Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
New BMW owner on a lark - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New BMW owner on a lark

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyinDC View Post
    The fluid I took out was pretty black (I don't have a good sense of smell). Eyeballing it, we think I added as much as we removed.
    A lot of DIY instructions I've seen say to do just that; drain, measure what you drained, and replace with the same amount. But this assumes you had enough when you started, and I don't think that's safe to assume, especially when a) the fluid looks bad so probably hasn't been changed in awhile, and b) you're getting transmission-related warning lights and codes, which having too little fluid can definitely cause. (I found that out the hard way.)

I'm still leaning towards bond an intact nut/bolt head to the plug, and if that doesn't work, drop the pan & wedge a rag against the back of the plug to catch any metal shavings if your screw extractor penetrates the plug, and if even that doesn't work, drill the dang thing out. And then call Dimple Magnetics and ask if they have a more conventionally shaped magnetic replacement plug you can use...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesAustin View Post
    you're getting transmission-related warning lights and codes, which having too little fluid can definitely cause. (I found that out the hard way.)
    Most of the comment online I've read suggest that the most common reason for the light is after an alternator or battery issue--which is what I had (both now replaced). I think I pass inspection with the light so I could get the car registered. I need to pass a gas cap test (should be fine), visual cat inspection (should be fine) and clear what I hope is the last code. I *hope* replacing the camshaft and crankshaft and O2 sensors will clear the code (aaaaaaaand take car of the transmission light).

I had thought of JB Welding something to the fill plug to use to screw it off, just need to get the first things done first. And brakes and steering would be nice too, not that I'm trying to be picky.

Some progress: replaced the broken hood shock with a Crazy Ray's one for an E46 which seems to be shorter. I'll change the good one with the mate from the other so at least they'll match. Nice to have to have the hood stay open without the stick!

Also changed the problematic O2 sensor (only one so far, will do all four), but I broke the bigger hose right next to it.

Actually, the hose had been broken and "fixed" with electrical tape upon closer inspection. I've done the same until I can identify and replace the hose:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...5&d=1370111299
    Last edited by BradleyinDC; 10-04-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Some progress: replaced the broken hood shock with a Crazy Ray's one for an E46 which seems to be shorter. I'll change the good one with the mate from the other so at least they'll match. Nice to have to have the hood stay open without the stick!
    I don't know about interchange parts on the E39 (haven't had to change mine yet), but some open further than others. Many E28 owners use E23 or E24 hood shocks to open wider!
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Also changed the problematic O2 sensor (only one so far, will do all four), but I broke the bigger hose right next to it.

Actually, the hose had been broken and "fixed" with electrical tape upon closer inspection. I've done the same until I can identify and replace the hose:

Is this the hose for that part?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E39-525i...JTn~Wa&vxp=mtr

Search result: 11721435456 - Pressure hose assembly
    BMW 528i E39 Sedan USA M52
    #5 in the diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...50#11721435456
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    Search result: 11721435456 - Pressure hose assembly
    BMW 528i E39 Sedan USA M52
    #5 in the diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...50#11721435456
    Thank you so much, John! I'm not sure that's right, based just on the simple diagram there.
    EDIT: Googling the part number on other sites with other diagrams and pics, yes, that is the part I need. Thanks!!!!

And to clarify, I need the hose that fits on here:
    Last edited by BradleyinDC; 10-07-2016 at 08:13 AM.

Some updates on progress. Yesterday I replaced the other pre-cat O2 sensor (it's tip was white too) and the intake camshaft position sensor and the steering fluid reservoir and hoses (no more Honda one!). I tried but still haven't succeeded in getting off the 5mm Allen screw for the exhaust camshaft sensor, nor have I found the other end for the mystery hose...
    Last edited by BradleyinDC; 10-07-2016 at 08:02 AM.

Thanks to everyone for their help today, Phillip for organizing, Kevin for hosting, mostly to James and Brian for all of the help!, the Academy...

All brake pads, rotors and sensors replaced--no more dash light! First time for that one. And the braking on the way home in the rain was much improved.

Also replaced the two VANOS crush washers, I think they're called, where one was missing and causing an oil leak, and replaced the O-rings to the hoses to the cooler.

Crossed off some things on the list--but added a few more. Still, progress!

EDIT: oh, and got my headlights polished--a million times better! Thanks!
    Last edited by BradleyinDC; 10-08-2016 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth641 View Post
    wow.. looks fantastic.. marvelous
    Thanks, Beth. Those were the "before" pics!

And to clarify, I need the hose that fits on here:
    I thought I responded to the post about the hose on the valve yesterday - must have been distracted before hitting the "post" button! The diagram shows the hose in two parts with a pipe separating them.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2203
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Yes you did, thanks, John. Internet gremlins on my part. At the DIY we confirmed the part--and the suggestion I remove it all of the secondary air system and block it off and reflash the computer. For right now, I just need to make sure the taped pipe works enough not to cause a code to pass the emissions inspection.

Ill post more updates on progress later but sometimes it's the little things: Crazy Rays run now both hood shocks are E39 and working AND REPLACED THE WINDOW MECHANISM FOR THE DRIVERS WINDOW!

Major updates: took off intake manifold and repaired for the mystery hose now attached. All vacuum hoses replaced. CVV and all four hoses replaced. Intake manifold and throttle body gaskets replaced.

New (Crazy Rays) air box with working latches and plastic hose from secondary air pump replaced.

Fixed crazy wiring mistakes. Electrical connectors for MAF and alternator were switched!

Oh and no OBD codes and no dash lights except airbag! ��

Thread Information