Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Radar detectors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Radar detectors

Radar detectors

So...give me the lowdown. No way I can use my brand new X50 B when I move to NoVa? From what I have read the cops seem to be intense. Is speeding basically out of the question?
    My buildup/teardown (ongoing)
    My Seller Feedback
    FOR SALE:

DIY List

Quote Originally Posted by old skool
    So...give me the lowdown. No way I can use my brand new X50 B when I move to NoVa? From what I have read the cops seem to be intense. Is speeding basically out of the question?
    They can confiscate radar detectors although I don't know anyone who had to surrender it. Not sure if it is 20 or 22 over the limit is considered reckless and requires a court appearance. I think Fairfax County is the most brutal of the counties in NoVA. Good luck. Stay out of the left lane and welcome.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Is there any point in even driving with one if it is so easy to get a ticket for it?
    My Seller Feedback
    FOR SALE:

DIY List

The roads and traffic here don't jive with speeding or weaving. Just face this is traffic gridlock on a daily basis. If you want to drive quick take a trip out to the Mtn's.

Is there any point in even driving with one if it is so easy to get a ticket for it?
    My tickets are generally written down as paced. I hardly get picked off by RADAR. I'm not saying a good RADAR detector is a waste. They have reminded me of the speed on more than several occasions. When you consider I66 is a 6 lane highway with a speed limit of 55, it's easy to find yourself going 70.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Banned

Speeding in NOVA

Places not speed Rossyln, Clarendon and Ballston corridor along WIlson and Clarendon Blvd. Speed limit is 25mph and enforced.
    Rt 66 and beltway they start writing tickets at 68mph or 13mph over posted.
    On secondary roads where the speed limit is 45 mph traffic typically non rush hour travels at about 60mph without ticket problems.

FCPD will strictly enforce speeding ins chool zones. They love to sit out front of WIllow Springs ELemnetary on Braddock Rd and write 20-30 tickets or more in 30 minutes.

20mph or more is a mandatory court appearance and a Class 1 misdemeanor not a just a traffic offense.

Typically on Rt 66 they set up speed traps Eastbound right before you get to the Rt 50 exit and the left ahnd side and inside the beltway right before Rt 7 exit. Westbound speed traps are after the entrance ramp from Fairfax Dr and before the exit for Falls Church. They also have a speed trap at the same point on Rt 66 after thr Rt 50 interchange. Then in the median after after Rt 7100. State Police and FCPD run these speed traps and they also use unmarked. FCPD has a 2004 Mustang and several unmarked Tahoes and Expeditions.

I dont speed in residential areas or in school zones. The town of Clifton strictly enforces the 25mph speed limit during rush hour.

When I used to work at the Washington Navy Yard I used to leave my house which is less than 5 minutes from Rt 66 and Rt 7100 at 0455 and be on the Navy Yard to get a close to my office parking spot by 0520hrs.

You cant run triple digit speeds on 95, 395, 495 and Rt 66 but 10mph is not a problem and traffic is usually running at about 70mph during non rush hour without a problem.

FCPD and VA State Police are predictable in where they run radar and speed enforcement.

Banned
    BTW I have never owned a radar detector. Never needed one. And have not had a speeding ticket in about 10yrs.

Last ticket I got was an HOV violation on RT66 becasue I used the HOV lane to pass a bunch of slower cars. Better than the Reckless I could have got if the trooper had his radar up in running becasue I was at least 25mph over. AT that time jsut a fine and no point. ANd it wasn't a moving violation.

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    They can confiscate radar detectors although I don't know anyone who had to surrender it. Not sure if it is 20 or 22 over the limit is considered reckless and requires a court appearance.

According to a couple of friends of mine on the force in Arlington & Alexandria, 20 over the limit, or anything in excess of 80mph is considered reckless & the HOV lanes on 395 are considered fertile ground for speeding tickets and reckless citations.

I never used to carry a detector, however I received two tickets in 6 mo-a year after buying the BMW. (I wasn't speeding any more than normal)

The last ticket I was driving on a freeway that has no area on the right or left for a cop to sit and traffic flows at 70 every day but the speed limit is 55. I was in traffic, going the speed limit, got over into the long (and fun) exit ramp with no one in front of me and immediately mashed the gas. As soon as I looked up, I saw a cop sitting in the hashed white "V" that separates the exit ramp from the rest of the freeway and he got me with laser. I was going 90 I think. That sucked big time. I fought it and got the reckless removed and the ticket reduced. However it cost me a lot of money.

So now I have 4 points on my licence and I have to wait for 3 years to dump those tickets and will experience increased insurance cost. The other time was the same basic situation, traffic was blocking view of the cop, "hiding" on the side of the road, I pull off right to go on to the freeway and get tagged with laser.

Now that I have the radar detector, I realize no cops here use radar. They don't drive with radar on either. They all use laser. However, twice since I got the detector I have picked up the laser in traffic and slowed down while I was still out of view of the cops.
    My Seller Feedback
    FOR SALE:

DIY List

I never used to carry a detector, however I received two tickets in 6 mo-a year after buying the BMW. (I wasn't speeding any more than normal)

The last ticket I was driving on a freeway that has no area on the right or left for a cop to sit and traffic flows at 70 every day but the speed limit is 55. I was in traffic, going the speed limit, got over into the long (and fun) exit ramp with no one in front of me and immediately mashed the gas. As soon as I looked up, I saw a cop sitting in the hashed white "V" that separates the exit ramp from the rest of the freeway and he got me with laser. I was going 90 I think. That sucked big time. I fought it and got the reckless removed and the ticket reduced. However it cost me a lot of money.

So now I have 4 points on my licence and I have to wait for 3 years to dump those tickets and will experience increased insurance cost. The other time was the same basic situation, traffic was blocking view of the cop, "hiding" on the side of the road, I pull off right to go on to the freeway and get tagged with laser.

Now that I have the radar detector, I realize no cops here use radar. They don't drive with radar on either. They all use laser. However, twice since I got the detector I have picked up the laser in traffic and slowed down while I was still out of view of the cops.
    Lidatek. Period. End oif story.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Is that legal and can it be detected? Does it work?
    My Seller Feedback
    FOR SALE:

DIY List

Yes it works. VERY WELL. It can only be detected by a laser gun that doesn't doesn't get a reading/throws up an error message. This has never been a problem for me.

It's not legal in 8 states. But so what?

Any info on brand/where to buy? Do they use a lot of laser in the DC/VA/MD area?
    My Seller Feedback
    FOR SALE:

DIY List

Any info on brand/where to buy? Do they use a lot of laser in the DC/VA/MD area?
    Dude, google "lidatek"

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
    Dude, google "lidatek"
    Thanks.
    I already did that.
    I guess what I am asking is for feedback from those of you who drive in the area every day: do the cops use laser often, does it work in your experience.

No big deal though. I will probably just see what I think after driving around for a month or so.
    My Seller Feedback
    FOR SALE:

DIY List

Thread Information