain but I REALLY hate driving in the rain. Maybe I would have enjoyed Saturday more had it not been my first event but with the stress from this being my first event, being soaked and the added stress of hating driving in the rain it really took a lot of the fun out of it for me. When I left on Saturday I really wasn't looking forward to Sunday. I didn't think I would be attending any DEs next year but after driving in the dry, my attitude changed. I learned a lot out there and realized how many of the things I struggle with autocrossing were the exact same things I had issues with on the track. The big difference was I had a lot more time to work on them. Now that I have had some seat time I'm just wondering if I'm actually going to remember to apply the things I learned. I guess I'll find out at the next autocross.

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

Thread Information